maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Sailfish now on 1.0 (Jolla MWC announcement) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92742)

OVK 2014-02-21 09:02

Sailfish now on 1.0 (Jolla MWC announcement)

From Jolla's press release (http://jolla.com/media/documents/MWC...ment_FINAL.pdf ):

Sailfish is now on version 1.0. (whatever that means...)

Jolla should be available soon in India, Hong Kong and Russia.

Sailfish should be available for install to selected Android devices "soon" (first half of 2014). In addition to full Sailfish install there will be an Sailfish style Android launcher for Android devices so that Android users can test Sailfish UI.

Special Angry Birds TOH is coming from Rovio.

Co-operation with F-Secure started for secure cloud based services.

Co-operation with Tieto started to bring Sailfish to companies.

...and a lot more interesting stuff in the press release :D

More press releases:
F-Secure part http://jolla.com/media/documents/MWC...2014_FINAL.pdf

ANGRY BIRDS: http://jolla.com/media/documents/MWC...2014_FINAL.pdf

HtheB 2014-02-21 09:05

Re: Sailfish now on 1.0 (Jolla MWC announcement)

Sailfish 1.0?
That's weird... we're already on 1.0.3.8 :p

OVK 2014-02-21 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1413603)
Sailfish 1.0?
That's weird... we're already on 1.0.3.8 :p

Hopefully they mean "not BETA anymore" :D

willi6868 2014-02-21 09:14

Here is the press release by f-secure:
http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/corpo.../1386216/Jolla and F-Secure Join Forces to Offer younited, the Trusted Cloud Service to Jolla Users

:)

tissot 2014-02-21 09:15

Yesh!
So much of good stuff incoming.Including that Android device support and a small surprise with F-Secure/younited.
Already switched to younited on their beta and they will now be the only cloud service that supports all of my actively used devices (Windows 7, WP, Sailfish, mac, iOS).
And for Jolla nice to see them expanding to India and Hong Kong.

I believe there's still no info what this big March update includes?

OVK 2014-02-21 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by tissot (Post 1413608)
Yesh!
I believe there's still no info what this big March update includes?

I have not found any more detailed information than what is written in the press release:
"The fourth software update released in the beginning of March, raising the software to commercial readiness, will again include many important improvements and new features. These will include further improved performance, extended landscape support, lots of visual improvements, lots of new camera functionalities, enhancements to the Jolla store, new general settings, and many more."

For me the current DEALBREAKER is the lack of native offline mapping.

szopin 2014-02-21 09:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by willi6868 (Post 1413607)
Here is the press release by f-secure:
http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/corpo.../1386216/Jolla and F-Secure Join Forces to Offer younited, the Trusted Cloud Service to Jolla Users

:)

Great! After my dropbox got hacked in a matter of hours, hopefully younited will be secure (and from Finland, yay even better!)

TMavica 2014-02-21 09:44

Hong Kong Nice!
wait it long time, but I already got it on hand, lol

delmar 2014-02-21 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by OVK (Post 1413602)
From Jolla's press release (http://jolla.com/media/documents/MWC...ment_FINAL.pdf ):

Special Angry Birds TOH is coming from Rovio.

.. in cooperation with NSA

evk 2014-02-21 10:28

Quote:

Co-operation with Tieto started to bring Sailfish to companies.

Ouch... Well I hope that works out for them.

OVK 2014-02-21 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by evk (Post 1413620)
Ouch... Well I hope that works out for them.

Actually, I think that I misinterpreted that part of the news. The exact quote is

"With Tieto Corporation, Jolla will offer integration services to OEMs and ODMs willing to start the use of Sailfish OS in their products"

Don't know what I was thinking when I wrote my original post. Sorry about the confusion.

But the Tieto part is surely worrying :rolleyes:

mrsellout 2014-02-21 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by delmar (Post 1413618)
.. in cooperation with NSA

I don't get it, Rovio are a Finnish company, what do the NSA have to do with them?

mariusmssj 2014-02-21 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by OVK (Post 1413622)
Actually, I think that I misinterpreted that part of the news. The exact quote is

"With Tieto Corporation, Jolla will offer integration services to OEMs and ODMs willing to start the use of Sailfish OS in their products"

Don't know what I was thinking when I wrote my original post. Sorry about the confusion.

