maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   App or hack for easier call answering? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83533)

sicofante 2012-04-09 06:42

App or hack for easier call answering?

I find the method for answering a call cumbersome.

I don't quite understand what's swipe doing here. Why is it needed at all? Why doesn't the phone show the green and red buttons to accept or reject a call and that's it?

Anyway, is there an app out there to make it easier and faster to answer calls? Can it be made or is this "forbidden territory" needing some sort of deeper tweaking on the phone's firmware?

Thanks.

isfr21 2012-04-09 07:39

Re: App or hack for easier call answering?

If anything it should be what I had suggested previously as an enhancement request (which you can vote for by clicking link in my signature).

Swipe up to answer (bottom of screen-green bar bouncing upward saying "Swipe up to answer")
Swipe down to reject (red bar top of screen bouncing downward saying "Swipe down to reject")

lifeintheblitz 2012-04-09 07:57

The swipe is required it was meant to prevent accidental touches to the screen while your phone is in your pocket. I've experimented with my phone in the pocket, without the screen active and tried walking. The cloth that makes up the pocket is not thick enough to prevent the screen from recognizing the "touches" your thigh (sounds silly, but true) makes when it comes into contact with your pocket and your phone. In short, when you walk, or probably do anything that involves you moving your legs, the N9's screen will be very very prone to accidental touches, even in your pocket. Go ahead. Try it. See if it doesn't magically bring up your Feed app, or Twitter app, or Facebook app.

Wow. I get that we all have different opinions, and nothing is perfect, but if swiping the screen before answering a call is already classified as cumbersome, then I'll do this: *facepalm*

sicofante 2012-04-09 08:09

I'm using an E52 at the moment. I have it configured so that any key answers the phone. Why? Two use cases to illustrate:

I'm at home and the phone is not in my pocket, but on the table. I'm not near the table. I'm even on another room. The phone rings and I run to the room where it is, reach the table and just before picking up the phone I just push the keyboard, any key. When the phone gets to my ear, the call is connected and the caller ready to listen. Previously I had to pick up the phone and look for the green key. Time enough to miss calls (and you bet they were missed).

I'm in the car, the phone rings: I can't look closely at the phone looking for the green key. I just push the keyboard, any key, and the call is answered. Previously, I might push the wrong key easily (sure, the E52 has crammed a lot of keys on its keyboard).

Facepalm all what you want, but put an N9 in those scenarios and you'll see answering calls would be even slower than the regular mode on an E52.

sicofante 2012-04-09 08:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by isfr21 (Post 1189960)
If anything it should be what I had suggested previously as an enhancement request (which you can vote for by clicking link in my signature).

Swipe up to answer (bottom of screen-green bar bouncing upward saying "Swipe up to answer")
Swipe down to reject (red bar top of screen bouncing downward saying "Swipe down to reject")

Your proposal seems sensible to me. I just voted and commented. Not very confident someone will read the closed bugzilla though... :-(

There's a comment suggesting just putting the phone close to your ear to answer the call. That's clever, but maybe the proximity sensor won't be able to tell my cheek from my leg (when the phone is in the pocket)?

I'd still love to know if this could be re-programmed by an independent developer or is it beyond that? Any other forum to ask developers about this?

smcsa 2012-04-09 08:33

And, FYI, you can swipe also on the other 3 directions: from left / right / up

smcsa 2012-04-09 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicofante (Post 1189969)
(when the phone is in the pocket)?

Yes, this is a workaround: when call is coming, the proximity sensor say if the phone act regular (need swipe) or just put the answer screen.

F2thaK 2012-04-09 10:34

I think something needs to be done, but obviously make it configurable.

MINKIN2 2012-04-09 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeintheblitz (Post 1189962)
The swipe is required it was meant to prevent accidental touches to the screen while your phone is in your pocket. I've experimented with my phone in the pocket, without the screen active and tried walking. The cloth that makes up the pocket is not thick enough to prevent the screen from recognizing the "touches" your thigh (sounds silly, but true) makes when it comes into contact with your pocket and your phone. In short, when you walk, or probably do anything that involves you moving your legs, the N9's screen will be very very prone to accidental touches, even in your pocket. Go ahead. Try it. See if it doesn't magically bring up your Feed app, or Twitter app, or Facebook app.

I see what the op is asking for here, it would be no different to the n900s incoming call screen no? We don't really have any issues with unwanted screen presses in the pocket as the proximity sensor would not allow the screen to become active preventing any actions occurring.

So I would have to ask if there was something in the call screen code that is overriding the proximity sensor to wake the screen upon an incoming call?

sicofante 2012-04-09 14:32

We definitely need some devs in this thread. :-)