maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Alternatives (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Cordia : Maemo5 UI on top MeeGo Core (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56822)

smoku 2010-06-22 12:15

Cordia : Maemo5 UI on top MeeGo Core

Following my Anemo idea and Carsten's suggestion on porting Hildon to MeeGo I started working on my own MeeGo image.

The goal is to build MeeGo core based Fremantle clone. Possibly with relevant parts of Harmattan once it is released. Anyone interested is welcome to join.

I have some hardware resources I could chip in and some spare development time. I will work on this even if I have to work alone, but some help and/or experience would be appreciated.

UPDATE: See http://codex.xiaoka.com/wiki/cordia:start for details and status.

Stskeeps 2010-06-22 13:31

Re: Fremantle on community led MeeGo fork

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoku (Post 724840)
This led me to the conclusion, that we might want to have our community led mirror/fork of the official "open-source for ivory towers" MeeGo releases, that has:
- own public available repositories with stable content, that does not get moved/deleted unexpectedly

- own OBS available to community (like maemo.org cauldron-builder)

which may be used to build community led codelines.

Ie. I'm wanting to build MeeGo core based Fremantle clone. Anyone interested is welcome to join.
I can think of people wanting LXDE build on such community MeeGo core, of Harmattan ported to MeeGo once it is released.

Two comments, because I think there might be a duplication of efforts:

Paths were moved around to make way to permanent solution for having repositories in the right place from 1.0 and onward. Codedrop was never meant to be permanent. The two directory patterns were incompatible and the first one didn't scale. A choice had to be made and that's the scalable version now seen on repo.meego.com.

Why build your own OBS when work and servers are underway for exactly these types of things in the combined MeeGo and maemo.org community OBS?

Besides that - if you want to make an alternative Hildon or LXDE UX on top of MeeGo Core or spin your own MeeGo deriative, go ahead!

smoku 2010-06-22 16:28

I wanted to safeguard from sudden changes in conception by setting separate repository, which would be more hesitant to removing files.
Setting up non-deleting rsync/wget shouldn't be to much effort.

From what I understood it's not easy to get access to MeeGo OBS.

Stskeeps 2010-06-22 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoku (Post 725087)
I wanted to safeguard from sudden changes in conception by setting separate repository, which would be more hesitant to removing files.
Setting up non-deleting rsync/wget shouldn't be to much effort.

From what I understood it's not easy to get access to MeeGo OBS.

MeeGo OBS (product one) is restricted to people who's in any given MeeGo team that works directly on the product (ie, 'commit bit'). It is comparable to upload right to Debian build farms. Resources are limited hence access is limited. Team 'commit bits' are gained by merit by anyone.

Community OBS is something else, http://wiki.meego.com/Community_Application_Support - where the intent is actually having a open OBS.

Regarding repositories, I recommend taking a look at http://wiki.meego.com/Release_Engineering

and

http://wiki.meego.com/Release_Engineering/Process

and

http://wiki.meego.com/Release_Engine...lease_Timeline

-- that'll give you an idea of what you'd like to mirror for instance.

kingoddball 2010-06-22 21:27

I'll help with what's needed. Good at testing and all.

Question: Is this fork going to be a fully working build with gps, gsm, fm trasmitter and all other N900 functions?
Or just something similar to the Mer project?

johnel 2010-06-22 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingoddball (Post 725532)
I'll help with what's needed. Good at testing and all.

Question: Is this fork going to be a fully working build with gps, gsm, fm trasmitter and all other N900 functions?
Or just something similar to the Mer project?

As long as the closed components can be redistributed (I think that is the case) then we should get a fully functioning device.

@smoku: I'm glad you started this thread I thought I was being paranoid when I was reading the developer's mailing list.

For an open-source project they seem very protective of any information and a very closed-knitted bunch.

I'm skeptical of the "openess" of the project and waiting to see what happens with the next release.

Stskeeps 2010-06-23 07:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnel (Post 725572)
As long as the closed components can be redistributed (I think that is the case) then we should get a fully functioning device.

He can probably set up a .ks that drags in MeeGo Core for ARMv7 + MeeGo for N900 hardware adaptation (open and closed bits) + his own UX.

Publishing images of that is another question but solvable..

smoku 2010-08-10 10:53

Good news is that QEMU is fixed and I finally managed to boot self-built MeeGo image using QEMU. :D

tswindell 2010-08-10 11:01

What about user space apps? Application Manager, Settings and all of that Jazz. I'm willing to help but we need a clear idea of exactly what will be required to know how much effort is going to be involved. There's a lot more closed in maemo than just a few drivers.

smoku 2010-08-10 11:18

For N900 we may adopt Moebian approach and just symlink these binaries from NAND.

But this is a short term solution. These would need to be reimplemented/replaced if we want to move to non-nokia platform.

For now I am focusing of repackaging Gitorious available software for MeeGo and well see where it leads us.

Mer achieved a point of usable system. FreGo should get there too.

smoku 2010-08-10 22:37

Re: FreGo : Fremantle on MeeGo

My .ks file is in http://codex.xiaoka.com/frego/testing/ and the image to toy around is being uploaded.

smoku 2010-08-10 23:34

The image is at the same place.
But do not expect anything more than the MeeGo Core... yet. :)

Stskeeps 2010-08-11 05:19

Since I couldn't catch you on IRC: We're working on bringing you GLES acceleration to QEMU.

We need to first get a kernel fix in (that generates the right kernel-n900-devel), already submitted and then build a kernel module using this (packaging in progress).

That should enable you to run hildon-desktop with GLES within qemu for testing and development.

