maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Push Notification on N9 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81390)

UnlimiteD3k 2012-01-06 07:16

Push Notification on N9

I have noticed that there is no official or commercial app that utilizes push notification on my N9!

Currently I see only 2 apps which both are Betas (xms and pulse)

This leads me to think that this feature is still in testing phase at best and they can't rely on it yet! You guys agree?

Maybe pr 1.2 will solve this?

Willem Liu 2012-01-06 08:42

Re: Push Notification on N9

My guess is that the Notifications API is just too poorly documented.

jalyst 2012-01-06 13:41

I recall push notifications (along with the updating/notifications) being one of the things that's improved.
See konttori's blog post.... I vaguely recall him explaining that in the comments.....

UnlimiteD3k 2012-01-06 14:52

Konttori's post wasn't very useful in this regard. He basicly said that it was suppose to come and he doesn't see it yet. Or I didn't understand properly!!

jalyst 2012-01-06 15:31

I assume you know which one I'm referring to, there's lots there, have another read I guess.

I haven't followed it for yonks, I think he may have stopped responding to questions.
People kept asking the same freaking Qns, w/o making any effort to search/read the thread.

He is not in the same department anymore anyway...
We need another "konttori", hopefully a lead Maemo6x dev will 'step up' when 1.2's released.

There's also some TMO/FMC threads that discuss/summarize things he's confirmed.

Failing that you could trawl the commits to see if you can see any evidence.
He links to them in his post....
Or search the bug-tracker to see if devs have confirmed it, in any of the lodged bugs.

Netweaver 2012-01-06 20:43

Notifications API was 'working' to some degree at least, quite some time ago.

I recall a visit from Quim Gil to the Nimbuzz guys and in one afternoon they had the main message push pipe between the Nimbuzz client (not sure if it was in the Meego or Harmattan 'universe') and the Nimbuzz server working using the Notifications API.

I was soo hopefull that there finally was a possibility for an efficient always 'on' multiprotocol chat on NOKIA tablets/phones.

But alas, all efforts died (as far as we saw at least).

I'ld love to see some action back in it :)

gionni88 2012-02-21 11:26

I'm implementing Push Notifications in InternetRadioPlayer. In this way I don't have to upgrade the application to add new stations, but just send a push notifications and in less than a sec the stations are added.

But custom icon, title, subtitle and description works only on symbian platform, sadly.

coopere 2012-02-21 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimiteD3k (Post 1146475)
I have noticed that there is no official or commercial app that utilizes push notification on my N9!

Currently I see only 2 apps which both are Betas (xms and pulse)

This leads me to think that this feature is still in testing phase at best and they can't rely on it yet! You guys agree?

Maybe pr 1.2 will solve this?

PR 1.2 looks like it will address this. Push notifications will be enabled for Facebook and Twitter. They'll show on the lock screen as well as in the feeds.

jalyst 2012-02-21 17:07

There's def. a bug or bugs assoc. w/the Nokia acct & push server which enables other apps to provide push notifications.
Hopefully this has been improved much more with PR1.2, it will be very disappointing if it hasn't.

Kozzi 2012-02-22 17:54

You can add Web2SMS that list also as I can see it in the system settings, disabling it will also disable sms sending through the app.