maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] Mieru: a flexible manga and comic book reader (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=73907)

MartinK 2011-06-10 19:25

[Announce] Mieru: a flexible manga and comic book reader

It is my pleasure to introduce Mieru - a flexible manga and comic book reader.
Mieru (見える) is a japanese word that can be translated as to be seen, to look or to appear.

Availability

Maemo 5 Fremantle (N900)
Mieru is available from Extras-Devel and I'll push it to Testing as as all the usual post-release bugs are fixed.

MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan (N9/50)

Ovi store

Mieru is available from Ovi store:
http://m4rtink.github.com/mieru/qrcodes/ovi.png
http://store.ovi.com/content/234303

BlackBerry World
Mieru is available for BB10 from World:
http://modrana.org/images/qrcodes/mi...rld_qrcode.png
http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...tent/21903916/

(to switch to the QrCode scanning mode in the World application, swipe from the upper screen edge and in the menu that shows up, select read barcode)

Project resources
website (temporary)
forum.meego.com thread
issue tracker
source code repository

http://m4rtink.github.com/mieru/scre...s/windowed.png
Mieru can run both windowed...

http://m4rtink.github.com/mieru/scre...fullscreen.png
...and in fullscreen.

http://m4rtink.github.com/mieru/scre...s/portrait.png
Portrait & automatic GUI rotation is also supported.

I was really surprised how usable the portrait mode actually is. :)

http://m4rtink.github.com/mieru/scre.../shortcuts.png
All submenus work in portrait without a hitch.

http://m4rtink.github.com/mieru/scre...ain_apmenu.png
Mieru uses the appmenu as its main menu.

http://m4rtink.github.com/mieru/screenshots/fitting.png
Multiple page fitting modes are supported.

http://m4rtink.github.com/mieru/screenshots/paging.png
Mieru also has a powerful paging dialog.

http://m4rtink.github.com/mieru/screenshots/next.png
Mieru automatically detects the previous/next book after reaching the first/last page. Transition can be activated either by pressing the respective paging button again or by clicking the preview.

http://m4rtink.github.com/mieru/screenshots/stats.png
You can track the magnitude of your manga/comic book addiction easily with Mieru. :)

http://m4rtink.github.com/mieru/screenshots/about.png
The about info-section shows current version and contact information.

Feature overview:
  • support for all commonly used formats
    • automatic archive format detection independent from file extension
    • folders with images are also supported
  • automatic loading of previous/next chapters
  • history of last open titles
  • reopens on last open page at startup
  • touch friendly interface & keyboard shortcuts
    • build in shortcut description
  • kinetic scrolling & double-tap zoom
  • fullscreen support
  • numerous page fitting modes
  • configurable with easily accessible options

On Maemo 5:[list][*] app menu and native notifications[*] portrait and automatic rotation support[*] volume keys are used for page turning[list]

Keyboard shortcuts
Main
  • f - fullscreen
  • n - open file chooser
  • p - show paging dialog
  • c - show show options window
  • a - show info window
  • m - minimize the main window
  • k - toggle kinetic scrolling
  • q - quit
  • volume keys - turn page
Page fitting
  • o - original size
  • i - fit to width
  • u - fit to height
  • z - fit to screen
  • doubletap - temporary fit to screen
Source & Licence
On Harmattan:

current version:
V1.00-5 - Fremantle@N900
V2.2.3 - Harmattan@N9/50

Changelog
Code:

V 1.00
* initial release

FAQ
Q: How to get back from fullscreen ?
A: Press the bottom right corner or f.

How to support the Mieru project ?
Donations, patches, merge requests, feature requests, ideas, bugreports, etc. are much appreciated!

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_LG.gif

http://api.flattr.com/button/flattr-badge-large.png

bitcoin:1ETsN9q7xgwMjVtZMHFoxe65hWeghgxN17

Thanks in advance ! :)

ade 2011-06-10 19:59

Re: [Announce] Mieru: a flexible manga and comic book reader

Installed it, and it looks really great!

What formats are supported exactly?
cbr (jpeg in rar archive) worked, and epub partially in my first test (just the images).
I was not able to load pdf and chtml documents. It look likes it is targeting image based formats?

MartinK 2011-06-10 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ade (Post 1026708)
Installed it, and it looks really great!

Thanks, I'm glad to heart that ! :)

Quote:

What formats are supported exactly?

