maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [SFOS] WhoGo Maps (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100253)

taixzo 2018-03-22 01:12

Re: WhoGo Maps

Looking forward to the release with argument passing! If you want to let us know what the arguments will be, I can get a head start coding that into Saera to release when the update arrives.

klinglerware 2018-03-30 18:26

Congrats on this release, it feels full-featured and polished.

Tested it on a OnePlus X with the 2.1.3.7 update and no connectivity. Off-line routing and real-time rerouting using OSM scout server worked very well. I am very impressed!

Voice directions with mimic also worked well. One small bug: with an English voice and American measurement units, measurements in "feet" were voiced as "miles".

smatkovi 2018-03-30 19:16

i also tested it on a opx with sfos 2.1.3.7 now and offline navigation worked fine. one road direction was different, but that is a backend issue.

smatkovi 2018-03-30 20:01

when using voice navigation while playing music it pauses playback, but didn't resume after the directions. do you also experience this and is there something that could be done to resume playback automatically?

taixzo 2018-03-31 02:17

Feedback on voice navigation: decent, but could use some work. Points noted on a test drive:
- as mentioned by klingerware, approaching an intersection I was given an instruction to "turn left in 1000 miles"
- one instruction was "in 2.5 miles, turn right." No other voice prompt was given when I actually reached the intersection.
- My destination was on a road parallel to the main road. As I drove past, it skipped the final turns and jumped straight to "you have arrived at your destination."

Additionally, I note that you are using maneuver nodes to determine when a turn is reached. I originally used this in Saera, however by itself it can lead to missed instructions if the gps cuts out as you pass a node. I switched to nodes + checking which segment is the closest, so that new directions can be given as soon as possible when you make a turn.

pichlo 2018-03-31 07:32

Pity I cannot try WhoGo since, as per post #3, it does not work on my device. As a general comment, I have used a commercial satnav that gave instructions of the kind, "make <manoeuvre> in <distance>", and I found it infinitely confusing. Fortunately a software upgrade turned it into a more common, " in <distance> make <manoeuvre>", which was much better.

rinigus 2018-03-31 07:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1542853)
Pity I cannot try WhoGo since, as per post #3, it does not work on my device. As a general comment, I have used a commercial satnav that gave instructions of the kind, "make <manoeuvre> in <distance>", and I found it infinitely confusing. Fortunately a software upgrade turned it into a more common, " in <distance> make <manoeuvre>", which was much better.

Its pity, indeed. Maybe its time to switch devices? We should have "In <distance>, <maneuver description>" in WhoGo and Poor Maps.

otsaloma 2018-03-31 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by taixzo (Post 1542851)
- as mentioned by klingerware, approaching an intersection I was given an instruction to "turn left in 1000 miles"

I filed an issue now. I took a quick look earlier, but didn't find where the problem originates from.

Quote:

- My destination was on a road parallel to the main road. As I drove past, it skipped the final turns and jumped straight to "you have arrived at your destination."

That's a known issue and hard to avoid.

Quote:

Additionally, I note that you are using maneuver nodes to determine when a turn is reached. I originally used this in Saera, however by itself it can lead to missed instructions if the gps cuts out as you pass a node. I switched to nodes + checking which segment is the closest, so that new directions can be given as soon as possible when you make a turn.

Yes and no. The instructions are associated with maneuver points, but the system mainly works by comparing the GPS position with the route polyline segments, finding the closest segment and then the next maneuver node following that segment. Additionally, there are some tweaks to account for positioning inaccuracy etc.

Fuzzillogic 2018-03-31 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by rinigus (Post 1542854)
Its pity, indeed. Maybe its time to switch devices?

I'm confused. I've WhoGo running on my JP1 just fine, using OSM Scout Server with profile "Recommended for vector tile maps". Navigation has the nice tilt option (why only when navigating?) Very smooth. It all works fully offline too. So, what am I missing here?

rinigus 2018-03-31 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic (Post 1542869)
I'm confused. I've WhoGo running on my JP1 just fine, using OSM Scout Server with profile "Recommended for vector tile maps". Navigation has the nice tilt option (why only when navigating?) Very smooth. It all works fully offline too. So, what am I missing here?

When we were testing Mapbox GL widget in summer 2017, it was a general conclusion that J1 is not able to handle OpenGL map component (crashes of test program, hanging of it and so on). Some time has passed, Mapbox GL and SFOS releases are out. Maybe something got fixed, it's hard to tell.

At that time, we also tested against Mapbox styles. So, maybe you could check whether you have any issues when using their basemaps.

If it all works, it's a great news. I think someone has been telling about positive results on J1 (maybe you). Good luck with testing !