maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   new N900- blank screen (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41748)

el3ctronick 2010-01-21 22:49

new N900- blank screen

Just got my N900 today and charged it. Then I switched the phone on. But nothing came up on the screen. I heard the 'nokia' tune play and the keyboard lit up, but that was all. Just a blank screen.
.did some testing...screen remains off..you can hear the classic nokia booting sound, keyboard light on..i installed a sim card without the need of password and then called the number, i can hear the ringing from my standard cellphone(the n900 is on and it shows it can accept calls) but the n900 does not ring at all and nothing happens if i press any of the buttons.

if you connect it to pc, windows shows tha classic menu for external disks..and then i see the files(backgrounds, folders etc of the N900).

i tried to use vanilla on it..nothing happened..in windows 7 32 bit, 64bit, xp 32, it doesnt see any compatible usb device to flash..(in the cmd)..then i tried vista 32..2 times..it started but i saw for the first time blue screen of death in vista!:smileytongue:

flashing does not work at all......

it might be the new shipment of nokia(all defective from scratch!)

any ideas?

thanks

bandora 2010-01-21 22:53

Re: new N900- blank screen

It looks like a cable isn't hooked up right? So the screen isn't turning on? Or it's actually damaged.. So I would get a replacement A.S.A.P. ;)

nashith 2010-01-21 22:53

Might be a bit insulting... did you remove the film protecting the LCD?

el3ctronick 2010-01-21 23:30

lol :P
yeah, i removed it..actually i just used the tv out cable now..i see a line in the middle of the tv screen..seems to be a part of the default N900 background(black n blue) does not respond to any button pressing etc. i saw another guy in nokia forums having exactly the same thing, he also got today's shipment of N900..
seems to be h/w problem to me.. :( i m gonna ask for a replacement tomorrow..i hope i m luckier than today!

nashith 2010-01-21 23:32

Ya, it probably is a hardware fault... sorry I had to mention the screen protector, a friend of a friend didn't remove it and complained that his screen was too dark hehe...

el3ctronick 2010-01-21 23:40

ahahahhahahaha!!:D
well thats ok!
thanks for the response though!:)

el3ctronick 2010-01-24 20:56

yeap, hardware problem..waiting for a replacement now. btw, anybody else that had same experience??

silversnake 2010-02-23 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by el3ctronick (Post 487699)
Just got my N900 today and charged it. Then I switched the phone on. But nothing came up on the screen. I heard the 'nokia' tune play and the keyboard lit up, but that was all. Just a blank screen.
.did some testing...screen remains off..you can hear the classic nokia booting sound, keyboard light on..i installed a sim card without the need of password and then called the number, i can hear the ringing from my standard cellphone(the n900 is on and it shows it can accept calls) but the n900 does not ring at all and nothing happens if i press any of the buttons.

if you connect it to pc, windows shows tha classic menu for external disks..and then i see the files(backgrounds, folders etc of the N900).

i tried to use vanilla on it..nothing happened..in windows 7 32 bit, 64bit, xp 32, it doesnt see any compatible usb device to flash..(in the cmd)..then i tried vista 32..2 times..it started but i saw for the first time blue screen of death in vista!:smileytongue:

flashing does not work at all......

it might be the new shipment of nokia(all defective from scratch!)

any ideas?

thanks

dude, i got the same problem!! did they replace your phone? did they charge anything?

Venomrush 2010-02-23 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by silversnake (Post 542807)
dude, i got the same problem!! did they replace your phone? did they charge anything?

This is a hardware issue and they should replace it for free under warranty.

silversnake 2010-02-23 15:38

i had been using the phone for almost a month right now and this happened all of a sudden so i wasnt sure if it was my fault or the hardwares! btw thanks!

gabby131 2010-02-23 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venomrush (Post 542812)
This is a hardware issue and they should replace it for free under warranty.

aww men! is this another case of "Nokia Screen of Death?"

no such problems, try to remove mmc and reboot, remove battery, install, and reboot.

tchuppskilla 2010-03-26 13:50

The same thing just happened to me, Im completely freaking out! Did you already get your phone back, do you know if I can ship the phone to Nokia USA to get the warranty?
Thanks in advance!

hellnick 2010-03-26 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchuppskilla (Post 583236)
The same thing just happened to me, Im completely freaking out! Did you already get your phone back, do you know if I can ship the phone to Nokia USA to get the warranty?
Thanks in advance!

So you have the same problem as the OP? You've just bought the phone, charged it for the first time and you have a hardware failure?

tchuppskilla 2010-03-26 19:17

well, mine actually stop working out of the blue. I went to sleep and left it charging and when i woke up it had a black screen though anything else worked: it rang, the flash would work if i uncovered the lens and shot a picture...
then i tried to connect with my tv to at least have a screen and the TV also showed a black screen, so i think that the problem is related to the video output of the phone, both to the screen and to the AV out...
right now im still figuring out what im gonna do... might send nokia usa an email asking what to do with it, if i have to send them or what...

KGreb 2010-06-24 15:40

Similar problem on my 5 month old N900. Abruptly no LCD or TV out, but all else seems to work. Reflashed to 100% factory configuration (including eMMC) but no improvement. Time to see how well Nokia handles warranty matters.

bsperoff 2010-06-25 00:37

had same problem... blank screen after 5 months. nokia sent me new device after 7 days great service, but now im still afraid my device will fail again after warranty is up. what then?

kelven1000 2010-11-01 16:16

hi el3ctronick, can u tell me how u solve the problem, my n900 got the same problem now, i send it to nokia centre, the workers tell me their dunno how to solve this problem. Can u help me?

