maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Does Nokia Maps in N9 work in complete OFFLINE mode? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83572)

xokachung 2012-04-12 03:30

Does Nokia Maps in N9 work in complete OFFLINE mode?

I don't have a N9 yet and I would like to know more about the features of the phone.

I know that we can download maps using Wi-Fi and use the maps later. However, I did some search on the web and found that Nokia Maps in N9 requires data connection to work. Is this true? (if this is true, what is the point of downloading maps in advance?)

Straight to the point, can I use the full functionality (locate myself, search for destination, search for routes, etc...) of Nokia Maps in N9 without having a sim card?

Thanks very much for all of your helps!

Arie 2012-04-12 03:38

Re: Does Nokia Maps in N9 work in complete OFFLINE mode?

Quote:

Originally Posted by xokachung (Post 1191000)
I don't have a N9 yet and I would like to know more about the features of the phone.

I know that we can download maps using Wi-Fi and use the maps later. However, I did some search on the web and found that Nokia Maps in N9 requires data connection to work. Is this true? (if this is true, what is the point of downloading maps in advance?)

Straight to the point, can I use the full functionality (locate myself, search for destination, search for routes, etc...) of Nokia Maps in N9 without having a sim card?

Thanks very much for all of your helps!

I recently tested this the only thing Nokia maps needs to work is the intrnal gps and it will work, nothing else is needed.

Ynohtna 2012-04-12 04:54

yup did a road trip offline this past weekend to avoid roaming. There is a small issue with voice prompting stopping after a period of time though. Restart the drive app is the current workaround

Manatus 2012-04-12 05:11

With preloaded maps data connection is needed only if you do a search for suggested restaurants etc. nearby and if you want to use satellite maps (textures). Gps, navigation and street searches all work in offline. Just remember to position the screen on the map to your general location (city or county), as the search to database seems to be somewhat restricted to the area you are viewing for purposes of making it a bit lighter on cpu and memory.

It is still preferred not to have your cell connection completely off (only data turned off) as it seems that N9 can do fast positioning based on cell towers, which then helps to get a faster GPS fix in 5 to 30 seconds. At least this was my user experience recently on a trip so I gather that Maps' local database would contain also all cell IDs.

eaglehelang 2012-04-12 05:38

Yes, it can. I am testing it right now, locks in less than 10 sec and following where I am traveling (on bus).

smcsa 2012-04-12 05:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by xokachung (Post 1191000)
However, I did some search on the web and found that Nokia Maps in N9 requires data connection to work. Is this true? (if this is true, what is the point of downloading maps in advance?)

Depend. For routing, in some cases, it need data connection. I try to calculate route between my town and Montelupone / Italy in offline mode and Nokia Drive told me that it can not routing in offline mode.

So, for me, Nokia Drive / Maps is not a trully offline navigator.

skribzy 2012-04-12 08:19

I tested in Spain last week (i'm from the UK), Switched all data connections off and both maps and drive worked perfectly (if the maps are pre-downloaded).

On a side note, the phone really doesnt like not having a connection to the internet does it! Poor thing was desperate to connect, must have asked 20 time a day!

SamGan 2012-04-12 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by smcsa (Post 1191033)
Depend. For routing, in some cases, it need data connection. I try to calculate route between my town and Montelupone / Italy in offline mode and Nokia Drive told me that it can not routing in offline mode.

So, for me, Nokia Drive / Maps is not a trully offline navigator.

From my experience all routing is done offline. Check that you have downloaded your entire country map.

rayluc25 2012-04-13 05:50

It works great if you know the address of where you want to go, but POI search is 100x better when you have internet access. 80% of the time, Maps doesn't know what I'm searching for (I'm in the greater Los Angeles area). If I have internet connection, it pulls results from who knows where, maybe Google, and it ALWAYS finds what I'm looking for and then some (such as phone number).

smcsa 2012-04-13 06:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamGan (Post 1191111)
From my experience all routing is done offline. Check that you have downloaded your entire country map.

I downloaded (and check) all Europe maps. I supose the problem is with small / very small towns as start / end of the route. The same problem when i make the route from my town (wich is one of the bigest in my country) to my grand-parents village.