But the Tieto part is surely worrying :rolleyes:

I am not familiar with Tieto, are they bad?

Rauha 2014-02-21 10:49

Tieto is big finnish/swedish IT corporation.

Known for making cluster**** IT solutions for public services in Nordics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsellout (Post 1413623)
I don't get it, Rovio are a Finnish company, what do the NSA have to do with them?

NSA had hacked Rovio's servers and gotten accces to some Rovio user data that way.

Nothing to do with coperation though.

minimos 2014-02-21 11:00

Yay for the Jolla update :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tissot (Post 1413608)
Y
Already switched to younited on their beta and they will now be the only cloud service that supports all of my actively used devices

The 'privacy is guaranteed' is only a promise from FSecure or does younited allow encryption on client side (i.e. you can upload already encrypted data)?

OVK 2014-02-21 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rauha (Post 1413626)

Yes. Their business model is to offer cheap IT systems for public services and companies. They then build up totally messed up systems and get their revenue by offering expensive consultant services for "fixing" the closed, messed up systems that they build.

They have a really bad reputation here in the Nordic countries.

Metsämies 2014-02-21 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rauha (Post 1413626)

Very, very overpriced solutions, projects are late for years. Very sad for taxpayers.

m4r0v3r 2014-02-21 11:29

Whats wrong with Tieto? Also am happy about the F-secure stuff, am hoping for general file cloud storage, a solution to automatically backup my camera files, and finally, please somewhere to sync my contacts, calender and whatever else people want securely.

NokiaFanatic 2014-02-21 11:36

This is all great news. Jolla need to be able to show that there is continued momentum behind their solution and these kind of press releases and announcements do just that.

RX-51 2014-02-21 12:56

in case it's hardware is supported I'll get me a Nokia *cough Microsoft* X aka Normandy and put Sailfish OS it :D

in your face :p

Jedibeeftrix 2014-02-21 12:57

dear Jolla, i will happily pay £100 for a supported install of Sailfish on my Nexus5.

i would be overjoyed to be able to purchase that upgrade for my current handset.

Dave999 2014-02-21 15:10

Great news! So it's not called beta anymore?

Sailfish 1.0
jPhone 1.0

Now we need 2.0 :D

By the way.

Jolla will first launch sailfish look-a-like launcher "soon" for android and a firmware "later".

jLauncher 1.0

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/21/s...cher-firmware/

Rauha 2014-02-21 19:14

Quote:

Jolla should be available soon in India, Hong Kong and Russia.

Not part of the announcement, but on a related interview CEO saying that they will soon also have second retailer in addition to DNA in Finland.

http://www.digitoday.fi/bisnes/2014/...sa/20142612/66

tissot 2014-02-21 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rauha (Post 1413717)
Not part of the announcement, but on a related interview CEO saying that they will soon also have second retailer in addition to DNA in Finland.

http://www.digitoday.fi/bisnes/2014/...sa/20142612/66

My guess, verkkokauppa.com.
He seems to be hinting it's not a operator and verkkis just makes sense.

TemeV 2014-02-22 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix (Post 1413654)
dear Jolla, i will happily pay £100 for a supported install of Sailfish on my Nexus5.

i would be overjoyed to be able to purchase that upgrade for my current handset.

It seems that you don't have to pay the 100 for sailfish, it'll be free for you. :) Unfortunate thing is you can't pay to speed up things, which works with some open source projects.

mariusmssj 2014-02-22 22:18

I am interested in the app launcher Ui for android. Would like than for my nexus 7 tablet and I keep swiping the screen. Hate using buttons!!!

vasavrs 2014-02-22 23:49

Damn, I cant wait for that update. :(

Stskeeps 2014-02-23 09:13

And now for something more graphical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEsNZdcw_cU

kinggo 2014-02-23 09:50

I have to say that I don't understand this move. Does this mean that Jolla doesn't believe in their HW bussines? Even if they will be selling images for 100€ people could then still get much better HW for 400€ or little more.
Of course, it depends on which devices are supported but still......
Or is this just initial move to spread sailfish but it won't be practice later? But in that case a lot of people will be dissapointed later and they will switch back, especially if Jolla HW will still be subpar. After all, ridiculous HW specs are what made samsung what it is, touchwiz for sure didn't.

