maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Brainstorm (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   [Implemented] Automatically grab avatars from social services for Contacts app (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33499)

qgil 2009-10-26 11:51

[Implemented] Automatically grab avatars from social services for Contacts app

This is the discussion thread of this Brainstorm proposal: Automatically grab avatars from social services for Contacts app

allnameswereout 2009-10-26 12:11

Re: [Under consideration] Automatically grab avatars from social services for Contacts app

Gravatar is popular service to host avatar to allow to sync with other platforms. To access their API you can implement in plugin for your software. They have tons reference implementations and reference implementations in tons of languages. (I've never the platform btw.)

hasselmm 2009-10-26 14:12

Re: [Under consideration] Automatically grab avatars from social services for Contacts app

For grabbing contacts from Facebook I am experimenting with telepathy-gruschler right now:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~hasselm...athy-gruschler

Still Facebook can hardly be used to automatically annotate contacts with Avatars: The API is too closed. For instance it doesn't export any reliable information like email addresses or phone numbers for privacy reasons.

Gravatar support? Yes, this would make sense. It's an easy to use service.

Texrat 2009-10-26 16:33

I would hope we could eventually have avatars distinct per Contact group, with a default master avatar. I would not want my ugly rat icon displayed to business contacts. ;)

zerojay 2009-10-26 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by hasselmm (Post 358242)
For grabbing contacts from Facebook I am experimenting with telepathy-gruschler right now:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~hasselm...athy-gruschler

Still Facebook can hardly be used to automatically annotate contacts with Avatars: The API is too closed. For instance it doesn't export any reliable information like email addresses or phone numbers for privacy reasons.

Gravatar support? Yes, this would make sense. It's an easy to use service.

Didn't know about this telepathy plugin. Interesting.

Jaffa 2009-10-26 18:16

I'd argue you can use the Facebook API to get avatars, because I already do in Hermes. The point is that most people probably don't have three "Dave Smith"s as Facebook friends and in their Contacts.

Hermes currently does:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Future possibilities:
  • Google Contacts (Mail for Exchange doesn't retrieve images, I'm told)
  • gravatar.com
  • maemo.org ;-)

sjgadsby 2009-10-26 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaffa (Post 358416)
...most people probably don't have three "Dave Smith"s as Facebook friends and in their Contacts.

That's probably true, but my family and my wife's family each have their own set of "favorite" names, used again and again. I've resorted to including middle initials, nicknames, and other tie breakers in the "first name" fields for a number of my contacts to stop Hermes from assigning every person with a particular name the same avatar and birthday.

allnameswereout 2009-10-26 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaffa (Post 358416)
The point is that most people probably don't have three "Dave Smith"s as Facebook friends and in their Contacts.

There are common first names in every language, such as 'John', 'Avi', 'Mohammed'. Same for last name. Collisions are bound to occur.

Jaffa 2009-10-26 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjgadsby (Post 358430)
That's probably true, but my family and my wife's family each have their own set of "favorite" names, used again and again. I've resorted to including middle initials, nicknames, and other tie breakers in the "first name" fields for a number of my contacts to stop Hermes from assigning every person with a particular name the same avatar and birthday.

Have you raised a bug about not using the same social network friend more than once? ;-)

Jaffa 2009-10-26 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by allnameswereout (Post 358516)
There are common first names in every language, such as 'John', 'Avi', 'Mohammed'. Same for last name. Collisions are bound to occur.

Is this actually a problem? I don't know anyone with the same first name and last name combination, and I don't know if I'm abnormal in that.