maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   The in-development Maemo 5 Community SSU (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=67905)

stenny 2011-01-04 13:51

The in-development Maemo 5 Community SSU
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaffa (Post 909944)
We even have a mechanism to deliver the new version, in the form of the Community SSU, which should be released shortly.

Where the hell is this documented?

Edit, a month later: Here, apparently.

Support this plan if you'd like to see this development done in public, as opposed to some arcane IRC channel at random times.

Jaffa 2011-01-04 15:48

Re: Ask the Council!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stenny (Post 911461)
Where the hell is this documented?

Given the Community SSU hasn't been launched yet, nowhere except a few news articles (personally, I suggest <plug>MWKN</plug>).

I assure you, when it's ready, it'll be announced to the world.

stenny 2011-01-05 04:34

Re: Ask the Council!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaffa (Post 911525)
I assure you, when it's ready, it'll be announced to the world.

Sweet. A "community" ssu that will get "announced" instead of developed by the community. I assume MohammedAG's work will be included, but what else is there that warrants an SSU? Maybe we can get an update that removes all the links to defunct Ovi services?

Jaffa 2011-01-05 08:57

Re: Ask the Council!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stenny (Post 911929)
Sweet. A "community" ssu that will get "announced" instead of developed by the community. I assume MohammedAG's work will be included, but what else is there that warrants an SSU?

I'm confused by your antagonism, which seems to be driven from a lack of information. (Although you seem to be arguing that the SSU is necessary, but also unnecessary within two sentences).

Firstly, it is being developed by the community; specifically MohammadAG and a few others. It's being openly discussed on IRC, and has been mentioned and discussed both in TMO and MWKN.

What is included, at the moment, is (OTTOMH):
  • Updated hildon-desktop, hildon-home
  • Modest updated to the trunk, and community patches which have been languishing on Bugzilla integrated
  • PulseAudio fixes

However, most importantly, it provides a mechanism to deliver enhancements to the numerous open source components by the community, including Nokia engineers who are no longer working on them as part of their day job.

This mechanism is more important than the first tranche of fixes.

Quote:

Maybe we can get an update that removes all the links to defunct Ovi services?
I don't know what services you're talking about; but create such a package and either users can install it via Extras or it can be installed via the SSU. However, the scope of an SSU is to update the OS components - updating HAM or hildon-desktop via Extras is problematic.

So, for example, the CSSU shouldn't contain fMMS, despite it being massively useful & popular, because it can be trivially installed from Extras.

lcuk 2011-01-05 09:11

Re: Ask the Council!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stenny (Post 911929)
Sweet. A "community" ssu that will get "announced" instead of developed by the community. I assume MohammedAG's work will be included, but what else is there that warrants an SSU? Maybe we can get an update that removes all the links to defunct Ovi services?

stenny,

do you happen to know *specifically* which web links are working/not working and where they are stored (package as well as file location)
so that this information could be put nto the SSU?

Matan 2011-01-05 09:49

Re: Ask the Council!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaffa (Post 912023)
I'm confused by your antagonism, which seems to be driven from a lack of information. (Although you seem to be arguing that the SSU is necessary, but also unnecessary within two sentences).

Firstly, it is being developed by the community; specifically MohammadAG and a few others. It's being openly discussed on IRC, and has been mentioned and discussed both in TMO and MWKN.

IRC is hardly an open discussion. Is there at least a public log of the channel somewhere?

benny1967 2011-01-05 10:14

Re: Ask the Council!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matan (Post 912046)
IRC is hardly an open discussion. Is there at least a public log of the channel somewhere?

only because you don't visit a restaurant doesn't mean it isn't open to the public.

logs are here:
https://wiki.maemo.org/IRC#Logs

Matan 2011-01-05 10:23

Re: Ask the Council!
 
If a restaurant is open for one hour every week, but they don't say which hour, it is hardly public.

Can you point to another distribution where the main discussion and decision making is on IRC?

And of all those channels, where is "community SSU" discussed?

Can you point me to the discussion that resulted in hildon-desktop changes included in SSU? Was inclusion of kernel-power discussed?

Jaffa 2011-01-05 11:54

Re: Ask the Council!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matan (Post 912060)
Can you point me to the discussion that resulted in hildon-desktop changes included in SSU? Was inclusion of kernel-power discussed?

As I said above, at the moment the mechanism of having an SSU managed by the community is more important than the first testing release's content. As I also said, the processes around the SSU are still being formed, and will be discussed when the idea is proven to actually work.

Mohammad integrated patches and created a repo. It's been discussed in the hildon-desktop patch thread, the Modest patch thread, on maemo-developers with regards to getting HAM to recognise the repository as authorised and on maemo-community for some initial very-high level testing and feedback.

The conduit I set up to publicise potential avenues for exploration has covered it (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6); so I'm not going to get drawn into another debate about the visibility of pieces of information to individuals who may have missed it.

Nor do I think a debate on the support the Council is giving to an individual (and now small team)'s efforts is appropriate or useful. If you have your own effort that you'd like the Council to support, please get in touch.

lardman 2011-01-05 12:20

Re: Ask the Council!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaffa (Post 912023)
What is included, at the moment, is (OTTOMH):
  • Updated hildon-desktop, hildon-home
  • Modest updated to the trunk, and community patches which have been languishing on Bugzilla integrated
  • PulseAudio fixes

Is a patched kernel going to be included to fix the CPU speed bug when charging?


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:56.

vBulletin® Version 3.8.8