maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Group MMS (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99771)

imaginaryenemy 2017-08-28 19:04

Group MMS

I posted this on an existing question on TJC, but I thought I would see if you guys had any thoughts, also.

I know that group mms is a thing that is mostly used in the US, but is there ANY chance of an official OR unofficial way to get this working? I am contemplating switching fully to Sailfish, but too many people in my life use group mms for me to feel comfortable not having it. I understand that Android apps are not able to be used in this way, correct? (I am using a Sailfish port on my Nexus 5 without Android, so I can't test it personally.) Any help on this would be very appreciated.

juiceme 2017-08-29 04:40

Re: Group MMS

So how does that work, I use a lot of sms/mms messaging but usually only to single contact per message?
Do you mean you cannot send mms to multiple recipients?
(as I think I have done that, unless I remember wrong)

imaginaryenemy 2017-08-29 15:50

Group MMS is a conversation with multiple people in a single message thread. Think more like a chat room. If I send two friends the message "When are we meeting for dinner?", everyone can see everyone's responses. That way six separate conversations don't need to happen. We are all informed without having to forward messages to the other people.

gerbick 2017-08-29 16:26

Is that handled differently? I've always thought of a group MMS as basically an implicit comma between each number.

imaginaryenemy 2017-08-29 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1533543)
Is that handled differently? I've always thought of a group MMS as basically an implicit comma between each number.

To me, an implicit comma would mean every recipient would receive a separate message from me- and the reply would only go to me . That is NOT a group MMS. That is bulk sending an SMS.

Group MMS makes a multi-directional dialog possible.

In Sailfish, it only sends bulk SMS, and receives group MMS as single sender- text only MMS. The only way to tell it was a group MMS and not just a regular text message, is looking at the messaging apps cover.

juiceme 2017-08-29 19:42

OK, so it looks like this multi-party MMS is a network feature and not a device feature.
Do you know where that is implemented, in android probably? Does iOS and WP have that too?

imaginaryenemy 2017-08-29 20:09

No, this is a device software feature. Android, WP, iOS, BB10, all have the ability. Symbian, Hartmattan, Maemo, and Sailfish have been the only platforms I know of that don't utilize it.

juiceme 2017-08-29 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy (Post 1533556)
No, this is a device software feature. Android, WP, iOS, BB10, all have the ability. Symbian, Hartmattan, Maemo, and Sailfish have been the only platforms I know of that don't utilize it.

hmm so bear with me as I still don't understand; if it is not a network-based feature then it means that everyone participating sends every message for everyone else?

Say, you've got 10 pals and you send a group MMS to them in the group, and when everyone replies to you they also automagically reply to all others so there is totals an exchange of 100 MMS'es?

Sounds a bit wasteful to me...

So in the end it is just a way of grouping messages in local database?
Is the "group" free-form, like, if you forward a group SMS to somebody, then she'll also get the list of recipients in the group, and when she replies to you (as the 12'th group member), she will also automaticallly send the message to the 10 other pals in the group?
Or do you have to "create" the group from contacts prior to sending a message?

Is this MMS header containing the recipients defined in some 3GPP specification or is is unofficial addition?

gerbick 2017-08-29 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1533561)
Sounds a bit wasteful to me...

It honestly is far from wasteful actually. You will receive responses in the same thread, collected as part of the discussion/messaging.

Sure, you can point and say, "Why don't you use <insert third party app like Slack for instance>?" but the only necessity for entry is simply to possess a phone with group MMS capability.

No extra app needed. No extreme workaround required. Group the people that you want to send and share the conversation.

I use group MMS to broadcast to many people one item that would only be replaced with sending 10 people the same damn message over and over. Now that's wasteful.

Having to convince friends to install an app; equally wasteful to me.

imaginaryenemy 2017-08-29 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1533564)
It honestly is far from wasteful actually. You will receive responses in the same thread, collected as part of the discussion/messaging.

Sure, you can point and say, "Why don't you use <insert third party app like Slack for instance>?" but the only necessity for entry is simply to possess a phone with group MMS capability.

No extra app needed. No extreme workaround required. Group the people that you want to send and share the conversation.

I use group MMS to broadcast to many people one item that would only be replaced with sending 10 people the same damn message over and over. Now that's wasteful.

Having to convince friends to install an app; equally wasteful to me.

This exactly.

Anyone have any guesses on how to make this work on Sailfish?