TMavica 2014-02-23 09:51

any live streaming of Jolla mwc?

trayhoper 2014-02-23 10:01

Amazing news , congratz Jolla !

strongm 2014-02-23 10:22

It's great news - but it seems to me that there is still a big gap between the working functionality of the OS we have today and one that is "commercially ready" and "a truly viable option for all smartphone users"

I'll be ecstatic if they've fixed everything, but sadly I'm sceptical.

mariusmssj 2014-02-23 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by strongm (Post 1413899)
It's great news - but it seems to me that there is still a big gap between the working functionality of the OS we have today and one that is "commercially ready" and "a truly viable option for all smartphone users"

I'll be ecstatic if they've fixed everything, but sadly I'm sceptical.

That said the builds we got seemed quite far behind what Jolla themselves were using, The first time that we seen the wireless hack by Jolla themselves in the pictures their Jolla phone already had 4G support.

The builds they were could have been months ahead to what public got.

gabriel9 2014-02-23 13:08

First I must say that I am glad for Jolla and their progress.
But as I see it, there is not much for us who bought jollaphone.
Angry birds TOH, and cloud support are not big deal...
Where is the hardware keyboard? Where are the other useful TOH which are made from Jolla. And 30€ for black plastic is just to much.
In some way I feel like I threw my money. I could buy Nexus 4 and have great hardware, two OS and still save 150€.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Jolla but I have this feeling that I could do better with my money.

mced 2014-02-23 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinggo (Post 1413895)
I have to say that I don't understand this move. Does this mean that Jolla doesn't believe in their HW bussines?

My guess is they never did and never will. Their first and unique goal is Sailfish OS. Manufacturers and brands could switch from Android to Sailfish, but they must see an actual device running it and having relative success. Jolla phone is that device.

If that goal is achieved and some important brands move to Sailfish, I guess no more Jollas will be launched.

Rauha 2014-02-23 14:33

Jolla girls @ MWC

http://instagram.com/jollagirls

gabriel9 2014-02-23 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by mced (Post 1413932)
My guess is they never did and never will. Their first and unique goal is Sailfish OS. Manufacturers and brands could switch from Android to Sailfish, but they must see an actual device running it and having relative success. Jolla phone is that device.

If that goal is achieved and some important brands move to Sailfish, I guess no more Jollas will be launched.

That could also explain mine concerns.

mariusmssj 2014-02-23 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rauha (Post 1413934)

seem to be the same ones from previous MWC.
I know I will be stereotyping
But I don't quite get the use of attractive girls like that. Geeks/men into tech are less likely to approach them to ask question than just admire them from afar.

I could be wrong

Morpog 2014-02-23 15:27

This is not a consumer fair, it's a business fair. And business men can handle pretty girls ;)

mikecomputing 2014-02-23 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinggo (Post 1413895)
I have to say that I don't understand this move. Does this mean that Jolla doesn't believe in their HW bussines? Even if they will be selling images for 100€ people could then still get much better HW for 400€ or little more.
Of course, it depends on which devices are supported but still......
Or is this just initial move to spread sailfish but it won't be practice later? But in that case a lot of people will be dissapointed later and they will switch back, especially if Jolla HW will still be subpar. After all, ridiculous HW specs are what made samsung what it is, touchwiz for sure didn't.

AFAIK the longer plan has been push sailfish to big manufactors. A small company like jolla has no damn chance compete with big players on HW since big players has the cash. Jolla has not. Same for canonical.

The fight now is between Jolla and Canonical. Question is can any of them convince big players they'r OS is the one to license...

Right now it seems more knows about canonical than Jolla related to MWC atleast. I hope Jolla can change that coming days....