maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] WifiEye (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=43806)

v13 2010-02-08 20:54

[Announce] WifiEye

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the first version of a small an app that displays the signal strength of available wireless networks.

You can get it from here for now.

It is available in extras-devel: http://maemo.org/packages/view/wifieye/. Please understand that using software from extras-devel may harm your device in many ways.

It is available in extras-testing.

All comments are welcome.

EDIT: It requires python-wifi, python-qt4-core, python-qt4-gui
EDIT: This version only works when wlan interface is up (e.g. when connected to a WLAN). It will be fixed in the next version
EDIT: This version is slow to start.

gfdsa 2010-02-09 01:06

Re: [Announce] WifiEye

it also requires some python-qt4 packages with versions from extra-devel I think

v13 2010-02-09 01:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfdsa (Post 517075)
it also requires some python-qt4 packages with versions from extra-devel I think

Indeed, it needs python-qt4 but not from extras-devel.

Laughing Man 2010-02-09 01:14

Are the python-qt4 packages optified?

v13 2010-02-09 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laughing Man (Post 517085)
Are the python-qt4 packages optified?

Because of the way python is optified; all python packages become automagically optified: The directories where python libs are stored are under /opt and they are bind-mounted from there. See the output of df.

Jaffa 2010-02-09 20:37

Look forward to seeing it in a repo :-)

giannoug 2010-02-09 20:58

Έλα ρε Ελλάδαρα! :) Σμπρώχ' το στο extras-devel ;)

Good joob mate :)

*Sonic* 2010-02-09 21:02

Nice one, well done :)

BabelO 2010-02-09 21:04

Hi,
Did not work here :(

It ask for password on start, so i added application to sudoers, now i get a traceback about dt=wifi.scan() and bin/wifi.py dt=pickle.loads(c)

Fabrice,

*Sonic* 2010-02-09 21:47

Doesnt load for me

I installed it, failed on the dependencies so I did an apt-get -f install which installed pythonwifi and the wifieye

however on clickign the icon it starts to load with the little spinning disc then goes back to my main desktop screen

rooted 2010-02-09 22:01

Wow, believe it or not, such a nice site survey tool doesn't even exist on standard Linux (GUI and everything). Even on Windows there is not much choice, best of them being inSSIDer. I think you should get some ideas from their UI (AP list, signal/time graph...). You already have enough data, just add it to GUI. And make the graphs as big as possible please, you should make a better use of screen real estate. And I know this is alpha/beta stage, I'm just suggesting improvements.

Video: http://vimeo.com/3284530

*Sonic* 2010-02-09 22:08

My problem is that it says I dont have PyQT4

I use inSSIDer a lot today and would be great to have that or equivalent on the n900 :D

fred123 2010-02-09 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Sonic* (Post 518389)
Doesnt load for me

I installed it, failed on the dependencies so I did an apt-get -f install which installed pythonwifi and the wifieye

however on clickign the icon it starts to load with the little spinning disc then goes back to my main desktop screen

Same effect here only i used apt-get install python-wifi after dpkg -i.

fred123 2010-02-10 01:58

Ok i have this working.

Code:

1. enable extras-devel in app manager, disbable extras, extras-testing.
2. install "pyqt examples and documentation" from development
3. disable extras-devel in app manager, enable extras-testing
4.  sudo apt-get install python-wifi
5. disable extras-testing, enable extras
6. sudo dpkg -i wifieye_0.1.0-1_all.deb
7. sudo update-sudoers
8. edit /usr/share/applications/hildon/wifieye.desktop
    change Exec=/usr/bin/wifieye
    to        Exec=/opt/wifieye/bin/core.py

@v13
/usr/bin/wifieye is a zero byte file I guess this should have been some sort of launcher.

This is really useful, I use inssider on vista this is so much more portable!
Some colours are a little difficult to see purple/pink , and it would help if ssids kept the same colour after a refresh. Other than than very impressed.

v13 2010-02-10 19:55

Hello again :-)

Please be patient until I properly package it and add it to extras-devel.

