maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Marc Dillon left Jolla (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95935)

Dave999 2015-09-07 10:10

Marc Dillon left Jolla

Marc D leaving the ship. should I get worried?

Stskeeps 2015-09-07 10:28

Re: Jolla tablet countup to delivery[Now With Poll]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Norris (Post 1481382)
Marc D leaving the ship. should I get worried?

Chuck Norris shouldn't worry.

MartinK 2015-09-07 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stskeeps (Post 1481386)
Chuck Norris shouldn't worry.

Yeah! Worry should get Chuck Norris!

bockersjv 2015-09-07 20:58

Marc Dillon left Jolla

Or should I say left! Big surprise and looks to be confirmed now. If there was someone I thought would be there to the end it was Marc.

Met him at the launch event and he was a truly inspiring speaker. I didn't see him as the captain of the Jolla ship, more THE ship.

Wish him well in whatever he moves to.

Mod edit:
Corrected thread title

jolla-pirate 2015-09-07 21:04

Re: Marc Dillon leaving Jolla

That surprises me!

salyavin 2015-09-07 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirkvl (Post 1481385)
i believe he is taking more of the role of commodore, governing multiple ships

Ha at first I thought you were comparing Jolla to Commodore. I still have a couple Amigas hanging around from the 80s. That was a company with potential that messed up. I hope Jolla does better.

HtheB 2015-09-07 23:20

Re: Marc Dillon leaving Jolla

What happened??!
:/

This is seriously a bad news to Jolla....
Reminds me of the N9 story....

aegis 2015-09-08 01:23

Re: Marc Dillon left Jolla

Total surprise for me too. Founders often do move on fairly quickly once past the excitement of a startup and perhaps the direction of the company changes so perhaps it's just that.

It does however feel like Jobs left Apple rather than Woz.

HtheB 2015-09-08 01:31

I think that something bad is going at Jolla.
Normally, they would write a blog, a tweet, or whatever to announce it... But there is nothing to be found...

Pretty sure some nda sh*t is going on why they can't tell the reason of his leaving... but I would love to hear from Dillon itself about this...

I know that Dillon really gave his heart on Jolla... And leaving the company even before the tablet is released?........

Copernicus 2015-09-08 02:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1481513)
And leaving the company even before the tablet is released?........

Actually, the most harrowing days for the tablet are in the rear-view mirror. The problems with the display must have had folks at Jolla pulling their hair out. :) But they've managed to get past that, put together a device, and finally get all the pieces in place to get it shipped out. Sure, there has been some last-minute wrangling with logistics, but for all intents and purposes, the tablet is now done.

So, Jolla now has two examples of devices running Sailfish, and they've even netted their first licensee for the OS. At this point, they've pretty much got what they need to sell their product; now, they just need to start making contracts with manufacturers.

I kind of wonder if maybe this is why Dillon is leaving at this point. Jolla is actually kind of well-positioned to start becoming a fairly large concern, and maybe he prefers the freedom of the tiny startup... Anyway, just my own musings here.