maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Two extensive previews of N900 prototype (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32182)

PetriS 2009-09-29 07:32

Two extensive previews of N900 prototype

Two extensive hands-on previews on N900 proto devices! Overall very positive, but let's wait for the release for answers. :)

Lot's of photos, with nice comparison to E90 and other phones and interesting trivia about the history of Hildon
http://my-symbian.com/other/preview_n900.php
Huge amount of work, thank you so much Michal!

Eldar's properly translated preview (original discussed in this thread), no translated conclusion as of yet (29.9.)
http://www.mobile-review.com/review/...aemo5-en.shtml
Thank you Eldar! (But next time do mention it being a preview of a proto device.:) )

ps. As an example, Michal states a major issue being "storage memory for installable applications limited to ridiculous 256 MB, all the remaining gigabytes available for documents and data files only" whereas Eldar says "The N900 has 2Gb reserved for user applications (as opposed to 90Mb in earlier firmware versions)." So these are prototype devices and there are a lot of details not to be worried about too much at this point without contrary evidence.

spinnukur 2009-09-29 08:00

Re: Two extensive previews of N900 prototype

It's really disturbing if Nokia keeps installed applications to a max of 256mb

Stskeeps 2009-09-29 08:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinnukur (Post 335858)
It's really disturbing if Nokia keeps installed applications to a max of 256mb

Check out the /opt discussions. This isn't -that- big a problem.

debernardis 2009-09-29 08:26

Great review from Michal (as always) :-)

javispedro 2009-09-29 08:37

The My-Symbian review is great! (Save for the few tech details he gets wrong).

I am now in "want-device" mode. :D

quingu 2009-09-29 09:35

Quoth the Jerz:

Quote:

Lauch X Terminal, enable root access, and do whatever you want, just like on a Linux desktop. Possibilities include, but are not limited to, enabling USB host mode
stooooop teeeasing uuuuus!

bheetebrij 2009-09-29 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetriS (Post 335853)
ps. As an example, Michal states a major issue being "storage memory for installable applications limited to ridiculous 256 MB, all the remaining gigabytes available for documents and data files only" whereas Eldar says "The N900 has 2Gb reserved for user applications (as opposed to 90Mb in earlier firmware versions)." So these are prototype devices and there are a lot of details not to be worried about too much at this point without contrary evidence.

In a video with Jussi and others, they addressed this issue... you can find the video and a text summary here

In short they mention the following:
"44:50 Gerry: Internal memory is only 65MB of free. [That’s something the community has noticed as well, Nokia have responded to. There’s a thread on the mailing list where the lower level architecture design guys like myself who are professional software engineers as their day job, are collaborating with Nokia in a very open way to find a solution to this. There is going to be a solution, along the lines of installing to mem card as N800 but out of the box. We’re just discussing where the work happens. Is it with community packaging applications or do we try with Nokia and get a solution that will make community’s life easier….in terms for end user experience, there will be at least 1GB."

bheetebrij 2009-09-29 10:06

What worries me as well is the fact that he says the screen is very sensitive to scratches...

Jerz:
"The only thing that worries me when it comes to N900 display is its resistence to scratches and other damages. And it seems to be quite poor. I got the device without any protective case and the display got some awful scratches in just one day, and that's only because some sand grains got into the pocket I kept it in. So a good screen protector or soft carrying case seem to be a must. OK, now..."

What brand screen protectors work well while not affecting screen clarity and sensitivity? I am complete newby in this...

benny1967 2009-09-29 10:17

Quote:

The only thing that worries me when it comes to N900 display is its resistence to scratches and other damages. And it seems to be quite poor. I got the device without any protective case and the display got some awful scratches in just one day, and that's only because some sand grains got into the pocket I kept it in. So a good screen protector or soft carrying case seem to be a must.
:(

very bad.

Kozzi 2009-09-29 10:17

from the first link:
Quote:

What's not:
-Nokia, PLEASE, add voice dialing!
What does this even mean ? I though N900 support normal calls and also voip.