maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   News (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Flash you can watch (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=4756)

RogerS 2007-02-15 19:47

Flash you can watch

Quote:

Between a late-afternoon interview and schmooze time at the Nokia-Pop Sci party, I had a chance to talk with Ari Jaaksi for more than 90 minutes on Tuesday. Best moment: when he discussed the work the internet tablet team has done on optimizing the software stack and improving (among other things) video playback. He doesn't claim to have achieved the ultimate Flash viewing experience, but said that now YouTube video wouldn't be like watching a slideshow.

And then he proved it by going to YouTube and playing videos there. I made him play one video I've watched a lot ("Learn to Speak Body Tape 5" by Mitchell Rose) so I'd have a sense of how well it was playing. It was fine. In fact, because that tape has actors in static poses at times, Ari apologized for some hitches that didn't actually occur.

The "short term" in his internet tablet road map is described as "a few weeks" and he used the same time frame in our discussion. Still talking Flash 7 and nothing beyond what the blog says, but I'll say from my firsthand experience that the improvement coming is major.

Best of all is how Ari expresses the benchmark evaluating the browsing and Flash experience for the Nokia tablets -- "what you experience on your PC." To equal and (in some cases, like WiFi connectivity) exceed that.

So whatever we get come March isn't going to be the end.
Read the full article.

schmots 2007-02-15 20:46

Re: Flash you can watch

While its sad for those with the 770 that the development isn't still progressing.. the progress on the n800 is exciting. Hopefully (especially since its opensource now) the nokia dev team is working on a javavm plugin for the browser and full ajax support. That alone would boost the device up even higher the food chain

sungrove 2007-03-06 17:35

Hmm, when I try to view video on youtube the videos don't even start or show any kind of picture on my n800. Could someone please help me with what I'm missing? Is there some program or flash device I need to add to my n800?
Thanks in advance,
Neil

TA-t3 2007-03-06 17:56

Videos on Youtube should work, they've always worked for me. But the frame rate is very poor indeed.

The flash support is standard with the opera browser, you shouldn't need to do anything in particular. But you could check that you haven't accidentally switched it off: In the browser menu, select Tools and Plugin-modules, check that both plugins are activated.

Also check that your network connection isn't going through a transparent proxy that strips off flash (just trying to cover all the possibilities here..)

sungrove 2007-03-07 05:55

Hey thanks, you were right! I followed your advise and found that flash was simply disabled. My n800 just came set that way.

Neil
Seattle

digitalanalogue 2007-03-26 08:17

Roger,

Do you think the version of flash that you saw running back in february was the same as what we all now have with the 10-7 fw?

Frankly I was expecting a lot more, I certainly wouldn't describe youtube as watchable.

I guess I'm hoping that Nokia have more improvements ready to roll out in the near future for the flash player.

bakerbaker 2007-04-17 15:33

hi im new....but i thought ajax based websites can be viewed and used by the n800? no?

Quote:

Originally Posted by schmots (Post 34976)
While its sad for those with the 770 that the development isn't still progressing.. the progress on the n800 is exciting. Hopefully (especially since its opensource now) the nokia dev team is working on a javavm plugin for the browser and full ajax support. That alone would boost the device up even higher the food chain

TA-t3 2007-04-17 15:39

ajax works (example: goggle mail), but not all ajax-based websites work (example: google docs). This is probably more of a general browser compatibility issue more than ajax I guess, or maybe it's indeed about incomplete ajax support.