maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Newbie (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Dumb ? How do reboot the n810 ? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=20241)

maillaxa 2008-05-19 23:10

Dumb ? How do reboot the n810 ?

Hi,

Is there an easy and quick way to reboot the device ? I only have seen "shutdown" but not a "reboot" entry when pressing the power on/off button ? Can I modify the popup menu ?

GeneralAntilles 2008-05-19 23:13

Re: Dumb ? How do reboot the n810 ?

/etc/systemui/systemui.xml

Uncomment the appropriate lines.

maillaxa 2008-05-19 23:15

How do you access this file exactly ? And even better, how can I save it ? :)

Benson 2008-05-19 23:20

You must be root. Install either becomeroot or easyroot.

Then
Code:

vi /etc/systemui/systemui.xml
dd deletes the current line. (You can delete the two lines with the start comment and the end comment.)
ZZ saves and exits.
:q! exits without saving.
Other vi commands are available in many online resources.

maillaxa 2008-05-19 23:23

Perfect explanation.

krisse 2008-05-20 10:21

Is there any real difference between switching off and on and rebooting?

qwerty12 2008-05-20 10:24

Saves time.

GeneralAntilles 2008-05-20 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty12 (Post 183597)
Saves time.

Yeah, it's mostly just a timesaver (well, and a potential way to avoid the power-on issues associated with pre-51-3 firmware, but that's another story—there are a few things that go on differently compared to switching off and switching on on the extremely technical side, but none of that should concern a user). Instead of the device powering off and the user having to manually turn it back on, the device just powers itself back on.

GThreepwood 2008-05-20 11:06

I never knew that I wanted this feature but it's pretty handy

grog 2008-05-20 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 183598)
Yeah, it's mostly just a timesaver (well, and a potential way to avoid the power-on issues associated with pre-51-3 firmware, but that's another story—there are a few things that go on differently compared to switching off and switching on on the extremely technical side, but none of that should concern a user). Instead of the device powering off and the user having to manually turn it back on, the device just powers itself back on.

On thing I do notice is that when using bootemu to boot off an sd card, if I reboot I get a chance to hit the menu key to select the boot target (a frustratingly short chance, I might add, but that's for another topic), but if I shutdown (which I will try to do after missing the aforementioned option), then I do not get the bootemu option at all. Since I just have a factory flash internally without becomeroot or cousins installed (a choice), I then have to remove the battery to do a 'hard' reboot so I get the bootmenu option back. I'll have to at least apply this change to the internal flash so I can make rebooting easier. tx