maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Nokia N9 -WITH- Android 4.0 (ICS) ! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82264)

qorax 2012-02-11 18:59

Nokia N9 -WITH- Android 4.0 (ICS) !

Nokia N9 running Android 4.0
(Ice Cream Sandwitch on N9!)

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9...androidics.jpg

The Verge covered this story a few days back HERE of our beloved N9 running the Ice Cream Sandwitch version of Android. It comes from a reliable source - the tweets of @Drunkdebugger - who had previously put android on Nokia Maemo devices.

A dual boot is apparently in the works, this will allow us to [perhaps] have the beauty of Swipe and the volumnous Apps of Android. Though many of us would aggree to someone's comment there, "Cool. But it really would be a downgrade".

Bitter-Sweet Anniversary:
Did u guys notice that today is Feb-11, 2012, excatly one-year on since Feb-11, 2011 -- one of the most significant dates in the Nokia Calendar [while one of the most catastrophic dates for us] as it switches over to an entirely new platform, Windows Phone?

And now they r shutting down their original factories as well...

Qorax

Sniper_swe 2012-02-11 19:53

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80943

ZogG 2012-02-11 20:30

Re: Nokia N9 -WITH- Android 4.0 (ICS) !

http://talk.maemo.org/search.php - bookmark it, or even make it your home page

marnuc 2012-02-12 05:21

this is the thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0DjY...ature=youtu.be

vivmak 2012-02-12 06:15

Why bother? MeeGo is good enough, actually far better.

qorax 2012-02-12 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivmak (Post 1163788)

No doubt about that!

Mada22009 2012-02-13 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivmak (Post 1163788)

For a Little something called Apps that N9 doesn't have much of "sadly"

jalyst 2012-02-13 12:04

Iced Robtot, lot longer to go though than this ICS port...
But the minute it's ready for end-user testing, we should be getting behind it "hard".
And helping in any way we can (if possible) in the interim.
Of course the ICS port is fine too....
Just sad that it may be draining what little community resources there for IR.

Kangal 2012-02-13 13:58

The funniest part of this is that the N9 is comparable hardware to the Samsung Galaxy S, a device that was sold 16 months prior.

SGS vs N9 (bold means superior)
4.0" vs 3.9"
800x480 vs 854x400
PenTile vs PenTile
SuperAMOLED vs AMOLED-ClearBlack (quite similar)
1GHz A8 vs 1GHz A8
512mb vs 1GB RAM
SGX540 vs SGX530
16GB vs 16GB/64GB
removable storage vs no option
1,500mAh vs 1,450mAh
removable battery vs fixed
radios vs radios (all equivalent)
No option vs NFC
FM radio vs FM radio + transmitter
Single vs Dual-[noise cancelling]-mic
Good 5MP camera vs Great 8MP camera
size vs size
118g vs 135g
Many Quality Apps vs Few Useless Ones*
Large Ongoing Development Community vs Huge potential but little development
No LED vs Dual-LED
...unless EPIC 4G which it has a strong single led-flash and a decent qwerty keypad

SGS points: 8
N9 points: 9
The winner: Close tie, depends on which aspects are more important to you. SGS offers much more flexibility, is more readily available and cheaper whereas the N9 has a few extra quality parts.

...imagine if Harmattan can get ported to it, cheap and better N9's for everyone. But I'd much rather have Mer+KDE on the SG NOTE!!

jalyst 2012-02-13 14:36

You sure they use exactly the same die-shrunk base SoC?
I'd imagine they'd be on a different process...

*I'd say the N9's AMOLED-CBD has a slight edge IQ-wise overall.
Mainly due to it's higher DPI (so long as you have a decent panel) but not solely.
*SGX535 for N9?
*Not sure the radios are equivalent all round.
*FMTX isn't yet certain for N9, still a chance.
"Few Useless Ones" "...and better N9's for everyone"
LOL troll much....

