maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Profile Scheduler which automatically changes IM Status (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32197)

Sasler 2009-09-29 13:53

Profile Scheduler which automatically changes IM Status

I wonder if it would be possible to have a Profile Scheduler wich automatically changes IM Status. What I have in mind would be an application that would either change the Profile according weekly schedule or, even better, would look for key words (like: meeting) from the Calendar (or a combination of the two :cool:). Additionally it would also change your availability status if this is not done yet in Profiles.

Actually, now that I think of it, one should be able to change your IM status of the profile. For example, it would make sense to have it "Busy" or "Unavailable" in the "Silent" Profile... Well, that is what I think. I could be wrong... :D

Anyway, does anyone think this would be good?

zerojay 2009-09-29 14:13

Re: Profile Scheduler wich automatically changes IM Status

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasler (Post 335993)
I wonder if it would be possible to have a Profile Scheduler wich automatically changes IM Status. What I have in mind would be an application that would either change the Profile according weekly schedule or, even better, would look for key words (like: meeting) from the Calendar (or a combination of the two :cool:). Additionally it would also change your availability status if this is not done yet in Profiles.

Actually, now that I think of it, one should be able to change your IM status of the profile. For example, it would make sense to have it "Busy" or "Unavailable" in the "Silent" Profile... Well, that is what I think. I could be wrong... :D

I think you should add the idea to Brainstorm, please.

chemist 2009-09-29 14:27

Quote:

an additional tab in calendar to change profiles and IM status msg sound pretty cool to me :cool:. GO for brainstorm!

timsamoff 2009-09-29 14:31

+1 for Brainstorm. Thanks.

Tim

nilchak 2009-09-29 15:04

Quote:

That really is a cool idea.

That's where the nice integration of apps show off and work best.

allnameswereout 2009-09-29 15:28

This kind of feature is much more broad. On a S60 phone you have seperate profiles which are manually set. You could make (or edit) these profiles manually and have them control more settings than what they currently do, like for example IM status. You could have your profiles automatically changed. You could have Bluetooth Proximity or GPS detect your location and set certain things like background or IM status based on this. With a camera you could have some kind of augmented reality-based detection. Apple patented something like the way the home screen looks based on GPS data or something. Don't think their patent is valid though, I mean, its either something very specific or its worded too broad. EDIT: link to submitted patent EDIT2: marcopolo is an OSX application which allows what I describe in this post together with atilla77's script. They call it context-aware computing. Use-cases are available.

sjgadsby 2009-09-29 15:36

Quote:

I like it. In addition to putting this idea in Brainstorm, you might mention it in attila77's Shepherd thread. There might be some interesting ways to tie the two together.

Sasler 2009-09-29 15:43

Thanks for all your comments, I'll try to put it in Brainstorm as soon as I figure out how... :D

pelago 2009-09-29 15:53

I agree that linking profiles with IM status somehow would be a good idea. A time-based scheduler would also be good. I'm not so sure about automagically looking for words in calendar entries, as that sounds like it might be trying to be too clever (i.e. might make incorrect choices)!

Without wishing to take this too off-topic, out of interest, does anyone know how many profiles can be set on Maemo 5/N900? So far, in all the screenshots and videos that I've seen, I've only seen General and Silent, with no button to add new profiles. With an old Nokia phone (before Symbian) that I had years ago, there were several profiles, and they could be named manually by the user. So I had a "very quiet" profile which just did a single quiet beep for an incoming call, etc.

Sasler 2009-09-29 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by allnameswereout (Post 336074)
This kind of feature is much more broad. On a S60 phone you have seperate profiles which are manually set. You could make (or edit) these profiles manually and have them control more settings than what they currently do, like for example IM status. You could have your profiles automatically changed. You could have Bluetooth Proximity or GPS detect your location and set certain things like background or IM status based on this.

Yes, I agree. Having location as one way to change the profile is a good idea. It could use the GSM Cell when GPS would not work like indoors. :cool: