maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Alternatives (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Eelo OS : the Non- Googlized Android Alternative. (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100107)

endsormeans 2017-12-26 07:33

Eelo OS : the Non- Googlized Android Alternative.

https://www.techworm.net/2017/12/man...ndroid-os.html

Well ...it is a kickstarter...
BUT ...the founder of Mandriva ...is doing it ..so I believe he will come through...
which is great...

(sigh)
Still..
The choice between a Googlized Android and Un-Googlized Android ...
In my Maemoan opinion...
Is just the difference between 2 giant stinky turds...
One just happens to be less odious than the other..

sicelo 2017-12-26 11:56

Re: Eelo OS : the Non- Googlized Android Alternative.

I do not see what advantage Eelo brings over LOS. He could just contribute directly to LOS from what I see. Unless I'm missing something? :confused:

Except the centralized cloud service, that is (which someone might just as well argue is a threat to privacy).

wicket 2017-12-26 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicelo (Post 1539628)
I do not see what advantage Eelo brings over LOS. He could just contribute directly to LOS from what I see. Unless I'm missing something? :confused:

Most LineageOS users just install GApps and which normally forms part of the LineageOS installation instructions. From what I can tell, privacy is not a priority for LineageOS whereas it will be for eelo.

It looks like eelo will use microG. I've tried microG on LineageOS but its development progress has been slow and many things are still unusable without GApps.

Any OS based on Android is far from ideal but if eelo helps to accelerate the development of microG then it will be a good thing. It will also benefit Android compatibility layer projects like sfdroid and Anbox as it will reduce their reliance on proprietary Google apps and libraries.

deprecated 2017-12-26 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1539621)
Is just the difference between 2 giant stinky turds...

This exactly. The only reason people use those turds is because they've forced themselves into "needing" a particular app ecosystem. Meanwhile, there are absolutely no apps that I require outside a terminal and base utilities using Sailfish X as my daily driver. I'd prefer a real Linux to a haphazardly cobbled together nightmare, any day of the week.

lancewex 2017-12-26 23:49

Choices are good in my book.

m4r0v3r 2017-12-27 08:30

isn't it just AOSP?

pichlo 2017-12-27 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1539640)
Most LineageOS users just install GApps

That is hardly surprising. Android pretty much equals GApps. Or, put another way, Android without GApps is so crippled that you do not need Android. You may as well use Sailfish or similar.

t-b 2017-12-27 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1539656)
That is hardly surprising. Android pretty much equals GApps. Or, put another way, Android without GApps is so crippled that you do not need Android. You may as well use Sailfish or similar.

I am using LineageOs 4.1 without gapps on my Droid 4. Not my main phone, only use it for Whatsapp with a pre-paid sim card.

With f-droid there are plenty gapps alternatives (eg. OsmAnd instead of google maps). Whatsapp can be installed with an APK without the need to install google play.
Pretty pleased with it and I don't miss gapps at all.

marmistrz 2017-12-27 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1539656)

not an Android fan, but...

Is there any OMEMO-compatible XMPP client on Sailfish? On Android you have Conversations.
What about GPG encrypted e-mail on SFOS? You have K-9 mail on Android.
Proper OSM vector map as OsmAnd?

Me, a miserable Android user, but no GApps on my phone ever, no whatsapp or other walled garden IM either.

Malakai 2017-12-27 20:51

Like @t-b I'm using a LineageOS device lately but not as my main phone (I still use my N900 for basic stuff as phone calls, sms, e-mail, ssh client and also gps sometimes - thanks modrana).
But when it comes to heavy websites and youtube videos (as an example), the N900 becomes quite unuseful, so I use the LineageOS device (but without GApps).

Quote:

Originally Posted by t-b (Post 1539667)
OsmAnd

Yeah that one is quite good, I really like it :)