maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Nokia N9 with Skype drains the battery (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80204)

mikhailmv 2011-11-22 08:13

Nokia N9 with Skype drains the battery

Decided to make a separate thread.

I got Nokia N9 imported from Singapore. Updated it to PR_1.1 Nothern Europe version using NavFirm and flasher (used DFL61_HARMATTAN_20.2011.40-4_PR_LEGACY_001-OEM1-958_ARM.bin image).

I have set up the Nokia, Google and Skype accounts.

If I am using the WiFi internet connection the battery holds pretty decent (I got decline of 10% in 15 hours).

If I am using the 3G internet connection the battery drains like crazy (I got decline of about 6% an hour). It is visible that the internet connection becomes active every 5-10 seconds (the 3.5G icon gets blue for few seconds than gets white again).

I decided to play with the accounts and noticed that as soon as I delete the Skype account the battery life gets back to normal (about 1% an hour).

I really need the Skype running.

Are there any thoughts of how to fix this?

Thank you.

dolphins 2011-11-22 08:24

Re: Nokia N9 with Skype drains the battery

i don't think there's anything particularly wrong here

3G uses more battery than wifi of course
and connect-disconnect requires a little more battery since it needs to initiate data whereas with a known wifi the device only has to check if it exists (when it needs to switch to wifi) and will connect to it, not to mention wifi has power saving mode.

in any case, initiating 3G every 5-10 seconds is seriously unnecessary. i'm surprised the drain isn't a lot bigger

I would suggest you keep your 3G always on (hopefully you have enough data allotted to you). it should lower the usage

butilities 2011-11-22 08:25

does it gets hot?

mikhailmv 2011-11-22 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by dolphins (Post 1127199)
i don't think there's anything particularly wrong here

3G uses more battery than wifi of course
and connect-disconnect requires a little more battery since it needs to initiate data whereas with a known wifi the device only has to check if it exists (when it needs to switch to wifi) and will connect to it, not to mention wifi has power saving mode.

in any case, initiating 3G every 5-10 seconds is seriously unnecessary. i'm surprised the drain isn't a lot bigger

I would suggest you keep your 3G always on (hopefully you have enough data allotted to you). it should lower the usage

I tried to keep 3g on at all times for like 6 hours. The drain did not get any lower. But as I said it happens only with the Skype account set up. Without Skype everything looks normal ( though of course the 3G usage is higer than wifi). Plus I noticed that the amount of data transferred when connecting via 3g is 10 times higher than when connected via WiFi (over the same period of idle time).

zlatko 2011-11-22 08:46

@mikhailmv
My suggestion to you should be - turn off "dual mode", stick to plain simple GSM(EDGE).
It is more than sufficient for IM chat, and even you can get pretty OK voice over GTalk or Skype.
PS. I am speaking from my experience with E61&N900 here. Things might be different with N9 though...

mikhailmv 2011-11-22 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by zlatko (Post 1127213)
@mikhailmv
My suggestion to you should be - turn off "dual mode", stick to plain simple GSM(EDGE).
It is more than sufficient for IM chat, and even you can get pretty OK voice over GTalk or Skype.
PS. I am speaking from my experience with E61&N900 here. Things might be different with N9 though...

As for now I am not in dual but in constant 3g mode.

zlatko 2011-11-22 09:27

@mikhailmv
So then switch to GSM - it will be immediate relieve in battery consumption. No matter Skype or not.

jah25 2011-11-22 09:50

Thnks mikhailmv, I'll start setting skype offline unless I'm making a call.

asianmoomoo 2011-11-22 15:15

hi everyone,

i have the same issue with battery life. i drop 9% of battery in 1 hour. my settings:

Dual network (3G and GSM)
background connections
Automatically connect to my 3G

I have skype but it is disabled..i just removed the account right now (since I do not use it) and I will see if that makes a difference.

I also had my developer mode turned on to fix the wifi tethering bug..but it is now turned off.

What might be the issue with my battery life?

I already cleared my device yesterday..and battery life does not seem to be improving. i am debating should i clear it again but this time, after clearing, do not install the files in developer mode..

any suggestions? i have a 16 gig, singapore model off of Negri, running PR1.1

mikhailmv 2011-11-22 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by zlatko (Post 1127245)
@mikhailmv
So then switch to GSM - it will be immediate relieve in battery consumption. No matter Skype or not.

1. I need 3g mode so that I would be able to talk and use internet at the same time

2. I need Skype both to send/receive messages and to make/receive calls

3. I need background connections enabled, so that my email would be updated (not that important) and I would be receiving incoming connections on the Skype network (very important).

4. Just left the phone sitting idle for 8 hours on 3g without the Skype account. Got the drain about 10% for 8 hours.

5. When I was saying in my first post the the 3g connection is constantly activating every 5-10 seconds because of Skype I was wrong. Even without Skype I noticed that the 3G icon goes blue pretty often (maybe not that often). But it is clear to me never the less that it is Skype that drains battery. Once again there is a huge difference in battery consumption with and without the Skype account set up. 6% per hour with Skype and ~1% per hour without.

6. This huge difference in battery consumption with and without Skype does not occur when the phone is constantly using WiFi, where I got the drain of about 10% for 15hours idle.