maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   First test release of gPodder for Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=29128)

thp 2009-05-23 09:30

First test release of gPodder for Fremantle

Thanks to Ivan Frade and Bruno Araujo, who helped getting SQLite support back into PyMaemo in the last week, all dependencies for gPodder on Fremantle are now fulfilled (the rest has either been removed, because Hildon gained functionality - e.g. hildon.PannableArea instead of mokoui.FingerScroll or because the dependency is not needed at the moment). I have also put feedparser into the Fremantle repositories, based on the Ubuntu source package (because it includes more fixes than the current version in Diablo and python-support is available in Fremantle).

It still has some rough edges, but now it should at least start up. Media Player integration is probably not working (because there is no Media Player in the SDK, I don't know how to interface with it) and there are some areas where we could make more use of the new Hildon UI (hildon.StackableWindow, ...).

If some nokia-closed components would be open-sourced, we should be able to get this working on Mer, too.

To all who have Fremantle running outside the SDK: Please test and report back any problems you encounter (no package link - you should be able to get gPodder 0.15.2-2+maemotest090523 from the extras-devel repository).

qgil 2009-05-23 20:07

Re: First test release of gPodder for Fremantle

Thanks!

According to the Application Manager: unable to install. Missing python-support 0.90.0 or bigger.

thp 2009-05-26 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by qgil (Post 289465)
According to the Application Manager: unable to install. Missing python-support 0.90.0 or bigger.

Please try again. I've updated both python-feedparser and gpodder to not make use of python-support (although it's a helpful thing for packaging and even porting python-support based libraries and applications from Debian/Ubuntu).

qgil 2009-05-26 10:46

Same thing with 0.15.2-2+maemotest090524 (man, you really know how to write long version names) ;)

thp 2009-05-27 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by qgil (Post 290389)
Same thing with 0.15.2-2+maemotest090524 (man, you really know how to write long version names) ;)

Could you please send me the output of:

Code:

apt-cache show python-support
and

Code:

apt-get install gpodder
(the first one works as normal user, the second one has to be run as root) after running this command (also as root):

Code:

apt-get update
Thanks

qgil 2009-06-15 09:40

GPodder installs now in a Fremantle device!

I'll go through it in the following days.

First suggestion: what about offering a more generic collection of recommended podcasts? Now it's 100% Linux and free software.

This is something where you can get a lot of community help. What podcasts would you recommend to your friends?

qgil 2009-06-15 11:26

First bugs coming in :)

Offer possibility to add a new podcast in first boot
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4682

Unnecessary Cancel button in first boot dialog
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4683

kanishou 2009-06-15 12:42

Some quick comments on the UI as I go along (you are probably already aware of most of these):

- On the startup assistant, the two big buttons should ideally be finger- or thumb-buttons to get the proper themeing (HildonButtons with HILDON_SIZE_FINGER_HEIGHT flag).

- After pressing one of the buttons and getting the list, I cancelled the dialog by clicking outside. Now I got an empty window, and the menu doesn't open. I have to restart. Also, the title reads "gPodder - gPodder".

- "Do you really want to quit gpodder?" should be avoided if possible. It is much better to keep state between restarts if closing the window would otherwise be harmful.

In the "Find new podcasts" dialog:

- Notebooks should be avoided, of course the alternative is not obvious in this case. The most straight forward would be another view with three buttons. Perhaps this would work better with stackable windows, rather than a dialog. Or as a wizard with forward and back buttons (this would also allow to go back to the first page, which seems impossible right now).

- The entries should all be HildonEntries, and the buttons should be finger sized.

- The Top podcasts list is still using a scrolled window and not a proper Hildon style treeview.

- All treeviews should not have a header. The checkboxes should be removed in favour of using a hildon style listview in multi-selection mode.

- For the styling of the list view text items, I recommended DefaultSystemFont for the first row, and SmallSystemFont with SecondaryTextColor for the second row. No bold text. Implementing this can be tricky (and should be better documented), but it's a rough guideline.

- I'm not sure about this, but the Cancel button should probably the the lowest one.

"New episodes available" dialog:

- "New episodes available" text already appears in the dialog title, no need to repeat it (in big letters) in the dialog itself.

- "Select the episodes [..]" text may be superfluous, I would consider removing it in favour of more vertical space for the listview.

- Same comments about the list view as in "Find new podcasts" dialog.

- The "x episodes selected" text in the bottom right doesn't fit in the remaining space. The "select all" and "select none" buttons were probably meant to be moved to the right, as in the "Find new podcasts" dialog. On the other hand, that text doesn't seem very useful.

Main window:

- Treeview header should be removed.

- GtkPaned should not be used anymore, it would be better to split this up into two windows, one with a list of podcast directories and one actually listing all the podcasts (I expect people to rebel against this... but this is how the Fremantle UI should be used :)).

- No application menu? This is probably just a bug, as I can't see a way to add new podcasts now.

- The list of podcasts is lacking a highlight when pressed. Something is odd there.

- When I click on a podcast, I get an info screen with a textview that has dark text on dark background. This is probably a disabled textview? I will need to fix this, but a disabled textview is certainly not the best way to display this text. I would suggest a normal HildonTextView, with editable set to false. If you want a dark, borderless background, you can name the widget "hildon-readonly-textview". For a dark background with borders, you can name the widget "hildon-reversed-textview". Both of these probably won't work correctly in the SDK though.

