maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   OS2008 / Maemo 4 / Chinook - Diablo (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   'Fixed in Fremantle' and Diablo community SSU (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=30648)

Stskeeps 2009-08-04 17:41

'Fixed in Fremantle' and Diablo community SSU

This project is now active and working!:

Read more at http://wiki.maemo.org/Diablo_Community_Project

Original post:

I was thinking a bit about the community SSU to Diablo and how to go about it. Obviously we have some community-relevant fixes to the application manager and some other things that can be useful.

But what I'm wondering about - if you had a chance to select one favourite Fixed in Fremantle bug fixed in the open source packages and have this backported to be fixed in a community SSU, which would you take - and why?

EDIT: Please note the bugs.maemo.org bug numbers in question too. :)

zerojay 2009-08-04 17:42

Re: 'Fixed in Fremantle' and Diablo community SSU

And the list of 'Fixed in Freemantle' bugs is...where?

sjgadsby 2009-08-04 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerojay (Post 308834)

The size of the list is going to depend upon what exactly you want to lump in under the "Fixed in Fremantle" header, but I have the results of a quick search.

(By the way, Zerojay, it's "Fremantle", not "Freemantle". It's a small thing, but the extra "e" you include doesn't jive with your focus on text perfection.)

Stskeeps 2009-08-04 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerojay (Post 308834)

https://bugs.maemo.org/buglist.cgi?t...solution=FIXED is also a possibility.

zerojay 2009-08-04 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjgadsby (Post 308836)
(By the way, Zerojay, it's "Fremantle", not "Freemantle". It's a small thing, but the extra "e" you include doesn't jive with your focus on text perfection.)

I blame all the times I've had to use the word "freemasons" over the last two months. ;/

tso 2009-08-04 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stskeeps (Post 308832)
But what I'm wondering about - if you had a chance to select one favourite Fixed in Fremantle bug fixed in the open source packages and have this backported to be fixed in a community SSU, which would you take - and why?

sadly, its not so much a fix as a total rewrite. basically, what irks me the most is that until diablo, one could trigger a network access while in offline mode, say yes on the dialog, and have wifi connect to a saved hotspot automatically...

since diablo, it instead claims that it cant find any saved hotspots, and i have the impression the nokia devs know where the bug is, but as the networking system have been fully replaced for fremantle, there will never be a fix...

sachin007 2009-08-04 18:03

A2DP please!

Stskeeps 2009-08-04 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by tso (Post 308839)
sadly, its not so much a fix as a total rewrite. basically, what irks me the most is that until diablo, one could trigger a network access while in offline mode, say yes on the dialog, and have wifi connect to a saved hotspot automatically...

since diablo, it instead claims that it cant find any saved hotspots, and i have the impression the nokia devs know where the bug is, but as the networking system have been fully replaced for fremantle, there will never be a fix...

AFAIK we're still on icd and libconic. Correct me if I'm wrong.

buurmas 2009-08-04 18:20

Does upgrading the Flash player count? If so, I think that would get my vote. There are MicroB bugs that bother me, but then I just use Tear instead.

EDIT:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stskeeps (Post 308832)
one favourite Fixed in Fremantle bug fixed in the open source packages

Oops -- it probably doesn't count. Apologies.

gazza_d 2009-08-04 19:07

Even though it's not open, the fix which unbreaks metalayer-crawled since the last SSU would be a good thing to add, especially if we can add an option to start/stop the thing at will.

Otherwise just all the simple stuff which is easy to fix. I would sooner see the efforts put into bringing Mer up to the level where it can replace Maemo, and run all the new versions of apps like Gpodder, and Mauku.

Spending a lot of time fixing diablo, doesn't change the fact that it's now a dead end, and that the majority of new development is understandably going to be for Fremantle.

Being able to provide access to all or most of those apps on the current hardware would seem to me to be the best use of the resources available.