maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   The 'EPIC' "Will Nokia release another MeeGo device after N9?" poll (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74217)

shallimus 2011-06-21 22:55

The 'EPIC' "Will Nokia release another MeeGo device after N9?" poll

I've read [most of] the EPIC N9 anticipation thread. I watched the speeches live from Nokia Connection, and I heard Elop say "MeeGo" once (or was it twice?) but I also heard him say "many features from the N9 will live on in WP7", implying that MeeGo at Nokia is dead. Yet I also saw the chart showing continued (if reduced) investment in MeeGo by Nokia.

Like many of us here, I don't have much in the way of actual facts about future plans for Nokia/MeeGo, but I'm very interested in seeing it continue.

So I ask: will Nokia release another MeeGo device after the N9?

For the purposes of this question:
  • I don't count the N950 as I'll never get one (and most likely neither will you).
  • Let's assume Harmattan is MeeGo and that the N9 is a MeeGo device.
  • If you have facts/rational analysis which leads you to believe that a MeeGo successor to the N9 is coming: please share it here.
  • Edit: as pointed out by excelar8; this poll might as well be EPIC
  • Edit2: to keep gerbick happy (also, those who misplaced their sense of their irony, or anyone who got lost and ended up here on their way to /b/), sarcasm quotes have been added to the word EPIC in the thread title

misterc 2011-06-22 06:41

Re: Will Nokia release another MeeGo device after N9?

not really an answer, of course (who knows?), rather spilling out thoughts about a couple things, let's say N900 centred.

the N9 may well be the official entrance of NOKIA in the smart phone arena even though one may consider the MIDs (Mobile Internet Devices, thus the Maemo devices 770, N800, N810 and N900) as smart phone pioneers.

why isn't NOKIA the absolute leader for smart phones if they had such a head start? maybe because prior to the N900, MIDs hadn't the "phone" feature, no SIM?
will there ever be another MID? probably not.
will there ever be another MeeGo (smart) phone from NOKIA?
according to Jo Harlow, Executive Vice President, Smart Devices the N9 is an early-adopter tech geek device. this doesn't sound like roaring sales expectations, now, does it?
furthermore drivers for new ("disruptive") technologies would have to be shared with m$ which would hamper development and introduction of such features on the wp platform.

thus, yes, we will probably see NOKIA MeeGo devices in the future.
it would be unrealistic to expect a new "disruptive" technology every few months, thus such devices will be few.
considering that wmobile devices have already been flashed with android and depending on the hardware choices for wp, it might be possible to flash them with MeeGo, no?

then again, NOKIA isn't the 1st (mobile phone) company to enter an "exclusive" agreement with m$; LG did the same tow years ago @ the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona and were (are!) supposed to have up to 50 m$ devices in 2012.
only a few months ago, LG jumped onto the MeeGo bandwagon :D :cool:

excelar8 2011-06-22 07:01

is this an EPIC poll? I need to know before I answer

debernardis 2011-06-22 07:04

They'll make other meegophones eventually, but not before demand for them is saturated by koreans, chinese and whatnot.
Stopping meego phones delivery now like Elopwants means making the hare vs tortoise race [see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdZIfafAlaU ] with Nokia featuring the hare in the past few years.

zlatokosi 2011-06-22 07:11

No, and to anyone that thinks otherwise, let me quote Elop from the blog below:

“I am simply going to choose to respectfully disagree on multiple fronts”

Maybe in 5 years, if MeeGo is successful.

http://felipec.wordpress.com/2011/06...elop-on-meego/

Power 2011-06-22 07:13

I am just speculating but I doubt if Nokia will make another one of these. In fact I was surprised they did this too.

Meego and Maemo had the same problem that Bada has... marked adoption I think. Unless, you make enough phones with Meego and price it low enough, you cannot get people to buy. So, it's a chicken and egg situation and if Nokia doesn't do enough of it, it's going the Palm way :(

shallimus 2011-06-22 14:57

Re: The EPIC "Will Nokia release another MeeGo device after N9?" poll

Sadly the consensus is already appearing that it's probably not going to happen. Then again, we were all waiting for Jessy's Girl to be released as the N9, and that didn't turn out the way we expected either!

So maybe there's hope for us yet.

Or not.

I wonder how this poll will look to us when we look back 1-2 years from now...

gerbick 2011-06-22 15:18

Thread isn't epic. Poll isn't epic either.

And Nokia isn't going to go full steam into MeeGo either. Not unless by some miracle they sort out the missing services that will make consumers happy, work out the lack of 3rd party vendor support and then give the hackers and geeks a hardware keyboard version with some CPU/GPU combination that's higher spec'd out than the current N9 iteration and somehow do so without causing issues with what's supposed to happen to the WP7 phones.

And all of that has to happen with a much smaller budget. So no. I don't personally foresee MeeGo coming out in any other Nokia phone.

Frappacino 2011-06-22 15:23

<sacarsm>
Oh but you are so negative - cant you see the UI is so sexah ! Everyone will buy it cause its sexah !

Who cares about apps and stuff - look at how smoothly it scrolls !
</sacarsm>

edit - sacarsm tags added for the impaired.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1036036)
Thread isn't epic. Poll isn't epic either.

And Nokia isn't going to go full steam into MeeGo either. Not unless by some miracle they sort out the missing services that will make consumers happy, work out the lack of 3rd party vendor support and then give the hackers and geeks a hardware keyboard version with some CPU/GPU combination that's higher spec'd out than the current N9 iteration and somehow do so without causing issues with what's supposed to happen to the WP7 phones.

And all of that has to happen with a much smaller budget. So no. I don't personally foresee MeeGo coming out in any other Nokia phone.

ajack 2011-06-22 16:18

Re: The 'EPIC' "Will Nokia release another MeeGo device after N9?" poll

I think Nokia will port Harmattan to the WP7, MeeGo is dead to Nokia... The N9 is just a face saving exercise and the N950 is just the older designed "original" N9 that operators rejected and that they have a ton of them in a warehouse somewhere.