- I cannot figure out how to actually play the podcast. It shows a yellow star in the list, but it's not obvious to me what this indicates.

thp 2009-06-15 15:08

Thanks for your review. Most of these have been fixed in 0.16.1-2fremantleui which is currently in the autobuilder and should be in extras-devel later today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanishou (Post 296852)
- On the startup assistant, the two big buttons should ideally be finger- or thumb-buttons to get the proper themeing (HildonButtons with HILDON_SIZE_FINGER_HEIGHT flag).

Done. Used THUMB_HEIGHT, as there are just two buttons on that window.

Quote:

- After pressing one of the buttons and getting the list, I cancelled the dialog by clicking outside. Now I got an empty window, and the menu doesn't open. I have to restart. Also, the title reads "gPodder - gPodder".

The title has been fixed. After cancelling the dialog, it pops up when selecting "Find new episodes" from the AppMenu.

Quote:

- "Do you really want to quit gpodder?" should be avoided if possible. It is much better to keep state between restarts if closing the window would otherwise be harmful.

Ok. gPodder is now asking only if there are downloads running. But even if downloads are running, they can be resumed from the current position on next startup, so it does remember state already.

Quote:

- Notebooks should be avoided, of course the alternative is not obvious in this case. The most straight forward would be another view with three buttons. Perhaps this would work better with stackable windows, rather than a dialog. Or as a wizard with forward and back buttons (this would also allow to go back to the first page, which seems impossible right now).

I am also not sure how to do this. Ideally, this dialog and the "add new podcast via URL" dialog should probably be merged, too. Suggestions an mock-ups welcome :)

Quote:

- The entries should all be HildonEntries, and the buttons should be finger sized.

- The Top podcasts list is still using a scrolled window and not a proper Hildon style treeview.

- All treeviews should not have a header. The checkboxes should be removed in favour of using a hildon style listview in multi-selection mode.

All fixed now, thanks for the detailed list :)

Quote:

- For the styling of the list view text items, I recommended DefaultSystemFont for the first row, and SmallSystemFont with SecondaryTextColor for the second row. No bold text. Implementing this can be tricky (and should be better documented), but it's a rough guideline.

I am currently using Pango Markup to create the style. If you can tell me how to use that styling in Pango markup (or point me to the docs), that'd be helpful.

Quote:

- I'm not sure about this, but the Cancel button should probably the the lowest one.

Cancel button gone, because the dialog can be closed by touching outside the dialog.

Quote:

- "New episodes available" text already appears in the dialog title, no need to repeat it (in big letters) in the dialog itself.

- "Select the episodes [..]" text may be superfluous, I would consider removing it in favour of more vertical space for the listview.

- Same comments about the list view as in "Find new podcasts" dialog.

- The "x episodes selected" text in the bottom right doesn't fit in the remaining space. The "select all" and "select none" buttons were probably meant to be moved to the right, as in the "Find new podcasts" dialog. On the other hand, that text doesn't seem very useful.

All fixed - have a look at the new dialog and tell me what you think.

Quote:

- Treeview header should be removed.

Done.

Quote:

- GtkPaned should not be used anymore, it would be better to split this up into two windows, one with a list of podcast directories and one actually listing all the podcasts (I expect people to rebel against this... but this is how the Fremantle UI should be used :)).

I'll currently leave this as-is, but maybe the suggested splitting is a good idea for later. It would make too much navigation interaction in my opinion (go through three screens to read an episode description instead of two).

Quote:

- No application menu? This is probably just a bug, as I can't see a way to add new podcasts now.

Yep, that's a bug. The AppMenu should be there already. Please send me the output of running
Code:

gpodder --maemo --verbose
in osso-xterm when trying to reproduce the bug (ideally, file a bug at bugs.maemo.org, Extras, gPodder.

Quote:

- The list of podcasts is lacking a highlight when pressed. Something is odd there.

Works for me here in the beta SDK. Please try to see if the new version has fixed this.

Quote:

- When I click on a podcast, I get an info screen with a textview that has dark text on dark background. This is probably a disabled textview? I will need to fix this, but a disabled textview is certainly not the best way to display this text. I would suggest a normal HildonTextView, with editable set to false. If you want a dark, borderless background, you can name the widget "hildon-readonly-textview". For a dark background with borders, you can name the widget "hildon-reversed-textview". Both of these probably won't work correctly in the SDK though.

Ok, the problem was that the HildonTextView initially was in a GtkScrolledWindow which was then replaced by a HildonPannableArea. I'm now using the HildonPannableArea which gives the textview a white background.

Quote:

- I cannot figure out how to actually play the podcast. It shows a yellow star in the list, but it's not obvious to me what this indicates.

The yellow star means "new". When you click on an episode, a new stackable window opens with the episode details. From that dialog, you can open the appmenu and the play button is there. Probably won't work at the moment, because there is no specification how to interact with the media player, and no media player in the SDK.

kanishou 2009-06-16 07:17

The update fails to install: gpodder.postinst: line 9: maemo-select-menu-location: not found