Few other points are debatable there, & really quite subjective.
But it's not really something I'm interested in chatting about further.
Maybe someone else will notice, good thought bubble though.

jalyst 2012-02-13 15:00

Oh another cool thing....
Which I'm sure the community would be interested in just as mush as an ICS port to N9.
Is the porting of Maemo 6x to OMAP4 class hardware...
One example I can recall OTTOMH is the Galaxy Nexus.
This if course would have a whole lot more challenges than porting Maemo 6x to SGS.
But it's a worthier aspiration IMO, if not an impossible one :)

Kangal 2012-02-14 09:24

Firstly I'll correct your previous comments:
-N9 has the SGX530, same as the N900, not the faster SGX535 found in the iPhone 3GS
-N9 has FM Radio receiver and transmitter. MeeGo just doesn't support the transmitter yet (unless it has been solved)
-No the screens are very identical, the only reason it looks better to you is because the N9 has a higher ppi since the screen is slightly smaller and has a few extra pixels
-You call it trolling, I call it being blunt. Android has a lot of Apps and there are plenty which are usefull/must have (otherwise why would anyone waste time with NiTdroid!?!?)

I agree porting Maemo 5/6 would be easier for Cortex A8 devices, but A9 would be a worthier aspiration. The best combination would be the Galaxy NOTE (best phone in terms of specs) and Mer (with KDE) ported...it would really squeeze out the potential which Gingerbread/ICS neglects. :)

ibrakalifa 2012-02-14 10:02

N9 has the same spec with LG optimus black, :D

and the price is overrated(N9)

Soppa 2012-02-14 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kangal (Post 1164817)
N9 has FM Radio receiver and transmitter. MeeGo just doesn't support the transmitter yet (unless it has been solved

I don't know how you can solve the absence of an antenna with software. Unless it can be done in the same way as the FM receiver (using the headphones), I wouldn't have my hopes very high up.

patlak 2012-02-14 11:08

@kangal

What the hell is your problem with this comparisons? You like it, buy it. You don't like it, don't buy it. It's a simple choice, stop being a PITA.

patlak 2012-02-14 11:11

Quote:

-N9 has the SGX530, same as the N900, not the faster SGX535 found in the iPhone 3GS

SGX535 has better fillrate and is DirectX compliant. That's the only difference with the 530, geometry is the same. 535 is better suited for iPad resolutions hence the reason for its use in the iPad.

patlak 2012-02-14 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibrakalifa (Post 1164826)

You are overrated! You never learn do you?

patlak 2012-02-14 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soppa (Post 1164835)
I don't know how you can solve the absence of an antenna with software. Unless it can be done in the same way as the FM receiver (using the headphones), I wouldn't have my hopes very high up.

N9 has the FM transmitting hardware, MeeGo doesn't have it implemented which makes the FMTX invisible to the OS.

jalyst 2012-02-14 11:27

Quote:

Pretty sure you're wrong, I'll check later if got a minute.

Quote:

-N9 has FM Radio receiver and transmitter. MeeGo just doesn't support the transmitter yet (unless it has been solved)
Yes I know. javispedro wasn't completely sure, he needs a N9 to be 100% certain.
He ruled-out N950 unequivocally, it def. doesn't have the right support.
Start from here and read down....
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?p=39426#post39426

Quote:

-No the screens are very identical, the only reason it looks better to you is because the N9 has a higher ppi since the screen is slightly smaller and has a few extra pixels
Nope def. a bit more to it than that, as has been discussed before.
Which is why I said CBF'd going into too much detail...

Quote:

-You call it trolling, I call it being blunt. Android has a lot of Apps and there are plenty which are usefull/must have (otherwise why would anyone waste time with NiTdroid!?!?)
Well, it could easily be seen as that.
Have a re-read of how you actually structured the post.

Quote:

The best combination would be the Galaxy NOTE (best phone in terms of specs) and Mer (with KDE) ported...it would really squeeze out the potential which Gingerbread/ICS neglects. :)
Maybe.