Zip, RAR, TAR + folders as "containers" and png, jpeg, bmp, gif, tiff and xpm should be supported as image formats.
Container type is detected using magic numbers, images are identified based on extension (as there might be a few hundred of them in a container, so checking their magic numbers would be too slow).
Support for more container & image formats can be added, if technically feasible.

Quote:

cbr (jpeg in rar archive) worked, and epub partially in my first test (just the images).

Well, I'm quite surprised that it did even that. :) It has probably just detected the epub as a zip container and then showed all images it could find in it.

Quote:

I was not able to load pdf and chtml documents. It look likes it is targeting image based formats?

Yep - for now. :) I'm thinking about adding support for PDF, if I can find a suitable library for it.

jakiman 2011-06-11 02:20

I get this error when trying to install...

Quote:

Setting up mieru (1.00-3) ...
postinst running
generating *.pyc files
Listing /opt/mieru ...
Listing /opt/mieru/icons ...
Compiling /opt/mieru/page.py ...
File "/opt/mieru/page.py", line 1
ki"""page.py - a manga/comix book page"""
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

dpkg: error processing mieru (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

TMavica 2011-06-11 02:51

is it possible to open .pdb document??

ejasmudar 2011-06-11 04:33

Hey thanks a lot man, will try is soon and report back.

ste-phan 2011-06-11 06:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakiman (Post 1026866)

Same here, now Mieru has shortcut but does not start.

Also can t be reinstalled (Mieru is already latest version)

Can t be romoved through FAM - entry does not show up.

zdanee 2011-06-11 07:28

Looks very promising! Maybe a transparent fullscreen button could be nice, so you don't have to open the keyboard to exit fullscreen mode. Or even better no button just touching the four corners, like top left = menu, top right = fullscreen, bottom left/right = prev/next.

ade 2011-06-11 07:52

Quote:

I can also confirm the error message. The initial release installed without problems.

MartinK 2011-06-11 07:55

@install failing
Looks like I made a typo yesterday when enabling kinetic scrolling by default. I have just uploaded a fixed version (1.00-4) so everything should be alright now. :)
In case the update won't install due to the failed installation, you might want to try this from the CLI (as root):
Code:

apt-get update
apt-get remove mieru
apt-get install mieru

Quote:

Originally Posted by zdanee (Post 1026938)
Looks very promising! Maybe a transparent fullscreen button could be nice, so you don't have to open the keyboard to exit fullscreen mode. Or even better no button just touching the four corners, like top left = menu, top right = fullscreen, bottom left/right = prev/next.

There is a transparent fullscreen button in the bottom right corner (per Maemo convention). :)
BTW, so that fullscreen is not toggled by accident, you have to press it twice - first to show up and then to activate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMavica (Post 1026869)
is it possible to open .pdb document??

Aren't PDBs just compressed text files?

ivgalvez 2011-06-11 09:04

I have installed and executed it without any problem. Thank you for this application, it's a great first release. I hope it could, eventually, substitute my ageing cbrPager.

The application looks nice and I haven't found any problem with the comics I had in my device (cbz and cbr).

Navigation is a bit slow, could you implement a preload of next page and cache for latest seen page? That way, page flipping could be faster.

Fitting options and OSD button for changing from window to full screen are great.

Auto rotation is nice, though a bit slow.

Could you implement any other ways for page flipping? Slide gesture, or tap on the edge of the screen, for example. If so, the volume up/down buttons could be freed to be used with a media player.

And my final feature ask, swipe gesture for zoom in/out. With the tiny screen of the N900, easy zooming is a must (it could also be mapped to the rocker buttons, as an option).

Thanks for your work.

figaro 2011-06-11 17:34

nice apps. however, there are 2 features i found missing from this apps

i don't feel like abusing my volume key each time i navigate between pages (keyboard is not an option either). could you add an option to enable swap to change page just like the built-in image viewer?
though this also has some issue (for example, you wish to pan the image and end up switching to other images), but i still prefer this. or if you could come up with better idea, that'd be great

edit. oops, didn't see my above post suggesting the same idea. meaning that not only me thinking of this idea :p

second one is, i hope you can also add a library feature. it can be manually added by user, or even better if user can put their files into a dedicated directory and mieru can list the content of the directory and automatically list it into its library
also it should support categorizing files depends on the directory level, ie.
<path>/XX : then XX is assumed as the series title
<path>/XX/YY : XX is the series title, and YY is the volume
<path>/XX/YY/ZZ : ditto with ZZ as chapter

and instead of stopping at the last file, it should be able to navigate between volume/chapter seamlessly (as user option), for example
XX/vol 1/last.jpg -> XX/vol 2/ch 1/01.jpg -> XX/vol 2/ch 1/last.jpg -> XX/vol 2/ch end/01.jpg -> XX/vol 2/ch end/last.jpg -> XX/vol 3/01.jpg

anyway, thanks for the great apps

Kabouik 2011-06-12 02:06

Quote:

I got this error too when installing it with FAM. The shortcut appeared but did not launch Mieru. Running "apt-get install -f mieru" in X-Term solved the problem.

