maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Alternatives (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   [Devuan] Devuan on N900, by Enrico_Menotti - a HowTo (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99364)

joerg_rw 2017-05-06 15:07

[Devuan] Devuan on N900, by Enrico_Menotti - a HowTo

Enrico_Menotti started documenting how to run Parazyd's Devuan image on N900, see http://wiki.maemo.org/Devuan_on_N900

cheers
jOERG

Enrico Menotti 2017-05-06 16:05

Re: [Devuan] Devuan on N900, by Enrico_Menotti - a HowTo

First issue ready. Thanks for reading!

wicket 2017-05-06 16:36

This doesn't use Parazyd's Devuan image, this bootstraps a Devuan system from scratch, similar to what my DebiaN900 scripts do after changing the repository URL to Devuan's. I am planning an update to make Devuan and mainline Linux the default.

This guide seems to have a few redundant steps. Emdebian was discontinued several years ago and cross compilation is possible using standard Debian, Devuan, Ubuntu, etc. There's no need to pin systemd-sysv as it's not available in Devuan. It's probably not a good idea to pin udev. As far as I'm aware, Devuan Jessie uses udev and will do so until the vdev replacement is ready.

Enrico Menotti 2017-05-06 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1527746)
This doesn't use Parazyd's Devuan image, this bootstraps a Devuan system from scratch, similar to what my DebiaN900 scripts do after changing the repository URL to the Devuan's. I am planning an update to make Devuan and mainline Linux the default.

Right, it's not Parazyd's image.

Quote:

This guide seems to have a few redundant steps. Emdebian was discontinued several years ago and cross compilation is possible using standard Debian, Devuan, Ubuntu, etc.
Kernel cross-compilation is possible by arm-none-eabi-gcc (I did it this way). But I did not find the crypt library there, which I used for re-compiling the system V init process. I did not find other toolchains in the Devuan mirrors. It is very possible I'm not aware of simpler steps.

Quote:

There's no need to pin systemd-sysv as it's not available in Devuan.
It was already pinned in my debootstrapped image - I just left the pinning there.

Quote:

It's probably not a good idea to pin udev. As far as I'm aware, Devuan Jessie uses udev and will do so until the vdev replacement is ready.
Yes, Devuan Jessie uses udev. But in the absence of an initrd, as in my case, the loopback lo device is not mounted before udev starts net.agent, which waits for lo and hangs the boot for 30 seconds, until it times out. Also udev is not needed for hotplug on the N900, right? That's why I did it this way. Using udev would be probably cleaner, but I think needs modifications of udev itself to avoid the boot delay.

Thanks for reading and for the useful comments!

wicket 2017-05-06 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enrico Menotti (Post 1527747)
Right, it's not Parazyd's image.

Kernel cross-compilation is possible by arm-none-eabi-gcc (I did it this way). But I did not find the crypt library there, which I used for re-compiling the system V init process. I did not find other toolchains in the Devuan mirrors. It is very possible I'm not aware of simpler steps.

It was already pinned in my debootstrapped image - I just left the pinning there.

Yes, Devuan Jessie uses udev. But in the absence of an initrd, as in my case, the loopback lo device is not mounted before udev starts net.agent, which waits for lo and hangs the boot for 30 seconds, until it times out. Also udev is not needed for hotplug on the N900, right? That's why I did it this way. Using udev would be probably cleaner, but I think needs modifications of udev itself to avoid the boot delay.

Thanks for reading and for the useful comments!

It's been a while since I've done anything on my project but I hope to pick things up again soon. The last time I did anything and used Devuan was back in October so things might have changed since then. Back then I didn't run into any problems with SELinux so I didn't need to recompile SysVInit. If it was enabled, I didn't notice.

I overlooked the fact that you aren't using an initrd. Right now there's no hotplug but there has previously been talk of mainlining work for USB hostmode so it might be needed in the future. Also, I've never had to manually load modules for wifi or battery charging, I believe udev was responsible for loading these automatically.

It's great to see more people interested in this. If you haven't already seen my scripts, please do take a look. The code is commented throughout but if you have any queries about anything, please ask. I welcome contributions. As I said earlier, I've still to update them to make Devuan the default which I will be doing soon, but right now it does install Debian without systemd.