maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Development (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   2012 Device Program: New Apps for Nokia Store (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84589)

qgil 2012-05-29 22:37

2012 Device Program: New Apps for Nokia Store

There are many interesting applications for the Nokia N9 that can be found in the community channels but no at the Nokia Store. Some of them would be well received by the N9 users at large, don't you think? This activity brings an incentive for community developers to cover that last mile.

APPLY and get a chance to win a Nokia N950 or Nokia N9.

This activity is part of the maemo.org 2012 Device Program.

This thread welcomes questions and comments about this activity, as well as feedback on any submissions. Posts from the developers applying are welcome here as well.

Appreciation from users of the apps proposed through the Thanks! button is also encouraged.

qwazix 2012-05-29 22:50

Re: 2012 Device Program: New Apps for Nokia Store

Applied :)

My submission is for mobilecrunch, a port of speedcrunch for the Nokia N9 with a completely rewritten UI in QML, and using modified maliit keyboard layouts for input.

bandora 2012-05-29 23:05

Hopefully this will get some other developers will be interested.. Like popular social apps and others.. I wish Nokia's attitude towards MeeGo is like qgil's and a bunch of others working for Nokia...

Elleo 2012-05-30 00:19

I'd like to apply to get Eyrie (an over-the-air music identifier) into the store. Normally I publish my apps in the store as a matter of course but with Eyrie I've been holding back as a number of N9 users have reported that the recognition reliability on the N9 is somewhat worse than on the N950 (as I understand it they have rather different microphone set ups internally), so I'd been hoping to improve this prior to submission to the store.

However, I notice the rules say that the device will be sent once the application is published. So in the case my application was successful would there be any flexibility on this point, or would I need to submit a less reliable version of the app to the store, then receive the N9, then release an improved version?

rainisto 2012-05-30 05:37

Applied.

My submission is for Presence VNC client port from N900 to N9. Or actually upgrade from my previous v0.8 release for Harmattan (v0.8 deb package avail in here: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...9&postcount=13) to v0.9 version for Harmattan. For the new version I've added support for N9 VKB and tidied up the settings UI for better fit to Harmattan resolution.

This is also listed as missing app in here Community/Wiki/Apps_Missing#Apps_in_competing_platforms_but_not_i n_Nokia_Store

timoph 2012-05-30 05:56

So this is only about getting existing stuff to the store? Not for new things?

qgil 2012-05-30 06:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by timoph (Post 1214753)
So this is only about getting existing stuff to the store? Not for new things?

That's the focus, yes. There is a code competition for new things and a Qt 5 focused activity for very very new & experimental things. :)

I hadn't thought about the combination of something existing for Maemo 5 and making it to the Nokia Store for N9. Interesting and to be considered depending on 'pure' submissions.

qgil 2012-05-30 06:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elleo (Post 1214683)
So in the case my application was successful would there be any flexibility on this point, or would I need to submit a less reliable version of the app to the store, then receive the N9, then release an improved version?

Why not trying submitting to the store anyway? Is it really so big the difference between N950 and N9?

Elleo 2012-05-30 06:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by qgil (Post 1214760)
Why not trying submitting to the store anyway? Is it really so big the difference between N950 and N9?

Well I can only go on reports from N9 users, but a number of people have complained about it being unable to recognise songs which are reliably detected on an N950. And with the propensity of store users to give bad reviews I'd like it to be as reliable as it can be before unleashing it upon them ;).

nath 2012-05-30 06:46

Do you need some more testers then? I could easily compare with both devices here.