This apps sounds very cool, cbrPager anc Comix were missing a few features (like volume buttons to change pages, great idea) and this one is much more minimalistic, but very efficient. I think it will become my prefered one.

I second the idea of a "preload next page" function to improve navigation.

Thanks!

Addison 2011-06-12 02:41

I would love to see this for Maemo 4 but it looks as there are so many features that it would be a real pain to recompile it.

But still, I thought to at least beg. :)

mr id 2011-06-15 06:55

Hi all,

this morning i got the following errors trying to run mieru. Ran great at the weekend, so i wonder if it's a problem reloading the last used file.

Code:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "mieru.py", line 347, in <module>
    mieru = Mieru()
  File "mieru.py", line 76, in __init__
    self.platform = maemo5.Maemo5(self)
  File "/opt/mieru/maemo5.py", line 24, in __init__
    self.rotationObject = self._startAutorotation()
  File "/opt/mieru/maemo5.py", line 412, in _startAutorotation
    rotationMode = self.mieru.get('rotationMode', self._getDefaultRotationMode()) # get last used mode
  File "mieru.py", line 296, in get
    return self.d.get(key, default)
AttributeError: 'bool' object has no attribute 'get'

anyone know where the last viewed path is stored so i can clear the setting and try?

Cheers

EDIT: Seems home has got itself mounted read-only, so it's most likely this is the cause. Will update once I can resolve and test again.

EDIT 2: read-only issue resolved but same error exists launching mieru - also raised on github bugtracker.

lonk 2011-06-15 18:19

Great app! it is now my main program for comic/manga reading (the stats shows 700+ pages read so far :D )

Thanks a lot for the read images from folders option, a few of my comics I get are like that so it was a pain with the other apps to have to compress them just to have them load!

And it's really fast (tested with a zip file that had 2000 strip comics and loaded almost instantly) and I like it's simplicity.

Here are my requests

-manga reading mode (so a page starts from the top right instead of top left, this is a manga app after all :D)
-currently the background color behind a comic is white, is it possible to have it in black? it's better for the eyes imo when reading it in the night.
-personally, I am against having too many options for zooming in/out, I think the four options are enough. whenever I read comics I don't see the need to constantly adjust the size ala iphone. but that's just me

-when in "fit to width" mode, the volume buttons could be used for scrolling the page up/down. so when the scrolling reaches the bottom of the page. it opens up a new one.

ahmin92 2011-06-16 13:58

great app!! it would be great if u make a next page button on the scree=D

locolyric 2011-06-17 23:12

installing programs using fam. Installation successful,but cant find the shortcut . Am i missing something ?

MartinK 2011-06-18 19:39

Development plans
I'd like to add page caching/preload + on-screen paging buttons + manga mode and then push a version to Testing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivgalvez (Post 1026978)
Could you implement any other ways for page flipping? Slide gesture, or tap on the edge of the screen, for example. If so, the volume up/down buttons could be freed to be used with a media player.

I have made a list of possible paging methods that have crossed my mind:
  • on screen buttons
  • swipe gestures - might clash with kinetic scrolling
  • screen clicking/double-clicking
  • proximity sensor, shutter button
  • screen edge swipe - like in Microb
  • accelerometer based (probably won't work very well)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivgalvez (Post 1026978)
And my final feature ask, swipe gesture for zoom in/out. With the tiny screen of the N900, easy zooming is a must (it could also be mapped to the rocker buttons, as an option).

I don't really get this. Do you mean continuous zoom ? The swirl zoom from Microb would be nice for this, but might be quite hard to do right. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by figaro (Post 1027238)
second one is, i hope you can also add a library feature.

I remember Comix having something like this - but it was unusable on N900 due to the unadapted GUI.