HellFlyer 2010-08-11 05:44

Haha guys honestly I didnt get most of what you two were talking :D but since it has words MeeGo and N900 its awesome :p

ivgalvez 2010-08-11 06:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoku (Post 724840)
I have some hardware resources I could chip in and some spare development time. I will work on this even if I have to work alone, but some help and/or experience would be appreciated.

Where do you find your spare development time? :D
You should be hired by Nokia to fix all their mess!

EDIT: Smoku I've seen your post about leaving all development on any Nokia devices. It's really sad how we are loosing so many good coders, I hope you change your mind (not for Nokia, but for this awesome community).

Regards.

smoku 2010-08-11 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stskeeps (Post 782521)
Since I couldn't catch you on IRC: We're working on bringing you GLES acceleration to QEMU.

I've seen the patches on MeeGo-dev :)
This is a great news.
Do you know is there any particular Intel chip required? I have some ancient GMA with OpenGL 1.3 support only. :(

smoku 2010-08-11 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivgalvez (Post 782546)
Where do you find your spare development time? :D

I bought a few buckets on ebay. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivgalvez (Post 782546)
I've seen your post about leaving all development on any Nokia devices. It's really sad how we are loosing so many good coders, I hope you change your mind (not for Nokia, but for this awesome community).

I'm not going to support lairs and thieves in any way. Even by supporting their community. Period.

Stskeeps 2010-08-11 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoku (Post 782687)
I've seen the patches on MeeGo-dev :)
This is a great news.
Do you know is there any particular Intel chip required? I have some ancient GMA with OpenGL 1.3 support only. :(

To my knowledge it speaks OpenGL with whatever GL impl there exists. Exact requirements, I don't know.

But I've had it running on my NVIDIA..

smoku 2010-08-11 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stskeeps (Post 782694)
But I've had it running on my NVIDIA..

This is even better news. :D

slavb18 2010-11-14 12:18

http://codex.xiaoka.com/frego/testing/ is 404
where can i download freego image ?

Airtux 2010-11-14 12:40

FreGo? screenshot?

smoku 2010-11-20 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by slavb18 (Post 873061)
http://codex.xiaoka.com/frego/testing/ is 404
where can i download freego image ?

There is not a working frego image yet.
Although you may find images I work on at http://codex.xiaoka.com/pub/meego/

smoku 2010-12-29 19:25

Re: Maego : Maemo5 UI on top MeeGo Core

I finally have some ARM and ia32 hardware I can run MeeGo on, so this project is getting some substance at last.

You can follow at http://codex.xiaoka.com/wiki/maego:start

Scottlfa 2010-12-30 21:24

will be watching this, I like the Hildon UI and the idea of core upgrade with familiar UI is very appealing to me.

smoku 2010-12-31 01:03

Getting closer: https://build.pub.meego.com/package/...Asmoku%3Amaego

Venemo 2010-12-31 01:43

Smoku, count me in the project!
Sent you a PM too about some thoughts I have about it.

Ping me on IRC (same nickname) tomorrow.

smoku 2010-12-31 09:54

We have a mailing list ready. Send mail to maego-dev+subscribe@lists.xiaoka.com

JorgeFX 2011-01-01 12:41

What's the status on this project? By the way, HAPPY NEW YEAR 2011!!:D

Venemo 2011-01-01 12:54

Chill down man. It's the first day of the year...

smoku 2011-01-01 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeFX (Post 908960)
What's the status on this project?

Actively working on.
For more info see the wiki page.

smoku 2011-01-01 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivainio (Post 909029)
What wiki page?

If you can't be bothered to read the whole thread, it's nice to read at least the last page of the thread before asking questions. :p

vivainio 2011-01-01 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoku (Post 909051)
If you can't be bothered to read the whole thread, it's nice to read at least the last page of the thread before asking questions. :p

Ok, question deleted.

It might be helpful to edit the topmost post to have details like the link to the wiki.

smoku 2011-01-01 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivainio (Post 909074)
It might be helpful to edit the topmost post to have details like the link to the wiki.

Sure. Added.

iDont 2011-01-01 16:59

I wish all developers the best of luck. I would love to see a more recent kernel (with all its drivers) on the n900, but I ain't too fond of the Meego Handset UX. I really hope you guys will succeed :)

Nokia 5700 2011-01-01 17:10

Best of luck to all the devs!
This project looks interesting. Especially about Vala. :)

vivainio 2011-01-01 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nokia 5700 (Post 909133)
Best of luck to all the devs!
This project looks interesting. Especially about Vala. :)

Interesting - to me, the Vala bit seems unrelated to the rest of the project (bringing fremantle UI to the meego stack).

gerbick 2011-01-01 19:58

I just wanted to give the developers my kudos and best wishes on this project.

JorgeFX 2011-01-02 01:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoku (Post 909012)
Actively working on.
For more info see the wiki page.

Very nice, but I was reading the wiki, and I was wondering, This project means that we will have the same IU from Maemo on top of MeeGo? Or it means that we could run the same apps from Maemo on MeeGo but the UI will be the one from MeeGo?

Venemo 2011-01-02 01:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeFX (Post 909430)
Very nice, but I was reading the wiki, and I was wondering, This project means that we will have the same IU from Maemo on top of MeeGo? Or it means that we could run the same apps from Maemo on MeeGo but the UI will be the one from MeeGo?

The project's primary mission is that we make Hildon Desktop installable on MeeGo with all the goodies it has on Maemo. (Customizable homescreens, widgets, etc)

JorgeFX 2011-01-02 03:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venemo (Post 909442)
The project's primary mission is that we make Hildon Desktop installable on MeeGo with all the goodies it has on Maemo. (Customizable homescreens, widgets, etc)

Ok, then it would be like having Maemo instead of MeeGo running on the device? because that would be nice, I don't like MeeGo IU. I think MeeGo UI is a step back from the point where Maemo is already,