maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The $20 unlimited data plan (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=7036)

nef919 2007-06-28 00:15

Re: The $20 unlimited data plan

The party line reads data connect unlimited 59.99/mo. That being said i am using my blackberry to tether on my unlimited bb plan. This does violate my tos. I have noticed that if the transfer rates aren't very high and you are connecting through wap.cingular as opposed to isp.cingular it doesn't seem to raise any flags. Then again, they might just concede that some people will do this regardless and they seem to be in the minority and tend to be profitable customers overall, so the turn the blind eye. course I could be just babbleing.

sylver78 2007-06-28 00:19

Thanks Nef919, nice to finally get an uncomplicated answer...the numerous reps I spoke with went back and forth between the two. I know what I now need to do, once my 770 gets in my hands!

GeneralAntilles 2007-06-28 00:29

I have the $20/mo unlimited MediaMAX plan from Cingular/AT&T and I tether my N800 to my N93 for web access. So far, I haven't had any issues with the company, but we'll see. EDGE speeds are pretty slow, but bearable if you expect it. I'm going to be upgrading to a Samsung A717 handset when my contract runs out which supports HSDPA at 1.8mbps.

If anybody has any information on what the max bluetooth throughput on the N800 is and whether it'll be worthwhile to wait for the 3.6mbps handsets to start coming out later this year (I hate Razrs), let me know!

RogerS 2007-06-28 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by nef919 (Post 54377)
I believe that the main reason that the us cell carriers are behind in this area is due to an unspoken agreement between carriers in part. Also the lack of competition. Same with broadband.

Um, the one-syllable word for this is "greed."

If competition brings the price down to the $20-$25 range elsewhere, then the prices here aren't based on cost but on the ability to exploit obstacles to competition.

In one of the articles I read this week, the author compared the situation to TV or the internet -- what if you could only watch "American Idol" on an RCA TV? Or only get to Yahoo on a Sony laptop? That's the kind of situation the telecoms have arranged for themselves here.

I'm not advocating revolution and nationalization of the telecoms. Not saying Apple doesn't play the same game with iPods and iTunes. Just expressing my disgust. "Free speech" and "free markets" go hand in hand -- if you want true capitalism you have to have transparency and frictionless information.

Roger

wolf08 2007-06-28 19:05

That's interesting...

I'm using a Cingular data plan with my 6682 that I pay 20/month for. I might be grandfathered in though, as I signed up 2 years ago. I am able to tether my n800 to my 6682 to get a nice GPRS connection on my n800. It's not speedy, but it sure is usable.

Any other 6682 owners out there that think nokia only made our phones as prototypes for different nXX technologies? That's my line of thought.

airhurt 2007-06-28 19:26

I have something thats close to the $20 plan... Alltel wireless.

Alltel allows tethering and it takes away minutes vs. pay per byte. And you get unlimited access after 7pm and on the weekends.

Hmmm, not to bad.

I have just ordered 2 of the 770s from Woot.com and I plan on using it everywhere. Even as I live in the northwoods of wisconsin, my Alltel Motorola v3c Razr will work almost anywhere.

I have previously used a laptop tethered to the phone with their data (sometimes EvDO depending on the area) and will now use the BT connection for the 770.

Data plans ARE expensive, but there are some companies which do it right.

Vinh 2007-06-28 19:33

I signed up for the Sprint SERO 500 plan: 500 minutes anytime, unlimited nights/weekends 7PM-7AM, unlimited roaming, unlimited domestic long distance, unlimited mobile to mobile, unlimited data (not tetherable), and unlimited texting. $30/month... ~$37/month after taxes.
Data is on EvDO, so it's fast.

RogerS 2007-06-28 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinh (Post 54615)
I signed up for the Sprint SERO 500 plan: ... unlimited data (not tetherable),... $30/month... ~$37/month after taxes.
Data is on EvDO, so it's fast.

I can't surf on a cellphone screen.

I tried it often enough (once) to know that the frustration index of cell surfing is way beyond what my system can handle.

So I can't even consider this sort of deal. Health reasons, you see.

rgdave 2007-06-28 22:33

I use Ampd mobile (www.ampd.com), a virtual reseller of Verizon services. The data plan for the Moto Q is $29.95 a month (in addition to the voice plan), and it tethers just fine using PdaNet. Service, so far (I've been with them for 2 months) has been fine.

Vinh 2007-06-29 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerS (Post 54657)
I can't surf on a cellphone screen.

I tried it often enough (once) to know that the frustration index of cell surfing is way beyond what my system can handle.

So I can't even consider this sort of deal. Health reasons, you see.

Sorry, I kinda misunderstood the spirit of the thread... yeah, no tether means no N770 for web browsing. I use Gmail Mobile to quickly check email and Google Maps Mobile to find the next wi-fi spot so I can respond. ;)