maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   JollaC & Intex Aqua Fish (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Jolla C not properly assembled?! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=98398)

HtheB 2016-11-24 10:19

Jolla C not properly assembled?!

I had some problems with my headphones when using it on the Jolla C, it probably was a bit loose so I kept losing the microphone functionality; I had to re-plug the headphones and make sure that I don't touch it again, otherwise it'll lose the microphone again from my headphones.

So I decided to open up the Jolla C.
I bend the pins a bit so it will make good contact again.

Then I noticed that the camera was a bit loose.
I thought; This might be the reason why the camera is making those clicking noises.

So I unplugged the ribbon cable from the camera, just to find out that the bottom part of the camera had still the protection layer of the sticker on it!? Oh god.. seriously!?

So the camera is basically loose the whole time...
Now that I removed that protection, the camera does not wobble anymore.

I'll let you guys know if this actually solve the camera problems (and my headphone problems :p )

HtheB 2016-11-24 11:01

Re: Jolla C not properly assembled?!

Headphone problems solved!
Camera problem not confirmed yet

pichlo 2016-11-24 11:11

I had (almost) the same problem with my Jolla 1. After a few months of use, the main speaker went completely silent. Opening up the phone and bending the pins solved it. 18 months on and still going strong.

HtheB 2016-11-24 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1519308)
I had (almost) the same problem with my Jolla 1. After a few months of use, the main speaker went completely silent. Opening up the phone and bending the pins solved it. 18 months on and still going strong.

I'm afraid that my problem will reoccur after some time though, if I plug my headphones in and out :(

chenliangchen 2016-11-24 12:13

Still worrying physical quality. Unfortunately Jolla never being well on hardware side.

mikecomputing 2016-11-24 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1519309)
I'm afraid that my problem will reoccur after some time though, if I plug my headphones in and out :(

Save to a good BT headset instead ;) such as:

http://www.philips.se/c-p/SHB9850NC_...brusreducering

HtheB 2016-11-24 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecomputing (Post 1519330)
Save to a good BT headset instead ;) such as:

http://www.philips.se/c-p/SHB9850NC_...brusreducering

Have you ever tried using a bluetooth headset on Jolla(C) with Skype? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Right now, I'm using the Shure SE215
http://www.shure.com/americas/produc...ting-earphones

ste-phan 2016-11-25 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1519308)

Interesting, one of 3 or 4 times I have sent the cursed thing back to Jolla care was for the reason you mention.
Replacement or fixed speaker never really worked in terms of being able to attract attention in time to answer phone. That is because the sound is just sounding so thin and lacking body, it is like a background hiss.
Just learned to live with the fact that it is not a good phone.

kinggo 2016-11-25 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1519309)

Apple has a solution for you. :D

pisarz1958 2017-06-24 11:07

Digging up an old thread, I know, but it seemed more appropriate than creating a new one.

How are your Jollas and AquaFish phones holding up? I got my AquaFish just 4 months ago and I'm really worried about the build quality of the device (and since I'm in Europe, I doubt I could get the thing serviced/replace in a reasonable time without additional cost, I guess). Despite my greatest efforts - really, I treat all my devices with care - I noticed that some kind of plastic coating is peeling off (or rather, crumbling) around the screen, revealing glossy plastic. It feels bad in hand and looks terrible. I assume it's just a manufacturing defect in my unit.

aspergerguy 2017-06-24 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by pisarz1958 (Post 1529588)
Despite my greatest efforts - really, I treat all my devices with care - I noticed that some kind of plastic coating is peeling off (or rather, crumbling) around the screen, revealing glossy plastic. It feels bad in hand and looks terrible. I assume it's just a manufacturing defect in my unit.

Have always used Brotect AirGlass upon AquaFish, which as stands slightly proud probably helps reduce wear on this part of housing. Jolla 1 just gets shinier on the corners as more matt black coating worn away.

MJ m 2017-06-25 03:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by pisarz1958 (Post 1529588)
Digging up an old thread, I know, but it seemed more appropriate than creating a new one.

How are your Jollas and AquaFish phones holding up? I got my AquaFish just 4 months ago and I'm really worried about the build quality of the device (and since I'm in Europe, I doubt I could get the thing serviced/replace in a reasonable time without additional cost, I guess). Despite my greatest efforts - really, I treat all my devices with care - I noticed that some kind of plastic coating is peeling off (or rather, crumbling) around the screen, revealing glossy plastic. It feels bad in hand and looks terrible. I assume it's just a manufacturing defect in my unit.

The plastic coating is peeling off on my aqua fish too. Also random quite loud clicking noises(is it the camera like HtheB said?), sometimes speakers produce some hissing noise and sometimes heats up to crazy hot, Sometimes battery drains very fast. Gps not very reliable.

pisarz1958 2017-06-25 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspergerguy (Post 1529599)
Have always used Brotect AirGlass upon AquaFish, which as stands slightly proud probably helps reduce wear on this part of housing. Jolla 1 just gets shinier on the corners as more matt black coating worn away.

I use AirGlass as well, it doesn't cover the bezel around the screen though. Good to know I'm not the only one who has this problem. I mean, it's not good, but at least it's not just my unit. Camera clicking noise was fixed in Iijoki, so the only random "clicking" noise I'm hearing now is the screen not being assembled properly, which doesn't inspire confidence.

I just wish the build quality wasn't this bad.

Hensch 2017-06-26 13:35

The coating gets also loose on my Aqua Fish. As the plastic underneath is black it doesn't mind for me. I think it was more difficult for Intex to produce a smooth plastic surface and so they gave it a coating. Only bad thing are the coating pieces at your desk, in your car or whereever ;-)

Next thing: The Intex logo is getting loose. I hope sometimes all letters will fall off so there will be a clean look again...

I've got a 3M screen protection. As we know, the screen is not made of glass and I think this is the first you should do when getting a brand new Aqua Fish/Jolla C.

The power Button seems to wear over time. I have to press it a bit harder to get some reaction.

Sometimes, I hear that cell modem distortion sound from the speaker. This can be an electrical fault or maybe it can be fixed by software.

That's all I think. Apart from that, I find the Aqua Fish is a nice daily phone. I cannot use LTE with Vodafone in Germany, but I don't need it. 3G is fast enough for me.

pycage 2017-06-26 15:35

After one year with the Jolla C as my daily driver, it's still in a very good condition. I usually carry it in my pocket with no protective case.

seiichiro0185 2017-06-26 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by pycage (Post 1529698)
After one year with the Jolla C as my daily driver, it's still in a very good condition. I usually carry it in my pocket with no protective case.

It's the same for me, the only protection I use is a glass screen protector, rest of the phone is unprotected and usually in the front pocket of my jeans. Phone still looks fine, no visible scratches on the case, only a little bit off coating is missing on the edge of the backcover between the power and volume keys. (only visible if you look for it).

pisarz1958 2017-07-01 12:58

Seems like I'm just not as fortunate.

http://i.imgur.com/Vtjpywm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/sFeOpbE.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/Ezdx1Zd.jpg

I must admit I did "help it" lose some of that coating as I find it really unpleasant to feel those leftover bits, but still. My OCD is so triggered now, lol.