PathFinder@9GS 2010-11-01 16:27

Did anyone who's having this problem of blank screen tried what gabby above stated??? I don't have this problem but in case this solution works.. then there won't be any need of involving (nokia) as we all kno how well it goes :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabby131 (Post 542823)
aww men! is this another case of "Nokia Screen of Death?"

no such problems, try to remove mmc and reboot, remove battery, install, and reboot.

konvctd 2010-11-04 00:33

bumping an old thread...

this just happend to me.. phone was working fine.. closed the screen.. hour later went to look at a message and.... black screen!!! same as OP as everything else seems to work.. notification lights camera ect ect...

as for gabby's post.. what is MMC?? is that the sim?? thanks :)

kelven1000 2010-11-04 00:37

MMC=Memory Card

richwhite 2010-11-04 00:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by konvctd (Post 862765)
bumping an old thread...

this just happend to me.. phone was working fine.. closed the screen.. hour later went to look at a message and.... black screen!!! same as OP as everything else seems to work.. notification lights camera ect ect...

as for gabby's post.. what is MMC?? is that the sim?? thanks :)

MMC is the memory card i think. Basically, turn the phone off, remove memory card and reboot, although personally i'd turn off, remove battery, remove memory card, reinstall battery and turn on. If it's all ok, reinstall the memory card.

konvctd 2010-11-04 00:45

doesn't it have inbuilt memory though?

i dont have a micro sd card in the phone

kelven1000 2010-11-04 00:47

hi richwhite, i got the same problem here, do u know how to solve this problem? I already try to remove battery and reinstall battery, but its still blank screen T.T

richwhite 2010-11-04 00:52

@konvctd, yes it does have inbuilt memory, if you don't have an sd card (are you sure?) then just remove the battery, hold down the power button for 30 seconds and try turning it on.

@Kelven1000, nope, sorry, i've never had it, i was just clarifying the MMC issue

konvctd 2010-11-04 01:00

ill check when i get home.. as its not with me at work.. its kinda useless at the moment! haha :p

if i have an sd card there ill take it out and the battery.. then put it back together minus the sd card and try turning it on..

how would an sd card stop it from displaying an image though?

jigsaw.1.p 2011-10-07 22:41

hey electr* i just had an exactly similar problem with my 13 month 900...don't know what 2 do...did everything from flashing to tv-out and all,but nothing seems to work,,,:confused::confused:

could u tell how your problem got solved??..
thnx

Masoi 2011-10-08 00:07

try to replace your sim card

CraigRobbo 2011-12-20 01:03

Digging up an old thread again - Did anyone get any feedback from nokia as mines just done this all of a sudden!

Craig

Mike Fila 2011-12-20 02:30

what exactly is it doing give some background did you just get it, install anything new recently, does tv out work, have u dropped it

could be a bad cable ....software problems ....bad screen ...hardware

CraigRobbo 2011-12-20 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Fila (Post 1139751)
what exactly is it doing give some background did you just get it, install anything new recently, does tv out work, have u dropped it

could be a bad cable ....software problems ....bad screen ...hardware

Well basically the phone was working fine, no issues then i got a text went to check it and the screen didnt work.
Tv out doesnt work
Not dropped
The phone still intereacts though IE i can still make genstures for it to vibrate and it still rings etc...

Mike Fila 2011-12-21 18:55

Do you have any sign of life in the screen what I mean is it back lit? Well you have a couple of choices. Usually when the screen craps out tv out still works ...so you could try to reflash or you could disassemble the slider to see if the cable is intact, but idk if that would cause the tv out to stop functioning. The other thing would be if you have ssh installed to go in and wipe the text messages.

drizzy 2012-04-26 14:43

Re: N900- blank screen

[QUOTE=el3ctronick;487699] I switched the phone on. But nothing came up on the screen. I heard the 'nokia' tune play and the keyboard lit up, but that was all. Just a blank screen.

I have the same problem, i switched on my n900 i didn't feel the vibration when i press the power button. the white light came on and then the yellow light blink three times then the keyboard lit up. There was no light or image on the screen the phone was just blank.

dumpystig 2012-04-26 14:55

Sounds like it may be a ribbon connector that's not fully inserted. Only way to check is by dismantling your phone.

dumpystig 2012-04-26 14:58

Service Manuals here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56986

I've dismantled a couple of N900's and it's a relatively easy task.

drizzy 2012-04-26 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumpystig (Post 1197886)
Sounds like it may be a ribbon connector that's not fully inserted. Only way to check is by dismantling your phone.

I tried dismantling the phone disconnected the ribbon from the board and reconnecting but i never went any further in the phone.

drizzy 2012-04-26 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumpystig (Post 1197889)
Service Manuals here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56986

I've dismantled a couple of N900's and it's a relatively easy task.

thanks dude it worked i disassembled the phone and clean the connectors and is working

alexlga 2012-09-14 12:41

Hey, Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

alexlga 2012-09-23 10:12

I tried a new screen, and nothing changed.

xansoft 2012-10-03 15:33

Hi, I have the same identical problem: I hear the nokia startup tone, if someone call me the phone ring just one time and close the call , and the screen is ever black. So I have brought the phone to a nokia laboratory to fix it, and the answer was:
"we have found water in your device, hence your phone is not more under warranty"....(this is impossible, i have never left my n900 near any water....)
So the guy to prove it, he gave me this photo:

http://www.alexdiclaudio.eu/n900.jpg

I don't know how is possible, but I don't believe that the water magically appears into the center of my phone, leaving perfectly cleaned all sides...

Is there anyone that know if they are trying to trick me?

Thank for the help guys