maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Ubuntu (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Ubuntu tablet to be announced by BQ at MWC (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=96375)

switch-hitter 2016-01-20 08:21

Ubuntu tablet to be announced by BQ at MWC

And it seems it will run X11 applications.

Details and video here

theonelaw 2016-01-20 09:09

Re: Ubuntu tablet to be announced by BQ at MWC

Quote:

Originally Posted by switch-hitter (Post 1495602)

Details and video here

If it can compile X11 applications then it might be of some interest.
If it is limited to whatever web-farts the store offers then it might be better aimed at people who just love Android.
Bear mind, _absolute_zero_ multitasking means it is a better fit for one-track-minds than the multifaceted personalities we see around TMO.
Doing things like completely reloading webpages just because you answered an email may be somewhat disconcerting for those of us who actually pay for our internet access and are often travelling in 2.5G data realms.

handaxe 2016-01-20 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by theonelaw (Post 1495611)
If it can compile X11 applications then it might be of some interest.
If it is limited to whatever web-farts the store offers then it might be better aimed at people who just love Android.
Bear mind, _absolute_zero_ multitasking means it is a better fit for one-track-minds than the multifaceted personalities we see around TMO.
Doing things like completely reloading webpages just because you answered an email may be somewhat disconcerting for those of us who actually pay for our internet access and are often travelling in 2.5G data realms.

Why compiling in this cross-compilation world? Surely being able to run x11 apps, even if compiled off-device is enough? Being able to compile would be more mainstream 'nix'ish I admit, but...

UT multi-tasks just fine in windowed mode and gaining that at the moment is well within the knowledge capability of users of this forum.

I sympathise and agree with your last point. Waste of bytes.

switch-hitter 2016-01-20 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by theonelaw (Post 1495611)

How about this one instead? As it's desktop edition I guess it should be fully multitasking.

handaxe 2016-01-28 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by switch-hitter (Post 1495629)
How about this one instead? As it's desktop edition I guess it should be fully multitasking.

Seems to have gone away???

mscion 2016-01-28 13:23

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by switch-hitter (Post 1495602)

Details and video here

Years ago I put Ubuntu on my Lenovo X220 Think Tablet. It even has a usable stylus! Oh yes, before I forget, you can rotate the screen so it becomes a laptop with hwkb. It is a bit bulky, especially by todays standards but I really like the device. Should be doable with some of the current ultra thin laptops

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...laptop-series/

Dave999 2016-01-28 17:17

looooks greatest. Will follow the announcement.

robthebold 2016-01-28 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscion (Post 1496720)
Years ago I put Ubuntu on my Lenovo X220 Think Tablet. It even has a usable stylus! Oh yes, before I forget, you can rotate the screen so it becomes a laptop with hwkb. It is a bit bulky, especially by todays standards but I really like the device. Should be doable with some of the current ultra thin laptops

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...laptop-series/

Which Ubuntu, the regular vanilla desktop edition? Did you have to do anything special to get the stylus and rotation to work? I ask because I have some old Toshiba Porteges that also to the convertible flippy thing and it might be nice to wipe the drives, ditch the ancient Windows and install something newer (and security patched.)

mscion 2016-01-28 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by robthebold (Post 1496787)
Which Ubuntu, the regular vanilla desktop edition? Did you have to do anything special to get the stylus and rotation to work? I ask because I have some old Toshiba Porteges that also to the convertible flippy thing and it might be nice to wipe the drives, ditch the ancient Windows and install something newer (and security patched.)

I have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. It's still supported so I saw no real need to change.

Everything I did in regards to screen rotation and such is pretty much based on this thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1785015

Also, at the time I installed ubuntu I used wubi. I'm set to dual boot ubuntu and windows 7 (need it for my job...)

endsormeans 2016-01-31 18:59

Yup mscion...
completely agree...
there is nothing like a real good convertible lap/tab.
I used the x60 and x61 back in the day...liked it...
a very enjoyable experience.
If I got another lenovo x now it would be to keep up with the truly free and open distros ...what is the model recommended now? x200 I think...I could be wrong ..it may be newer by now...
It will be a while before I let go of my convertible toshiba m780's ...
they work sooo well with win and linux distros...
thicker and heavier than the lenovo x series...
since the m780 doesn't need a dock like the x's ...
and so has optical drive built in...
I use mine with a secondary hard drive caddy and play with my fav multiple distros and test new ones ...
writing this on one of my m780's right now in fact...
love a good convertible lap/tab...