maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Nokia Developing "Revolutionary" Phone to Shame iPhone (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83195)

m4r0v3r 2012-03-22 20:03

Nokia Developing "Revolutionary" Phone to Shame iPhone

Quote:

While speaking with Finnish newspaper Kauppalehti, Nokia's SVP of Design and User Experience Marko Ahtisaari revealed that the company is working on a revolutionary new phone that should make existing handsets -- including Apple's iPhone -- look like those bulky "brickphones" carried around in the late 1980s.

Ahtisaari boldly described two current smartphone patterns, the first of which is Apple's iOS which features a user interface that is "convoluted" and "poorly designed," adding that "the road from the kitchen into the dining room is always through the front door." He then went on to describe the second pattern which consists of Symbian and Android, calling them "dollhouses," as they feature "furniture" that users can pick up and rearrange.

This isn't the first time he has publicly split the smartphone market into two separate patterns. As seen here, he began talking about a new third design at LeWeb back in December 2010, calling for a new pattern to move the evolution of the smartphone forward. Windows Phone 7 seemingly breaks into new territory, and his current talk of a revolutionary new device just might include Windows Phone 8 and use the front-facing camera for motion controls.

Adding more speculation to the new device, Nokia last week filed a patent for a haptic communication system featuring tattoos that will vibrate when the users receives a phone call. The tattoo would use ferromagnetic ink "capable of detecting a magnetic field and transferring a perceivable stimulus to the skin, wherein the perceivable stimulus relates to the magnetic field." The ink wouldn't have to be applied directly to the skin, but on wearable material that has direct contact to the user's skin. Signals could also be customized to alert the user to other notifications like text messages, emails and more, using different pulses.

"If you look at people using touchscreen devices today, they’ve got their heads down," he said during LeWeb 2010. "The devices are immersive and require full attention. You’ll see couples in coffee shops who’ve been together 10-15 years both sat with their heads down, operating their devices. We need to give people their head up again."

Naturally the Nokia executive wouldn't go into details about his revolutionary solution, but did say it would feature breakthrough technology that revolutionizes the user experience. Owners won't have to bend down or even touch the device's screen in order to use it, leading to speculation that some kind of motion sensing technology will be involved, or voice-driven controls like Apple's virtual assistant Siri.

Nokia recently made a splash in the news media with the launch of its eye-catching Lumia 710 and 800 handsets sporting the blocky Windows Phone 7 OS. Nokia's next release, the 4G LTE-laced Nokia Lumia 900, is slated to hit AT&T's network sometime around the end of April for just $99.99 USD (and a two-year commitment). The upcoming gadget will sport a 4.3-inch 800 x 400 AMOLED touchscreen housed in a gorgeous polycarbonate unibody. Other features include a 1.3MP front-facing camera, an 8MP rear-facing camera, a 1.4 GHz single-core SoC, 512 MB of RAM, 16 GB of internal storage and more.
So anybody think this is what's been up there sleeve?

bandora 2012-03-22 20:08

Re: Nokia Developing "Revolutionary" Phone to Shame iPhone

Honestly I don't believe Nokia anymore.. I will just have to wait and see.

vi_ 2012-03-22 20:17

I imagine it will be another convoluted disappoint fail.

Aranel 2012-03-22 20:20

To save everyone from wasting time, here's the only interesting part:
Quote:

"If you look at people using touchscreen devices today, they’ve got their heads down," he said during LeWeb 2010. "The devices are immersive and require full attention. You’ll see couples in coffee shops who’ve been together 10-15 years both sat with their heads down, operating their devices. We need to give people their head up again."
If it's not marketing talk or some sort of Siri knock-off, that sounds like an innovation and it may turn out to be something really interesting. To me, rest of this article about "revolutionary windows phone" hardly takes my attention and nothing new to see there.

patlak 2012-03-22 20:21

Revolutionary phone with a poorly selling OS, GOOD LUCK! They pay him serious money to advertise WP after his last effort, N9.

UCOMM 2012-03-22 20:22

they'll do it, but they won't see the real potential in it, it'll languish for a few years, and someone down the road will do it better

that is the pattern isnt it?

bocephus 2012-03-22 20:23

A premature April Fool's joke? I've lost all faith in Nokia as of late, what with their abandonment of Maemo/Meego and their hiring of Elop and all, so I won't believe anything until I see it. Besides, I wouldn't buy anything that ran Windows anyway, doesn't matter how "revolutionary".

A truly revolutionary thing would of course be a completely open, completely OSS N900-successor with killer hardware, updated Maemo GUI, and a team of 100 Nokia monkeys working overtime to support it for the next several years. But I hardly think that is what they have in mind...

Android_808 2012-03-22 20:25

If it has Windows, I don't want to know. The new version will let you run 8 apps in the background rather than 5......oooh wow! My N900 will run more than that.

I would rather have the N9 UI on top of a new, simple open platform that made use of open source drivers (especially graphics chip).

stlpaul 2012-03-22 20:25

Great move, talk about the revolutionary phone just before releasing your new non-revolutionary phone so nobody will want it and prefer to wait for the good one instead. :P

Android_808 2012-03-22 20:30

Maybe he's anti MS stlpaul. Maybe it's a grand master plan from within Nokia to bring down the current regime