maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Pretenders To The Phone Throne 2013[POLL] (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=88511)

automagic68 2013-01-07 06:29

Re: Pretenders To The Phone Throne 2013[POLL]

I just hope either iOS or Android mindshare and marketshare drops significantly, I'm tired of Android fanboys and iPhone commercials that hypnotize iSheep all day long. . .

droll 2013-01-07 07:16

ubuntu gets my vote.

Hacker 2013-01-07 07:49

Hmmm, I think that I'm most interested in BB10 right now, because the older I get, the more weight I give to actually producing a device and OS that I can get my hot little hands on. “Hype and wait” gets old, and BB10 is mere weeks away, has a functional design much like the N9, will be fully supported, and has fairly good specs.

But I also agree that the Ubuntu vids and Sailfish vids look interesting, but they're too far away to get me excited.

droll 2013-01-07 23:26

i'll wait. i have a spare N900. that should last me all the way to 2014 when, hopefully, ubuntu appears!

but i do admit, BB10 is looking pretty awesome. i actually think if they pull off their marketing right, RIM might make a small dent in the others' market share.

juiceme 2013-01-08 06:41

I do not quite understand the facination that people have with BlackBerry10. Granted, it maybe uses QT but the main problem is that the OS is closed QNX and not Linux. QT is good but it's not the dealbreaker, it's not the thing that matters.

Hence, it may look nice and be quite usable as a smartphone but otherwice it's just like iOS or WP, it's no fun to me. :eek:

thedead1440 2013-01-08 07:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1312229)
I do not quite understand the facination that people have with BlackBerry10.

Swipe and bezel gestures...

Hacker 2013-01-08 07:52

I'm not a devel, but I know that at least a couple of peeps posting here at TMO are developing apps for BB10. I'd like to think that our devs could bring their stuff to BB10, if they wished, but I know it's no Linux.

Makeclick 2013-01-08 08:08

Right now Sailfish, but Ubuntu mobile is not so far a way, i personally like .deb file managers. I you everyday Ubuntu 12.10, so it's not impossible, that i will use the Ubuntu over the Sailfish. Time will tell, but i don't ever going to touch any windows phone! yak!

juiceme 2013-01-08 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1312233)
Swipe and bezel gestures...

Yes, it's a lookalike to Harmattan UI, but that is just skin deep. The swipe UI is a pleasure to use but it makes just another smartphone.

The important thing is that it is FOSS all over underneath, that it is possible to go to shell and do quick hacks on the system with tools that already exist there, you can make the device do what you want it to do by just using vi and dbus-send, and just think about it, the device has python preinstalled! :D

And if that is not enough, it's no brainer to cook up a quick kernel module to change the behaviour of the whole device, or replace the whole kernel if there is something special you need to do.

That is my kind of system. Currently nothing beats it except N900.

panukooo 2013-01-10 05:01

bb10, because it is the closest thing to meego. i believed in sailfish but i don't think they will survive, i didn't like the UI i expected more, just one n9 improved whitout any rare or complex things, idon't know, meego was perfect i would buy a thousand times. is hard, but blackberry is my next phone