A library with a touch friendly UI would be nice indeed. :)
I was also thinking about adding something like "bookmarks" for specific pages. Mieru currently remembers only one page per chapter in history. The "bookmarks" might quite nicely blend in with the library functionality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonk (Post 1029802)
-currently the background color behind a comic is white, is it possible to have it in black? it's better for the eyes imo when reading it in the night.

Well, why not - I'll add a black/white selector. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by locolyric (Post 1031191)
installing programs using fam. Installation successful,but cant find the shortcut . Am i missing something ?

No idea - note that the icon can default to a blue square right after first install due to the infamous Hildon/GTK icon loading bug. But it should display normally after a wile or after a reboot. If you are using Catorize, Mieru should be in the Graphics category.

MartinK 2011-06-19 07:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addison (Post 1027381)
I would love to see this for Maemo 4 but it looks as there are so many features that it would be a real pain to recompile it.

Well:
  • the core (loading, history, stats, fitting) should work
  • hildon widgets - some might be Fremantle only
  • Clutter (animating the page) - IMO not available in Maemo 4
So theoretically replacing Clutter with a GTK drawable + pixmap and using Maemo 4 only widgets might work.
But I have no Maemo 4 device + I already have my plate quite full. :)
If somebody want's to work on Maemo 4 support, the code is all there and I can give you pointers what exactly might need to be replaced.

zdanee 2011-06-19 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinK (Post 1031838)
Well:
  • the core (loading, history, stats, fitting) should work
  • hildon widgets - some might be Fremantle only
  • Clutter (animating the page) - IMO not available in Maemo 4
So theoretically replacing Clutter with a GTK drawable + pixmap and using Maemo 4 only widgets might work.
But I have no Maemo 4 device + I already have my plate quite full. :)
If somebody want's to work on Maemo 4 support, the code is all there and I can give you pointers what exactly might need to be replaced.

This on a 4.13" n810 would be awesome :)

yamakasi 2011-06-19 17:54

great app, now I can read my favorite manga when I am out.

violentgoomba 2011-06-20 02:35

thank you, love the app so far been reading on my n900 a lot since intalling this. not sure how you're going to implement onscreen buttons but maybe a small transparent arrow down the middle of the screen that pulls up navigation buttons once pressed? im mostly fine with using the volume button to turn pages but if there's a way to completely navigate using gestures or touch screen buttons that would be nicer

nicholes 2011-06-20 07:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinK (Post 1026823)
Thanks, I'm glad to heart that ! :)

Zip, RAR, TAR + folders as "containers" and png, jpeg, bmp, gif, tiff and xpm should be supported as image formats.
Container type is detected using magic numbers, images are identified based on extension (as there might be a few hundred of them in a container, so checking their magic numbers would be too slow).
Support for more container & image formats can be added, if technically feasible.

does that mean if i put all of my pics in an rar or zip file and this app can open them as a pdf or smething like this??

if yes i will install it today thanks! in advace

zdanee 2011-06-20 08:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholes (Post 1032480)
does that mean if i put all of my pics in an rar or zip file and this app can open them as a pdf or smething like this??

if yes i will install it today thanks! in advace

It means, you can put pictures numbered like 1..n into one zip archive, and they will be handled like a comic book starting with pic #1 and ending at #n.
Also most comic book formats are already like this (cbr, cbz), scanlations too (mostly rar and zip), so you simply put them on the N900 and enjoy.

ryusilva 2011-06-20 09:18

Great app, thank you so much! I’ve been using it for a couple of days and it works great :)
Keep the good work!

Hurrian 2011-06-20 13:42

MartinK, since I don't see a shortcut appearing, please include a mieru.desktop file in /usr/share/applications/hildon and place a copy of mieru.png in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable.

This would be mieru.desktop:
Code:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Mieru
Icon=mieru
Exec=/usr/bin/mieru
Type=Application

figaro 2011-06-21 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurrian (Post 1032726)
MartinK, since I don't see a shortcut appearing, please include a mieru.desktop file in /usr/share/applications/hildon and place a copy of mieru.png in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable.

This would be mieru.desktop:
Code:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Mieru
Icon=mieru
Exec=/usr/bin/mieru
Type=Application

huh? they're already there by default (the icons are in the 48x48 and scalable)
i installed the latest mieru and the icon just show up nicely in the menu

Hurrian 2011-06-21 11:52

Sorry, I must've not seen that.
I'll blame Catorise for this.

nicholes 2011-06-26 05:26

in my opinion > it is hard to toggle page by pressing vol. key while keyboard is open,

can you replace the key (page toggle vol key) in next ver..if yo think the same?

