maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Nokia N9 Screen Troubles (someone help me out confirm this) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78488)

weird0 2011-10-04 01:01

Nokia N9 Screen Troubles (someone help me out confirm this)

Okay first post here, but I gotta find out wether or not I am alone on this one.

I bought a Nokia N9 last Friday (30th September) and when I bought it had a hardware related screen issue. Here is how to test whether or not you have it:

Go to a completely dark room. All dark. No light at all. Go into the camera app on Nokia N9.

If you got the issue you should see black spots on your screen where the brightness is different than the rest of the screen. I went over to the store today and got a replacement. But it also got this issue. Black spots that are clear on a grey background.

Furthermore my replacement phone had a new screen issue and somebody please test this out whether its only my phone or if its truly a hardware fault.

The second issue can be found this way:

Lower brightness below 50 %. Clear all browser cookies and private data. Go to your browser. Flip phone to land scape mode. Notice the white static flicker lines on the screen?

Don't know if I should just deal with these faults since they are minor and that the Nokia N9 is my dreamphone or if I should go request yet another replacement phone.

So anyone else got these troubles?

Oh also as a bonus question does anyone know how to turn off auto contrast/saturation/brightness? Its pissing me off :s

lma 2011-10-04 01:23

Re: Nokia N9 Screen Troubles (someone help me out confirm this)

Hm, I wonder if these could be pentile matrix artifacts?

weird0 2011-10-04 01:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by lma (Post 1102171)
Hm, I wonder if these could be pentile matrix artifacts?

I don't know for sure :s

My replacement didn't have as many black spots (only 2, each one close to the upper corners) but some weird purple line/flicker appears when scrolling on a white website (like Engadget.com)

et3rnal 2011-10-04 07:45

as far as i knew the screen in the N9 glued to the glass without leaving any gap! (and it has an curved glass) could this be the issue ? lot totally glued! not ready???

slai 2011-10-04 07:51

I have none of these issues.

benny1967 2011-10-16 11:46

Similar to weird0:

a) When scrolling (for example on a web page, but also on the events view), the letters seem to change color until it all comes to a halt again.

b) When I have black text on white background and the phone is in portrait mode, the white area to the left and right of the black text is slightly darker than the area above and below where there's no text at all throughout the screen.

I really don't know what to do. If it stays this way, I'd probably just keep it.... (Even if it's a bit odd for such an expensive device) It may even be difficult to explain to the people at the shop what exactly I find wrong with the display. My problem is that it may just be a first sign of worse things to come...

F2thaK 2011-10-16 12:21

my screen seems fine, will do tests mentioned though. I hate the auto brightness function, it seems to work randomly.

fahadj2003 2011-10-16 12:39

i think what you're talking about is called dead pixels..
google it.. if thats the case, replace the phone..

F2thaK 2011-10-16 13:09

did camera app test, my screens fine

benny1967 2011-10-17 20:16

I wonder if at least some of the issues described here and at
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4730
are not hardware faults, but driver related? I may sound desperate (which I am...), but really: I don't want to bring back my shiny new device and wait for a repair/replacement. I want to keep it and play with it.