maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Community (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Council] Council_Update-July_2011 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74790)

danramos 2011-07-23 02:26

Re: [Council] Council_Update-July_2011

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1056534)
So as it stands, what you're asking for just won't happen. So instead of asking the impossible, why don't you ask what is possible instead. And for once, ask then silence yourself for a qualified answer that's seemingly going to have to be put together for you in one simple sentence since you have yet to piece it together for yourself from this entire thread, and learn from it.

Although I agree with abill, the facts stand as gerbick states it: It won't happen--Nokia is a crappy company with the immoral but legal right to treat its employees and customers like "human capital". What I think gerbick is basically saying is: stop spinning your wheels in place doing something you can't fix, try to fix something you can. I think most of us can agree with you both on this--no need to argue as if you're not in agreement somewhere in there.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/files.poster...zrfLPiLPSBQ%3D

abill_uk 2011-07-23 02:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by danramos (Post 1056538)
Although I agree with abill, the facts stand as gerbick states it: It won't happen--Nokia is a crappy company with the immoral but legal right to treat its employees and customers like "human capital". What I think gerbick is basically saying is: stop spinning your wheels in place doing something you can't fix, try to fix something you can. I think most of us can agree with you both on this--no need to argue as if you're not in agreement somewhere in there.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/files.poster...zrfLPiLPSBQ%3D

Not arguing with gerby as i do like his posts and respect the man for his intelligent remarks throughout this forum in general.

I actually AGREE with what he is saying but still find it a totall waste of time what has happened from day one as it COULD have been different.

EDIT My point IS that IF the code IS released then what gerbick said can very well happen and onward we go with Maemo development making sure Maemo does NOT die as the "crappy" company wants.

ysss 2011-07-23 03:00

@danramos: remember my post about going to mailing list/irc/etc to talk to council members? is the reason any clearer now? ;)

@abill: Supposedly Einstein once said that Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Personally, I was hoping that this thread would be used as a brainstorming/discussion thread about the future of the community... but I'm also pretty much checking out myself from all the nonsense going on here.

Moderation please?

rotoflex 2011-07-23 04:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1056514)
So, happy talking in upcoming 493 pages of another epic thread. Hope to *not* see some of You in new one, ~A.D 2012 ;)

Visiting this topic today, I noticed that after your post is something I had never seen before: a full page of posts from people on my ignore list, & the start of another page in the same way.

The topic is of interest, but it has been buried by trolls & self-aggrandizers. This is a plain failure of moderation, a waste of the forum resource, & an obvious fatal weakness of the communtiy structure. The moderators may find the trolls amusing, but they have by not restraining them been complicit in gutting the community structure.

danramos 2011-07-23 04:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysss (Post 1056549)
@danramos: remember my post about going to mailing list/irc/etc to talk to council members? is the reason any clearer now? ;)

I'm really not sure. How relevant will these council members be if they're not participating here as well? Are these forums especially excluded from the community? Moreover, especially if they're not, perhaps is that part of the problem? Communications, that is? This was ALSO the problem with Nokia, as I recall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysss (Post 1056549)
Personally, I was hoping that this thread would be used as a brainstorming/discussion thread about the future of the community... but I'm also pretty much checking out myself from all the nonsense going on here.

Moderation please?

I'm not sure that moderation is the fix here--if anything, the problem appears to be a monopolization of the conversation by far too few people. I wish more people would participate and share some ideas on what to do. I, for one, proposed a move toward the more generalized, and far less brand or trademark specific, InternetTabletTalk where we can all talk about putting various OS's (Maemo, MeeGo, Android, NITdroid, whatever) onto various devices made by various brands. It would at least be different in its legacy (as the first real gathering place on the Internet for tablet owners), heritage (Maemo/MeeGo/burned Nokia customers/etc), slant (more open-source leaning) and community (more tight-knit, shared experiences, we would have a council--something you don't really see with most forums.. shares more in common with local computer groups than forums, but exists primarily on the Internet).

Anyway... I put that out there and that's about the best formula I can think up for a far more resilient and relevant community than the one we currently have making noises at Nokia like hungry chicks begging for the few useless volumes of vomitous disgorgment Nokia feels the mood to permit us to have to nourish ourselves, to support ourselves.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotoflex (Post 1056564)
Visiting this topic today, I noticed that after your post is something I had never seen before: a full page of posts from people on my ignore list, & the start of another page in the same way.
to quali
The topic is of interest, but it has been buried by trolls & self-aggrandizers. This is a plain failure of moderation, a waste of the forum resource, & an obvious fatal weakness of the communtiy structure. The moderators may find the trolls amusing, but they have by not restraining them been complicit in gutting the community structure.

With all due respect, I appear to be picking up some static of irony. Thus far, you didn't contribute anything to this conversation but you are proposing that your ignore list should be the sole arbiter of valuable conversation and opinion. Correct me if I'm mistaken and please feel free to elaborate on your ideas for this community without the fear of censorship and exclusion you appear to want to project upon the others who have been participating.

PS: For each time a moderator has been criticized for not being strict enough, I must counter with my gratitude for a free and open forum for conversation.

abill_uk 2011-07-23 06:46

All anyone wants is some answers to what will eventually happen with Maemo.org and as danramos rightly said far few people have came on this thread to comment, only to critise and ask for moderation and that clearly is not the answer here as no one is being abusive or flaming or trolling, merely asking and throwing idea's about.

abill_uk 2011-07-23 06:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by danramos (Post 1056570)

Anyway... I put that out there and that's about the best formula I can think up for a far more resilient and relevant community than the one we currently have making noises at Nokia like hungry chicks begging for the few useless volumes of vomitous disgorgment Nokia feels the mood to permit us to have to nourish ourselves, to support ourselves.

This is what i am trying to find out because from where i see it right now to hack the os of the N900 and help ourselves would mean problems for Maemo.org BUT what will be the case when and if Nokia no longer supports Maemo.org and it is out on its own?.

daperl 2011-07-23 07:15

Opinion:

Quote:

Originally Posted by abill_uk (Post 1056057)
i will not correct my typo because i am human

Fact:

Quote:

Should have been Posted by abill_uk
i will not correct my typos because there aren't enough bytes in the universe

ysss 2011-07-23 07:18

moderation |ˌmädəˈrā sh ən|
noun

1 the avoidance of excess or extremes, esp. in one's behavior or political opinions : he urged the police to show moderation. See note at abstinence .

• the action of making something less extreme, intense, or violent : the union's approach was based on increased dialogue and the moderation of demands.

PHRASES
in moderation within reasonable limits; not to excess : nuts can be eaten in moderation.

misterc 2011-07-23 07:48

geeeee, my very own & personal troller is back :D
this is going to get really funny
i guess now is the time to shout...

FIRE IN THE HALL!!!!!!