maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Twisted frame & cracking distortion (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=388)

wiza 2005-11-12 23:17

Twisted frame & cracking distortion

My 770's frame seems to be a little twisted making it rock annoyingly when I tap it with the stylus on a table. Also the speaker’s sound has a cracking distortion in it. The 3,5 output is ok. Other then those two things, the machine is great.

Anyone else having these problems?

gareth 2005-11-13 02:12

Yes, mine rocks when placed on a flat surface, it was the first thing I noticed. At the time I quickly looked at the bottom and assumed it was because there were three "feet" on it (only one in the middle at the bottom), but trying it just now I see it only rocks in one direction (top right / bottom left) so it must be something oddly sized inside causing the casing to be deformed when it was screwed down.

I guess a solution would be to put small pieces of tape over the feet to pad them out, but it might foul against the slide if a few pieces are needed. I have only used on a flat surface a couple of times so it probably won't be much of a problem, just a niggle really.

Gareth

gristle 2005-11-13 02:29

I just noticed a crack in the connector part on the bottom. It runs from the mini usb to the audio jack. I thought it was a weld line at first. I dont think it will be a problem but if anyone else has this then post a message.

dsmudger 2005-11-13 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by gristle
I just noticed a crack in the connector part on the bottom. It runs from the mini usb to the audio jack. I thought it was a weld line at first. I dont think it will be a problem but if anyone else has this then post a message.

For what it's worth - mine definitely doesn't have any crack weld line or marks there... One off I guess... :confused:

gristle 2005-11-14 00:05

Oh well i dont think it is worth worrying about but i better be careful when the usb is plugged in. Dont want it to spread. Funny thing is most of the plastic parts are glass filled for strength so i have no idea how this happened.

BenTheDog 2006-01-08 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by gristle

I got that exact same crack - from mini usb to audio jack. Happened after about a week. No sure what caused it. Like U say its fairly insignificant, annoying though.

gristle 2006-01-08 19:47

Yeah it is annoying. I had not used either jack around the time the crack appeared. Its been there for 7 weeks now and has not changed at least.

My unit has the diagonal distortional as well, rocking bottom left to top right.

daveb70 2006-01-08 22:10

Thank you for pointing out this occurrence and possibility. I for one do not have any cracks that I can see. ~knock on wood~

gristle's comment on the glass-filled parts immediately brought me back to circa 1987-88 when I bought my Kyosho Optima 1/10 scale R/C car. It was the/one of the first to use glass-filled nylon in it's suspension arms. I had completely forgotten this material and even the possibility that it could be used in the housing for the 770. The smooth but seemingly textured material is likely the same which was used for the high-strength/stress R/C car parts.

I don't recall ever breaking any parts on that car made of that material despite it being a 4wd and offroad vehicle.

Nonetheless, I will be extra cautious when plugging in items to my 770. I don't see much likelihood in having anything plugged in simultaneously for my needs at this time, so that will decrease the possibility of generating stress.

I wonder if your devices were subject to mishandling before delivery, even if not cracked upon arrival, but stressed to nearly the point of cracking. Or even exposed for a longer period to cold temps which made the casing more brittle. Maybe next time they'll use something like carbon fiber?

Thanks again, and I'm sorry it had to happen to any of us.

alexgonzalez 2006-01-30 13:23

I have the same crack, has anyone sent the machine in for service.

Invicta 2006-01-30 15:45

I have the same crack. I would send it to Nokia, but with my luck they would only replace it with one that has faulty pixels or something.

Edit: My unit is made in Germany