maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   MWC 2012: speculations around Nokia (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82165)

helex 2012-02-07 17:14

MWC 2012: speculations around Nokia

1 Attachment(s)
Time for speculations!

I read a tweet from our well known Eldar Murtazin @eldarmurtazin about the upcoming MWC:

Quote:

Bravo&applause (without any kind of irony) - Nokia did a really smart move to mass market. Reading MWC materials - more info soon...
Not very spectacular. But if you know Eldar, you know he acts like a Nokia hater and it is not a big secret he favours Android and especially Samsung. Haven't read anything positive from him about Nokia the past 2 years. Or have I missed anything?

So, what could a Nokia hater and a Android supporter consider a "smart move" for the mass market?

Moreover I wonder what it could be after I read last week that Nokia has axed all Symbian device development except a single device. A successor for the N8.

Eldar difficult relationship began with a withering review of a early N8 prototype. So I'm sure he wouldn't consider any kind of symbian device a smart move. Perhaps he meant the earlier death of symbian with "smart move"?

Hardly to believe. Perhaps the Meltemi platform made a good progress?

But since Eldar also don't like Harmattan, why should he name Meltemi a clever move?
Perhaps excepting Nokia has finally integrated a android application emulator like alien-dalvik into their mass market meltemi devices. In this case our android fanboy Eldar would see support for his child in a Nokia device.

Am I right with my thought experiment?

Or would Eldar selling the smartphone division to Microsoft call a smart move? No, not for Nokia. Also Eldar wouldn't selling WP7 and WP8 devices in the low end market (below 50$) smart. Or judge I his mindset wrongly?

tigas 2012-02-07 17:23

Re: MWC 2012: speculations around Nokia

They're going to show Tango phones for 200 USD unlocked (Tango is Mango downsized and localized for all the world) and Apollo phones running Windows8 Metro apps. And an Apollo tablet under NDA.

If they even speak about Meltemi, colour me surprised. I wish they do, though.

helex 2012-02-07 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigas (Post 1161773)
They're going to show Tango phones for 200 USD unlocked (Tango is Mango downsized and localized for all the world) and Apollo phones running Windows8 Metro apps. And an Apollo tablet under NDA.

Oh, so nothing really interesting... :confused:

Dave999 2012-02-07 18:00

Who doesn't favor Samsung over nokia these days. Nokia killed Maemo and Meego without any kind of respect for the great OSes. Why should we favor them?

Samsung do everything right atm. Nokia do everything wrong for years...

Now to the speculations.

Nokia will announce some lowend windows phones and charge its customers a highend price just becouse they have unibody-shell around the phones????

After that they will announce that they yet again stand on a burning plattform and they will move to Tizen for their future smartphones.

Nokia: go and build another n900 instead for your last money...and go out in style.

tissot 2012-02-07 19:03

Reuters confirmed Nokia will announce some new devices.

- Lumia 900 for Europe and Asia
- Low end Tango phones
- or the much rumored N8 successor

I would take Lumia 900 or N8 successor thank you. :D
Been looking for N8 seeing the todays belle update. Can get that phone for dirt cheap.

helex 2012-02-07 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1161793)
Who doesn't favor Samsung over nokia these days. Nokia killed Maemo and Meego without any kind of respect for the great OSes. Why should we favor them?

I have currently only one reason to favour Nokia over Samsung. It is the built quality of the Hardware. It feels not like cheap plastic even if it is only made out of polycarbonate. ;)
But with the Lumia series the Hardware quality is useless if the Software didn't work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tissot (Post 1161814)
I would take Lumia 900 or N8 successor thank you. :D

Dude, take the N8 successor. Even the current N8 is superior compared to the Lumia 900. The Lumia 900 is mostly idential to the Lumia 800 exept some minor parts and the display.

So... Lumia 900, N8 successor... those are all not mass market related, perhaps the N8 successor, but if it is the last and ultimate symbian device how could this be a smart move to release such a device?
The Android devices out there from Samsung, HTC, Motorola and others are way more mass market related compared to a device without the possibility of a successor. :confused: