maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Maemo Mapper v2.0 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=11245)

gnuite 2007-11-02 02:47

Maemo Mapper v2.0

Latest Version: 2.0.4

Install for the Nokia 770 or the Nokia N800:(Note: To run Maemo Mapper on the Nokia 770, you must have firmware version 3.2006.49-2 or greater.)

Many of you have been waiting for this for a long time. I apologize for the delay, but there is a lot of new functionality in this release.

This is the first release of the 2.x version of Maemo Mapper. It focuses on increased functionality at the cost of some CPU efficiency.

Major upgrades include a database-driven map repository, rotating viewpoint, GPSD compatibility, and new POI functionality. See the changelog for the (mostly) complete list of changes.

This release works on the 770 and N800, but you may find it too slow to use on the 770. It depends on your personal tastes, but the combination of database use and rotational functionality have slowed down screen drawing significantly. I personally find it very usable, especially if you leave "Auto-Rotate" disabled and keep your Pan Sensitivity down. If you're not sure, then give it a whirl. You can always downgrade if you don't like it (just don't delete all your old maps!).

Please report any bugs you may encounter in this thread. I ran a few private beta releases to test some of the major changes, but there still might be some little bugs lurking. By posting them in this thread, you help others who may encounter similar problems, and I can fix them.

IMPORTANT: Maemo Mapper v2.0 uses a completely different map storage mechanism from Maemo Mapper v1.x. Maps are stored in GDBM databases instead of in a directory structure. You will not be able to re-use your old, 1.x maps in Maemo Mapper v2.x. I'm sorry, but you will have to abandon all of your old maps. If you prefer not to do this, you will have to stick with v1.x. Also, Maemo Mapper does not automatically delete your old maps, so if you want to reclaim that space, you should delete those maps manually.

Maemo Mapper comes with OpenStreet pre-configured, but if you're looking for alternative repositories, see the Maemo Mapper Repositories thread.

zerojay 2007-11-02 03:23

Re: Maemo Mapper v2.0

Congrats on the big release. About to install it. :)

Using View -> Go to -> Address... if I type in my home address, it pops up the autocomplete list, but won't actually let me choose it.

bunanson 2007-11-02 03:44

Thank you gnuite. Installed in N800 without a glitch. Runs very smooth. Have not checked all the functions. I like the POI, they are great. One small bug? After dl POI, if press OK, it will dl another round of POI exactly the same, and if press OK again it will dl another one, until cancel is pressed. Is that suppose to be? After 4 times, I have 4X of exactly POI in my database. Overall it is much sanppier. Thank you again. Will road test tomorrow when going to work. Because of this piece of great product, I may just buy one more 770 and keep it in the car.

bun

bunanson 2007-11-02 03:48

One more, POI problem. After dl dining, the second time, one wants to querry fuel. The category field will change, but the querry field remains the same as last querry, POI dl results in previous querry instead of the current one.

bun

bunanson 2007-11-02 04:05

770 installed without a glitch, thanks gnuite. Help menu comes up on 770 upon loading, but not the 800 version. Works similarly, just as beautiful. Like you said, the rotation is slightly slow on the 770, I turned it off, it works just as fine. Will road test in am,
thanks for a piece of master product.

bun

R-R 2007-11-02 05:12

Excellent release, it seems faster and all!
Great work :D

Now on the bug side, in the POI:

- The number of pages doesn't seem to affect the result, i always get 10 restaurants...

- zoom level seems to change the result even though it's based on a GPS location or end point.

- Some times i get different POI names for the same place, but i guess that's not a bug but a "feature" from your POI source :-)

- The category menu that goes into query can only fill query when it is empty, after that you have to delete it by hand and use the menu again... (minor but, might as well make this bug report useful ;)

- It doesn't deal with double entry (as stated below)

How is POI working actually? i seems to go to a cgi to your site? i get very interesting restaurant results in the area that i can confirm :-)

anyway, cheers again and thanks for everything!

Johnx 2007-11-02 05:24

First of all I just have to say how cool this is. Maemo Mapper is *the* killer app for the Nokia ITs and the added POI capabilities are the icing on the cake. The POI "download..." option works perfectly. I don't know if this was a feature in 1.4 as well but I just noticed the pixel doubling option for displaying maps. That's really nice for the glasses wearers among us. 8)

I'm having trouble adding POIs. I click and hold on the map, select location -> add POI ... . I then put in my information, click Ok and maemo-mapper closes. When I run it from the command line I get this this output as it dies:
Code:

*** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0x000538d8 ***
Aborted

I've tried reinstalling maemo-mapper, wiping my settings with gconf and also letting it create a new poi.db (instead of using the one from 1.4 that I had). Also, it doesn't matter what category I use, what type of string I put into "label" or whether I add a description or not.

I'm relatively comfortable at the command line so give me a heads up if there's any more information I can provide to help you track this down. :D

BarneyC 2007-11-02 05:55

Now I may be being dumb but is there a way of creating a POI database oneself on the desktop (say with a spreadsheet or something)?

I ask only because there are little or no POI's that I can find for New Zealand and wouldn't mind creating a whole heap.

Johnx 2007-11-02 06:22

It's interesting you should mention that, as that's something I've been playing around with. On Windows there's something called POILoader, but being a Linux user I've never played with it. On the Linux side (or Mac OS X) I've been playing with google maps and google earth and getting them to spit out a KML file, then using gpsbabel to make them into gpx files. If anyone is interested I'll start another thread documenting my steps, so we don't accidentally hijack this thread. :)

-John

consean 2007-11-02 11:06

Have install ok on N800, look great. Auto rotate works but I can not switch back to N up. Have tried the reset , clockwise and counter from the menu but the map does not rotate.