For what you're asking:

@all: It seems that there is a problem with pyhon-qt4 in extras-testing. python-qt4-gui and python-qt4-core cannot be both installed from there. You'll need to get python-qt4-gui from extras-devel. I don't believe there is something that I can do about this.

@fred123: /usr/bin/wifieye should be a soft link to /opt/wifieye/bin/core.py. Can you check that?

@rooted: Thanks for your feedback. I'm currently trying to make it similar to Android's WifiAnalyzer which I liked. However, this is a Qt app and should also run on every linux distribution (tested already). It only needs minor fixes (like the colors and sudo path). The graph that is shown is a widget so it can be reused anywhere. I'm planning to create another one which will also be widget, thus making it possible to make a pc-friendly interface, similar to the one the video shows.

@jaffa, giannoug: Going for it :-)

@BabelO: Indeed, that was my packaging bug. Please run update-sudoers as root. It should work after that. (or wait for the next version)

v13 2010-02-10 20:02

Oh.. and one more thing: This app is somehow portrait friendly/ready, but I can't get python+qt4 portrait mode. If anyone can show me a working python+qt4+portrait example I'll add it too. Unfortunately, using standard gtk/hildon methods for portait mode (or gpodder's) make the program segfault when the QApplication is created.

fred123 2010-02-10 20:45

@v13
I've checked /usr/bin/wifieye it is symlink and having restored the .desktop entry it now works OK, not sure what changed but it was very early this morning.

v13 2010-02-12 18:51

Wifieye is now available in extras-devel. Version 0.2.1-1 should be working.

Remember that using software from extras-devel may harm your device in many ways.

Have fun :-)

Please reports bugs here or via e-mail.

*Sonic* 2010-02-12 19:31

I have it working now, many thanks for this :)

fred123 2010-02-12 20:19

I see 3.0-1 has just appeared in devel any new features?

fred123 2010-02-12 20:32

Ok I've just installed it really like the time graph, very useful for finding the best place to stand for a strong signal.

One minor complaint the colour for my router keeps changing, would be better if an ssid kept the same colour all the time it is visible.

v13 2010-02-12 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred123 (Post 523704)
I see 3.0-1 has just appeared in devel any new features?

Avoid it. Only a part of it works.

But have a look at 0.3.1-1 when it appears. It has a new feature and an eye-candy and it seems to work well :-)

As usual, be afraid of extras-devel and submit bug-reports and ideas often :-)

That One Guy 2010-02-12 20:36

Very nice app.

Thank you.

v13 2010-02-12 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred123 (Post 523734)
Ok I've just installed it really like the time graph, very useful for finding the best place to stand for a strong signal.

One minor complaint the colour for my router keeps changing, would be better if an ssid kept the same colour all the time it is visible.

Well, it is supposed to keep the same color in time-graph (if not then it is a bug). I suppose you refer to the channel-graph. In that case, I'll add this in my TODO list.

les_garten 2010-02-12 20:44

I installed this gadget and out of app manager and when it starts the window just collapses ad crashes. Do I need to install anything else?

v13 2010-02-12 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten (Post 523760)
I installed this gadget and out of app manager and when it starts the window just collapses ad crashes. Do I need to install anything else?

Open a terminal and run "wifieye". If it crashes it will (most probably) show some error messages . If you can show me those messages I may be able to fix the problem.

EDIT: If you used version 0.3.0 then this is expected behavior. Use 0.2.1-1 or 0.3.1-1.

fred123 2010-02-12 21:08

I have loaded 3.1-1.

The time graph in 3.0-1 was much smother, this version is very jerky and leaves gaps in the graph when the display goes black and after a couple of timeouts the graph stops working even if I switch to channels and back again.

v13 2010-02-12 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred123 (Post 523800)
I have loaded 3.1-1.

The time graph in 3.0-1 was much smother, this version is very jerky and leaves gaps in the graph when the display goes black and after a couple of timeouts the graph stops working even if I switch to channels and back again.

The jerkiness is a side-effect of the new timer. I'll fix that in a new version but be sure that this version avoids the problem when a scan could take more than a second.

As for the gaps, I can't see them. Can you give a screenshot or some more info on how I may reproduce them?