Soppa 2012-02-14 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by patlak (Post 1164839)
N9 has the FM transmitting hardware, MeeGo doesn't have it implemented which makes the FMTX invisible to the OS.

I know that the chip is RX/TX chip, but there's no transmitting antenna built in, whereas N900 had one.

ibrakalifa 2012-02-14 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by patlak (Post 1164838)
You are overrated! You never learn do you?

and your comment also overrated, :)

i just try to be more REALISTIC, :D

Vaterix 2012-02-14 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1164845)
Pretty sure you're wrong, I'll check later if got a minute.

it's definitely SGX530.

thedead1440 2012-02-14 12:09

^ true and confirmed by Gsmarena: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n9-3398.php

patlak 2012-02-14 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst
Pretty sure you're wrong, I'll check later if got a minute

OMAP 3630 has a SGX530.

patlak 2012-02-14 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibrakalifa (Post 1164851)
and your comment also overrated, :)

i just try to be more REALISTIC, :D

It's pathetic what your being, not realistic. As I told you once, System on Chip is not the only part raising cost.Cement this fact inside your trolling brain.

ibrakalifa 2012-02-14 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by patlak (Post 1164861)
It's pathetic what your being, not realistic. As I told you once, System on Chip is not the only part raising cost.Cement this fact inside your trolling brain.

ooooh cool, show me the sources, BS, u just too much says dude, LOL

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=4037

and LG didnt lost that much money to produce it?, nokia doing some riset before they launch it, but why with old chipset then, dont get blinded by nokia name, i talk about the hardware, :rolleyes:

Kangal 2012-02-14 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by patlak (Post 1164836)
@kangal

What the hell is your problem with this comparisons? You like it, buy it. You don't like it, don't buy it. It's a simple choice, stop being a PITA.

Lol@troll.

What's your beef? I was just doing a side by side comparison. This is the internet, if you don't want to read it then just ignore it.

Besides comparisons like these are informative. I think the pain you feel is your pride wedged in your anus, pita.

jalyst 2012-02-14 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by patlak (Post 1164860)
OMAP 3630 has a SGX530.

Yes I know, but I'm sure there was a derivative 3630 w/used 535.
It's doco'd as 530 in many places, but I recall that being wrong.
There's a definitive source somewhere. Will find later....
Chill with the tension guys...... ;)

patlak 2012-02-14 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kangal (Post 1164865)
Lol@troll.

What's your beef? I was just doing a side by side comparison. This is the internet, if you don't want to read it then just ignore it.

Besides comparisons like these are informative. I think the pain you feel is your pride wedged in your anus, pita.

Answer this: Does this thread call for a comparison? And is that on topic with this thread.

patlak 2012-02-14 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst (Post 1164867)
Yes I know, but I'm sure there was a derivative 3630 w/used 535.
It's doco'd as 530 in many places, but I recall that being wrong.
There's a definitive source somewhere. Will find later....
Chill with the tension guys...... ;)

SGX530 has been the only GPU used inside the OMAP 3. Maybe some inhouse testing prototype.

patlak 2012-02-14 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibrakalifa (Post 1164864)
ooooh cool, show me the sources, BS, u just too much says dude, LOL

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=4037

and LG didnt lost that much money to produce it?, nokia doing some riset before they launch it, but why with old chipset then, dont get blinded by nokia name, i talk about the hardware, :rolleyes:

Yes, hardware. Open up your brain, and learn that Nokia spent billions in MeeGo R&D, N9 design R&D, camera technology R&D, etc. Also, better screen technology, BT 4.0, better camera module, NFC, etc, are all hardware and increase cost. MeeGo has been in development for a long time and OMAP 3 was the base, i.e. getting all the code right on that SoC.

