maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N800 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Does your N800 have a touchscreen issue? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=5320)

bossyboots 2007-03-16 17:50

Does your N800 have a touchscreen issue?

Hello

I'm looking to buy a N800, but put off by reports in this thread.

Does your N800 have touchscreen problems with sensitivity?

I did ask Nokia shop, is the N800 a good buy, they redirected me to Nokia care and they just said visit our website!

thank you
Kirsty

Adam_n800 2007-03-16 18:20

Re: Does your N800 have a touchscreen issue?

The old firmware had issues with lagging on unresponsiveness but you can go to Nokia's website and download an application which will update your n800 solving the touchscreen problem.

Having said this, I know someone who works in Home Automation and he told me if devices like tablets with touchscreens have issues with buttons not being responsive this may be caused by screen damage. What happens is that some people use the stylus more than the finger tip which results in faster wear of the screen. So the people who are complaining that their screen has problems it could be because they use the stylus too much and put too much pressure on the gel type film which damages the cells of the screen. It's kind of similar to a computer keyboard fialiar, some people press the keys too hard and damage the thin film layer inside which contains all the data.

I've had the n800 for about 2 and a half weeks now and I have no problems. Another note: if you are a new comer to the n800 and what to dabble with installing apps on the device dont just delve right in because others are doing the same. If you do purchase the n800 in my opinion you should only install proper full released and tested softwares not beta 3rd party ones, this could potentially leave your device as a miere paper weight.

But I wouldnt let this issue put you off, the only issue I have with the n800 is not finding a free wifi hotspot in London, most of the ones I come across outside you have to be a monthly subscriber not like the ones on the train where you pay for by half hour, 1 hr slots.

markku 2007-03-16 18:30

Hi. Yes, I have pressure dead zone on right side of touchscreen. It's slowly getting worse but I'm not going to send it yet to repair because I need it at work everyday. Besides it's not clear how long it will take to repair and I'm waiting the new software update to see if flashing will correct it. My N800 have software version which is not possible to get downloaded and flashed so I'll have to wait to get the newer update. N800 is really good but it will be better in future. Maybe it's better to wait a little while...

Markku

tabletfan 2007-03-16 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam_n800 (Post 39486)
The old firmware had issues with lagging on unresponsiveness but you can go to Nokia's website and download an application which will update your n800 solving the touchscreen problem.

I went to the Nokia support site, but can't find the app to solve the touchscreen problem. Can you provide a link to the touchscreen fix? TIA

geneven 2007-03-16 19:19

As I understood the comment about the touchscreen "fix", he was saying that flashing to the latest version of the software would fix it. I think that most recent purchasers have the most recent version already Perhaps there is a future improvement coming -
- I don't have a touchscreen problem that I know of anyway.

markku 2007-03-16 20:04

The touchscreen works over-all well but it's the right side that's getting worse and that's the area where is browser up/down slider. There's no scratch on screen yet so it's durable, 770 screen got two nasty scratch on it and those came easy, too easy. Sometimes the N800 screen is working better sometimes not. That's why I think it's depended on software, again I might be truly wrong about that. Anyway , it's something that will be fixed and maybe I'll have to take it to service finally . We'll see.

cryos 2007-03-16 20:14

Hi all! :)
I bought my N800 today and until now no dead zones (!!). Nonetheless, the vertical scroll is evidently less sensitive than the orizontal, so I voted Yes to this poll. I hope things won't get worse :/

Milhouse 2007-03-16 21:35

I can only vote once, but I've got two N800s both of which have poor pressure sensitivity (both on the right, and the second in the middle also). The first has gone back to Nokia (two days ago) and if it comes back with a perfectly functioning touchscreen (as it should have been from day #1) I'll send in the second for the same repair (this N800 also has a dodgey webcam and the retainer for the internal memory card is loose and doesn't click into place - great quality control there, Nokia!) ;)

The thing about this problem is that I bet a lot of people don't realise they have it - which is fine - but once you notice you have it, it really p!sses you off! :)

Adam_n800 2007-03-16 21:57

hmm alot of people seem to be saying the same thing, that there is a problem in the right corner so this could be down to its hardware. You'll just have to wait for a fix dedicated to this issue.

Bossyboots if you dont have OS 2007 edition v. 2.2006.51-6 then go this link to download the application which will update you to the latest one, which if just a firmware issue should resolve it.

http://europe.nokia.com/A4305010

bossyboots 2007-03-20 18:32

40% with the problem! Quite high, maybe, I hope, skewed by only those with the problem reading the thread. Though at least shows 60% don't have the issue at all, so chances are I should be ok.