MartinK 2011-06-26 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholes (Post 1039210)
in my opinion > it is hard to toggle page by pressing vol. key while keyboard is open,

can you replace the key (page toggle vol key) in next ver..if yo think the same?

Yep, I have a few ideas already and I'm currently working on it. :)

Kozzi 2011-06-26 12:29

will this work on N9 ?

MartinK 2011-06-26 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kozzi (Post 1039374)
will this work on N9 ?

Well, thats the plan - I'm about done with separating the Core and GUI components of Mieru. When done, it should be possible to quite easily support the N9 with a QML based GUI and the N8x0 with a plain GTK GUI. :D

I have also already applied for the N9 devkit with the aim of porting Mieru and modRana to Hartmattan, so wish me luck. :)

Oh, and page caching is done (in GIT for now).

Addison 2011-06-27 00:05

^ You're doing this for the N8x0 as well?

Thank you, thank you! :)

Addison 2011-06-27 00:23

Hey Martin, is there any possible chance for .chm support?

I've got several of my favorite med books in this format.

piotrus 2011-07-04 04:00

Pretty please, can we have more zoom options?

If controlable zoom is not possible, something like original x2 x3 x4 and so on would be wonderful.

I like reading my ebooks/comics on the move (walking), but in some comics, particularly for the smaller font comments and such, original (the largest I can get on Mieru) is simply not enough, with the end font being just tiny.

The zoom in the basic picture viewer (the app that was pre-installed) is much better (but of course it does not remember the last read page, and jumps between pages way to easily, making it a pain).

In less important feature request, any chance Mieru could be used on a vertical axis, not horizontal? I am not sure what the proper terminology is, but Mieru only works the |___| screen, and does not rotate the 90 degrees for the rotated one.

Finally: I like scrolling with the arrow buttons, they seem to be "dead" in Mieru.

I think that coding in the first and third request would be easy, and would improve the soft functionality sky high.

I was chatting with my CS friend about it a while ago (I am a rare non CS user of Maemo), and he was suprised Mieru did not support above original zoom, too...

Sadly, now I have the choice of Mieru with insufficient zoom, or picture viewer, which takes minutes to navigate to the page I want, and then jumps around them :( In other words, for now, I've given up on N900 as a portable comic reader :(

MartinK 2011-07-08 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addison (Post 1039710)
Hey Martin, is there any possible chance for .chm support?

I've got several of my favorite med books in this format.

Are they paged + do they have images ?

I have made a quick survey and there seems to be a library and even Python bindings for reading CHM files - but seem to be quite dated & would need to be ported to Maemo & MeeGo first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by piotrus (Post 1044209)
Pretty please, can we have more zoom options?

I'm thinking how to control this, maybe:
  • a simple multiplier that would be 1x by default
  • multitouch gestures on devices where this is available
  • corkscrew zoom like in microb
  • alternate meaning for doubleclick

Also note the images might get quite blurry with zoom larger than the original size.

Quote:

In less important feature request, any chance Mieru could be used on a vertical axis, not horizontal? I am not sure what the proper terminology is, but Mieru only works the |___| screen, and does not rotate the 90 degrees for the rotated one.

Mieru should support classic portrait rotation. Check out the corresponding section in Options - you can even force landscape/portrait. :)

Quote:

Finally: I like scrolling with the arrow buttons, they seem to be "dead" in Mieru.

Good point, I'll add the arrows to the keycode list.

filios 2011-07-08 22:53

Any chance for online manga sites like mangareader, mangastream or mangafox integration? That would be awesome :)

Addison 2011-07-08 23:05

Quote:

Are they paged + do they have images ?
Hey Martin. I'm not quite sure what you're exactly asking with this question.

Anyway, this is a screenie for one of the books on my N800 using kchmviewer.
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4520/98557157.png

Khan_81 2011-07-09 01:11

Great app! Looking forward to those improvements! :)

By the way, a zoom-in to the specific location you double-tap would be a nice addition (Especially for those hard-to-read texts) and then zoom-out to the original position. In my case, I use to switch from "Fit to width" to "Original size" and viceversa but you end up scrolling up/down (it gets a bit annoying after a while).

Another option would be a magnifying glass pop-up window, as seen in others cbr readers (like comix) but in a less intrusive fashion (eg: giving you the option of adjusting the zoom level and enabling/disabling it through on-screen buttons or keys).

Cheers!

PD: Does it support bluetooth mouse?