BTW, what is your issue with OMAP 3? It's not like MeeGo is as demanding and crappily programmed as Android. Is it smooth? Is it innovative? Is it unique? The answer to all the above is YES, so either STFU or GTFO.

Only N9 drawback is a dirtbag that is refered to by the name of Elop.

qorax 2012-02-14 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibrakalifa (Post 1164826)

U pay a premium for design, looks & built too...
LG Optimus to Nokia N9 >>> nahhhhhh

don_falcone 2012-02-14 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by qorax (Post 1164903)
U pay a premium for design, looks & built too...
LG Optimus to Nokia N9 >>> nahhhhhh

I second that. Look at all those fruit devices, "form over function" -> has a premium.

Btw: Good luck with the cheapskate build"quality" of either LG or Sumsang, err, Samsung.

patlak 2012-02-14 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by don_falcone (Post 1164914)
I second that. Look at all those fruit devices, "form over function" -> has a premium.

Btw: Good luck with the cheapskate build"quality" of either LG or Sumsang, err, Samsung.

N9 with a dual core on the spec sheet (even if an OMAP 3) and Nokia's support would be the Second Coming.

ibrakalifa 2012-02-14 14:43

u dont need to say STFU, this is community, not the place to make an enemy of each other, btw i accept ur reason, doesnt it sound better now? get a life dude, be relax, or maybe u a nokia owner? LOL

ibrakalifa 2012-02-14 14:46

and as far as i know, now samsung developing tizen, i dont care about brand name, i just want maemo

and dont blame urself if someday you attracted by sumsang, errrg samsung, they have latest chipset on their product, cheers

mscion 2012-02-14 15:04

I dunno... while ICS is an improvement over gingerbread, putting ICS on the N9 is like putting cigarette ashes in holy water. Putting maemo on Galaxy Note is another story!

qorax 2012-02-14 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by patlak (Post 1164880)
...The answer to all the above is YES, so either STFU or GTFO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibrakalifa (Post 1164930)
u dont need to say STFU, this is community, not the place to make an enemy of each other, btw i accept ur reason, doesnt it sound better now? get a life dude, be relax, or maybe u a nokia owner? LOL

Yes, agreed.
Such words from patlak were uncalled for... we may rip each other off argumentatively, but to go beyond our tethers - is definitely in bad taste. We should maintain decency in whatever we do, wherever, www or otherwise.

Qorax

aRTee 2012-02-14 15:49

Big advantage that N9 hardware has compared to most Android phones: 1GB RAM.
If linux likes anything, it's having more RAM. And by likes, I mean, can use properly and have the user feel the difference.

What the N9 doesn't have, compared to recent top phones, is a recent super-GHz dual core CPU.
With the current OS it doesn't seem to need it, but with android it will fall short of phones like SGS2 and such.

It's certainly cool just for the heck of it, but I wouldn't want an N9 with android. I would want an N9/Harmattan device with all Android apps, but if that comes at a performance penalty, then I'd rather not.

BTW on apps, apart from vncviewer (presencevnc doesn't work for me atm), there's nothing I miss on the N9 that I have on my android phone.
And every time I take my android phone to hand, I miss Harmattan...

BTW my now favourite app on N9: marble touch. It will come to android, but for now it's not there, and it's gorgeous even in it's present (very young) incarnation (well, inbinarification, really, and if that isn't a word it is now and I coined it).

Lastly, on hardware comparisons: half the info is missing to make a good comparison, what is know on the RAM interface speed? What is known on the flash speed? Very important when opening apps. How long is battery lifetime when doing certain tasks?
For sure my android phone's battery lasts longer with the N9 close by, but that's not really what I meant... :D

patlak 2012-02-14 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibrakalifa (Post 1164930)

My apologies. It's just that your persistent ignorance annoys me. I, and many others, have given you reasons why it costs as much and why OMAP 3 is more than sufficient and yet, you are going with your head through the wall, just like trisha02. Optimus Black has a 3630, but it's crap in every other department compared to N9.