maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Adobe Flash Player 10: When will the update arrive? Is it coming at all? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37922)

Feathers McGraw 2016-04-26 21:25

Re: Adobe Flash Player 10: When will the update arrive? Is it coming at all?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazzie (Post 1504472)
It can sometimes be used for good: see www.homestarrunner.com for example.

Ironically, I can't see what you like about that site because I don't have flash ;)

juiceme 2016-04-27 03:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw (Post 1504475)
Ironically, I can't see what you like about that site because I don't have flash ;)

+1

(10 chars)

pichlo 2016-04-27 08:44

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw (Post 1504475)

I tried it from a Windoze machine at work with Flash installed.
It shows this:

Attachment 38330

Personally, I would not call it a "good use of Flash". It adds nothing of value and excludes the users without Flash.
My take on websites like that is, "you don't want me, I don't want you."

abranson 2016-04-27 08:54

All of the cartoons and games on that site are Flash-based. It really has nothing for you if you don't have Flash, but then it dates from a time when everyone had it.

It's really worth watching some. The earlier cartoons aren't so good, but they did some really funny material later on especially the sbemails and derived games like Trogdor and Ye Adventurer. Classic. I think the brothers that did it work on some top notch Cartoon Network stuff now.

pichlo 2016-04-27 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by abranson (Post 1504491)
All of the cartoons and games on that site are Flash-based. It really has nothing for you if you don't have Flash

A good point. I did not go beyond the splash screen. I could say that the "come on in" option misled me into thinking there was something beyond without the need for Flash but in all fairness, it did not promise anything of that sort.

t-b 2016-04-27 10:29

You don't need flash.. but what do you really need? Food, water, oxygen and the rest is optional. I use Flash mainly for watching live streaming sites on my desktop that provide soccer matches. Granted, those sites are a bit dodgy but there are no other free non-flash solutions.
I will always prefer a non-flash alternative but have no problem using it if there is stuff I like.
Anyone that has doubts about flash security can download a Puppy Linux iso - create a bootable CD or USB. Make sure it will not mount your drives and start it fully in memory. Worst thing that can happen is a reboot. (and if you are really paranoid start it in a VM)

I will not install any version on my N900 though. That just seems like looking for trouble.