maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] EvilAlarm (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=57137)

cpulvermacher 2010-06-25 19:40

[Announce] EvilAlarm

2 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone, I've just uploaded EvilAlarm to extras-devel.
To quote the description:

An alarm clock which cannot be turned off while asleep
Moving the phone will silence the alarm for a short time, but it will restart unless you get up and carry your phone around. The alarm will turn off after a (configurable) time span.

If you're capable of turning off your alarm clock before remembering why you should get up, you may find this helpful. ;)

Screenshots of main window and alarm:

branek 2010-06-25 19:46

Re: [Announce] EvilAlarm 0.1

Superb idea... :)

keep it good..
branek

MrGrim 2010-06-25 19:48

Actually a simple way to discourage cheating would be to use some sort of puzzle, or maybe a calculation. Generally if the brain is forced to use reason, it wakes up. Carrying around can be replaced by waving the device, or even cause sleep-walking

cpulvermacher 2010-06-25 19:57

Oh, I meant cheating as in killing the process to turn it off.
Originally I wanted to do some sort of puzzle, but using the accelerometer seems to work quite nicely - having to wave the phone around every few seconds is annoying enough for me to get up ;)

Devrim 2010-06-25 20:00

- Some protection against cheating

Haha...This is a must for me :D

I was getting annoyed by the easy to disable default alarm on the N900 so keep up the good work! :D

ToJa92 2010-06-25 20:08

Seems nice :)

Maybe you can have different ways to deactivate alarm that you can choose? For example, a four-piece puzzle, math problem, or a scrambled word and you're forced to shift the characters to the correct place ;)

alienhead 2010-06-25 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpulvermacher (Post 729454)
Oh, I meant cheating as in killing the process to turn it off.
Originally I wanted to do some sort of puzzle, but using the accelerometer seems to work quite nicely - having to wave the phone around every few seconds is annoying enough for me to get up ;)

You have some brains man. awesome, thanks for the wonderful app.

Bingley Joe 2010-06-25 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToJa92 (Post 729460)
Seems nice :)

Maybe you can have different ways to deactivate alarm that you can choose? For example, a four-piece puzzle, math problem, or a scrambled word and you're forced to shift the characters to the correct place ;)

Those are great ideas, but I think in keeping with the spirit of this alarm clock, the app should be the one to choose the puzzle ;)

ndi 2010-06-25 22:49

Heh, good idea. However, I fixed mine by sliding it under the bed. To reach the lil bugger I have to get out of bed and crawl. Wakes me up.

When it's really important, I put the phone away, a few meters from the bed, on a shelf. Requires waking up, standing, and searching for stop.

telnet 2010-06-25 23:21

Mental app!!! i havent found an alarm yet that is guaranteed to wake me every time.. how about it keeps going off as soon as it cant detect movement for 30 secs and then you need to enter a five digit pin to dissable it, ie when u get into the shower!!!

i havent tested this but the concept is awsome for a lazy sh1t like me who slept through bunsfield being only 5 miles away when it blew and that was the biggest explosion in mainland europe in the last 50 years i heard .)

gonne go download now .)