maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Community (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Council] Council_Update-July_2011 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74790)

debernardis 2011-07-10 06:58

Re: [Council] Council_Update-July_2011

I second the idea of having talk.maemo.org as a subforum of internettablettalk.com.

Since marketing is leaving maemo (oh how refreshing being able to write it without capital initial; branding nazis have flocked away plaguing other forums) - well since that, I think that we could well focus back on tablets, that is the reason several of the die-hards came here at first.

Reggie? What do you think? You're the owner of the domain and your opinion is very important.

lma 2011-07-10 07:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterc (Post 1047912)
it is possible to put the source for all the "Community" applications on a different server, independent from NOKIA, should NOKIA decide to stop supporting TMO

Hosting the repository (source & binary packages) is trivial. The autobuilder, not so much.

Quote:

how about the firmwares (PR 1.3 aso.)?
Definitely not, that would be copyright infringement. I would recommend keeping your own local copies of any firmware images you may need.

Quote:

dito for the OVI programs for the N900 / Maemo;
That's up to the individual package authors.

lma 2011-07-10 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by CommunityCouncil (Post 1047862)
OThere are approximately 1 million downloads per week.

Could we have some more detailed stats (reakdown across release repositories as well as extras/extras-devel, trends etc)?

SD69 2011-07-10 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by lma (Post 1048124)
Could we have some more detailed stats (reakdown across release repositories as well as extras/extras-devel, trends etc)?

Yes, with time. The group maintaining the repositories, Nemein, is currently quite busy rolling out the community OBS and app store for MeeGo.

Thanks for the comments. All options can be considered by the community, including continuing with maemo.org when formal Nokia support ends after at least one year. Nokia abandoning the maemo trademark and governance over maemo.org can be viewed as an opportunity. Self-funding can be considered for the community - over 1000 euros was provided solely by the community for the Coding Competition. We can try to port maemo to the extent possible. We've already started a post-N900 strategy with the Cordia project, which aims to get as much of open-source maemo on top of MeeGo core.

klinglerware 2011-07-10 15:43

I also support a return to ITT, if/when Nokia cuts the cord on maemo.org.

I am sure it has already been discussed via the council and elsewhere, but I am guessing that replicating the scale of what maemo.org is today may or may not be feasible, especially considering the smaller scale of what ITT once was. Has anybody come up with an estimate of how much an un-subsidized community might cost per year?

Estel 2011-07-10 16:21

I'm absolutely sure, that maemo.org can exist as self-funded organization. Just look what guys @ LibreOffice achieved - Oracle hostility towards Open Source become - in fact - start of "jailbreak" for OpenOffice - now LibreOffice, free of non-meritocratic decisions, at last.

In my opinion, Maemo currently differs from other "internet tablets" systems so much, that it just don't fit as subforum at any tablet site, no matter of historical reasons.

I see developing Cordia as best possible solution for us - using Maemo UI on top of Meego core, for both N900 and any Meego or Harmattan devices.

jalyst 2011-07-10 16:41

Personally I think Internettalktablet's a horrid name. Why not just stay with Maemo?
It's more generic, not locked into one particular form-factor, & we avoid more confusion with yet more re-branding.

The folks that were really into the precursors N770, N800 etc*...
I can understand why they want ITT, but I think Maemo's more inclusive, more "huggable" :D

In the end though I don't particularly care, whatever the majority wants etc.
*I popped in a few times, but never really got into it heavily before the N900

Jaffa 2011-07-10 20:42

All the talk about moving from TMO back to ITT misses the point about the rest of the infrastructure which is far more important to Maemo users and also seems to be operating on the assumption that users of other platforms would go to ITT to discuss their issues. There don't seem to be crowds of iOS, Android and MeeGo/Harmattan users beating down the doors at the moment...

danramos 2011-07-10 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaffa (Post 1048464)
All the talk about moving from TMO back to ITT misses the point about the rest of the infrastructure which is far more important to Maemo users and also seems to be operating on the assumption that users of other platforms would go to ITT to discuss their issues. There don't seem to be crowds of iOS, Android and MeeGo/Harmattan users beating down the doors at the moment...

I think you also missed the point--perhaps there SHOULD be crowds of said users beating down the doors. At the moment, it doesn't suit such an audience, where as broadening the scope of the site would at least invite such activity, as opposed to "maemo" only.

geneven 2011-07-11 00:13

There is a GIANT Android thread; maybe Jaffa didn't notice. And, ever hear of Nitdroid? Ever notice typing appearing in the Competitors thread?

And I completely don't understand the statement by one of my most respected users here that Maemo is more 'generc' than InternetTabletTalk. Maemo is virtually DEAD, sorry to say.

The world is wide open for a revival of ITT. A site that is loyal to NO ONE but quality. The INDEPENDENT tablet site, where we had tablets before Apple did.

We have a unique chance to become a big power in the future of Internet Tablets. Or we can stay chained to Nokia and a fading Maemo.