maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   News (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Nokia N810 - WiMAX Edition (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=18455)

krisse 2008-03-28 21:40

Re: The Nokia N810 - WiMAX Edition

Sorry about that Benson. I was enjoying the list anyway though! :)

As far as the "no physical input" stuff, I honestly think there's room in the world for keyboard and non-keyboard devices. There's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all mobile device just like there's no one-size-fits-all car. As soon as the iPhone hype had died down, which portable computing device became the new must-have darling of the media? The eeepc with its full-size keyboard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachin007 (Post 161697)
We all know how imortant it is to ramp up the processor in the internet tablets.

I don't think it is. Higher processor speeds mean lower battery life, and bigger batteries mean heavier, bulkier devices.

The vast majority of users want the tablets for things like websites, email and Skype, which the current processor can apparently handle pretty well.

Also don't forget that there HAS been a processor upgrade of a kind, OS2008 increased the clock speed from 330mhz to 400mhz.

sachin007 2008-03-28 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisse (Post 161698)
Sorry about that Benson. I was enjoying the list anyway though! :)

As far as the "no physical input" stuff, I honestly think there's room in the world for keyboard and non-keyboard devices. There's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all mobile device just like there's no one-size-fits-all car. As soon as the iPhone hype had died down, which portable computing device became the new must-have darling of the media? The eeepc with its full-size keyboard.

I don't think it is. Higher processor speeds mean lower battery life, and bigger batteries mean heavier, bulkier devices.

The vast majority of users want the tablets for things like websites, email and Skype, which the current processor can apparently handle pretty well.

Also don't forget that there HAS been a processor upgrade of a kind, OS2008 increased the clock speed from 330mhz to 400mhz.

As you know by now i really like the tablet. But seriously when i just open contacts and it says loading contacts.... but the moment i press anything it says contacts not responding do you want to close. same with the rss reader. And both the rss reader and the contacts applications are really normal stuff that are expected to work without maxing out the cpu.
It may have been acceptable either with the 770 or with the n800 two years back .But after two years if you still have to wait for the contacts to load before you use any other app..... i dont think that is development of any sort.
I seriously think the tablets are very low on firepower.
I dont want to play 3d games or use photoshop .... i just want to use contacts and rss feed simultaneously..... is it such a huge task?

GeneralAntilles 2008-03-28 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayayess1190 (Post 161696)
Please Nokia add Centrino Atom processors to the N810 and wimax version!

You again! Go do some research before you spew your gargbage around, please.

Quote:

but seriously. It has almost been two years since there was a hardware upgrade( i mean cpu/ram) and we still dont have any changes!

More like 1 year 3 months. :rolleyes: :p

But, yeah, I, too, am ready for a real generational upgrade (OMAP3! OMAP3! OMAP3! texrat has already as much as confirmed it). :D

Quote:

Well, no, not really. Newer CPUs are more efficient than older ones (particularly OMAP3s versus OMAP2s), so you can upgrade performance without impacting power usage. Look at the upgrade from the 770 to the N800—same battery, same battery life, much, much better performance.

If CPUs only got more powerful at the cost of power usage, then we'd need small nuclear reactors to run modern machines at the power efficiencies of 70s "PCs". :p

igor 2008-03-28 21:56

Quote:

OMAP is no x86

Texrat 2008-03-28 21:58

Quote:

Please we need a proper hardware upgrade

Hee hee hee. :D

sachin007 2008-03-28 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 161717)

But, yeah, I, too, am ready for a real generational upgrade (OMAP3! OMAP3! OMAP3! texrat has already as much as confirmed it. :D).

. :p

Yeah the post in this thread which says listen to krisse ..... which i think hints at the cpu upgrade coming with the omap3 chips.

Does any one know when can we expect the omap 3 chips to be used in the next generation internet tablets? And what speeds and ram can we expect from omap3?

GeneralAntilles 2008-03-28 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachin007 (Post 161721)
Does any one know when can we expect the omap 3 chips to be used in the next generation internet tablets? And what speeds and ram can we expect from omap3?

My personal projections would put it somewhere Q3-Q4 2008, but, as Nokia hasn't said anything on the subject, there's no telling. ;)

Quote:

And what speeds and ram can we expect from omap3?

You can probably look to the Pandora for similar specs. My money is on something in the 600-700MHz range with 256MB RAM (the Pandora is 128MB, but I don't think Nokia would go that low).

igor 2008-03-28 22:04

Quote:

And what speeds and ram can we expect from omap3?

Have a look at this, if you are interested in OMAP3:
http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtb...=4750#omap3430

Texrat 2008-03-28 22:05

Quote:

Yeah the post in this thread which says listen to krisse ..... which i think hints at the cpu upgrade coming with the omap3 chips.

No no no. I meant the other stuff. :p

sachin007 2008-03-28 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 161734)
No no no. I meant the other stuff. :p

So you mean the hardware upgrade is going to come sooner than that?
Well if that is true..... i am a little happier.