Also, what you mean by "timeouts"?

fred123 2010-02-12 21:27

2 Attachment(s)
I have back light timeout set to 30 when the screen goes black there are gaps in the graph see screenshots.

v13 2010-02-12 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred123 (Post 523834)
I have back light timeout set to 30 when the screen goes black there are gaps in the graph see screenshots.

Got it. This should happen with 0.3.0 too. I suppose that the device lowers its speed and that it takes more time to prepare the wlan0 interface when it is down. I didn't have this problem because I was always connected to wlan.

To fix this edit /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.5/wifieye/scan.py and:
a) add "import time" at the beginning, along with other imports
b) find the line "subprocess.call(["/sbin/ifconfig", iface, "up"])" and after that (before the try) add the line: "time.sleep(0.3)". Be sure to use the same number of spaces as the other lines.

It will make the graph more slow but it will not have gaps.

fred123 2010-02-12 22:48

That seemed to improve it. However having major problems with the device at the moment that I need to fix widgets not working and hig battery drain. Will do some more tests later.

v13 2010-02-13 15:04

New day, new version, new features.

v0.4.0's changelog:
  • Stable colors
  • Pause button in time-view
  • Code cleanups
  • Async scanning using threads
  • Bugfix: wait some time after making an interface "up"
  • Auto-refresh button in channel-view
  • Clear button in time-view
  • Bugfix: time graph was shifted to the top showing wrong values
  • Improved channel eye-candy
  • Re-use time-view data when switching to channel-view

Check it out when version 0.4.0 appears in extras-devel.

Be aware of extras-devel and the harm that it may cause to your device before using it.

inidrog 2010-02-13 16:06

I wish for ------- that would make this mess ------- to watch.

Ver. 0.4.0-1

http://home.broadpark.no/~noway/N900....4.0-1time.png

http://home.broadpark.no/~noway/N900...-1channels.png

Thank you very much for a great tool :)

pyromaniac 2010-02-13 16:21

looks nice ... will try it out ..

v13 2010-02-13 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by inidrog (Post 524803)
I wish for ------- that would make this mess ------- to watch.

Well.. if you have any ideas, I'm all ears. I can't think of a nice way to visually represent overlapping data.

inidrog 2010-02-13 16:31

Only idea i can steal from someone else is how its done in Inssider. Now you have 2 screens; Channels and Timeline, you could add another called Sort or Filter.
This screen could represent radioboxes for ssids in a column/spreadsheet-like page so you could sort on eg. signalstrength, then remove the ones hat your not interested in.

...and maybe a way to maximize the graphs to the display or zoom in some way(s)

IF .. Filter is a way; pleas make sort by: ssid / signal strength / channel

http://www.metageek.net/files/images/inSSIDer%2012.png
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider

Swirnoff 2010-02-13 20:42

why does a color parabola extend in a range between two numbers?
what does that range represent?
wouldn't a bar graph be more appropriate for the purpose?

les_garten 2010-02-13 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swirnoff (Post 525103)
why does a color parabola extend in a range between two numbers?
what does that range represent?
wouldn't a bar graph be more appropriate for the purpose?

Each channel takes up 5 channels total width in channel bleed. The Parabola is representative of the interchannel cross bleed and cross talk.

v13 2010-02-14 00:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten (Post 525186)
Each channel takes up 5 channels total width in channel bleed. The Parabola is representative of the interchannel cross bleed and cross talk.

In fact, AFAIK, each channel is 22 (some say 20?) MHz wide, while channels are 5MHz apart (except from channel 14).

A better question would be: why not use a square for each channel... Well, supposing that some channels use DSSS the arc is a correct representation. For FHS it would need to be a square (but 802.11 doesn't use FHS) and I'm not sure about OFDM (most probably a square too).

While not much informative, have a look here.

attila77 2010-02-17 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by v13 (Post 520037)
@all: It seems that there is a problem with pyhon-qt4 in extras-testing. python-qt4-gui and python-qt4-core cannot be both installed from there. You'll need to get python-qt4-gui from extras-devel. I don't believe there is something that I can do about this.

Just to chime in on this, it should be resolved now, a properly packaged pyqt is now in extras-testing. Thanks for this excellent tool !