maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Jolla Tablet (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Youyota Tablet Contact (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99214)

chenliangchen 2017-03-31 14:47

Youyota Tablet Contact

3 Attachment(s)

This project is completely owned by Youyota Team, if you need their contact detail please send me a PM.

I am only responsible for Livermorium Keyboard Mod project, and not involved in this project financially. Only as a community member trying to restore this hardware. I linked groups to make it started at the beginning and shared what I know, then check/chase Youyota regularly for the progress/status.

With the recent Livermorium Keyboard Mod go-to-market plan and production I am unable to follow this project. If you need to contact Youyota directly, please PM. Thank you

neochapay 2017-03-31 15:06

Re: [Pre-Announce] Revive of Jolla Tablet

I will buy

chenliangchen 2017-03-31 15:11

...... We will also re-design the case to make it keyboard friendly.

eson 2017-03-31 15:18

I will buy, provided that it comes with official Jolla support.

chenliangchen 2017-03-31 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by eson (Post 1526184)
I will buy, provided that it comes with official Jolla support.

Yes 100% official support. Inc. Alien Dalvik and MS Exchange.

mscion 2017-03-31 15:37

Re: [Pre-Announce] Revival of Jolla Tablet

So performance wise will it be the same? Is ram same? I like my Jolla tablet but it could use faster processor. Increased memory is great news.

chenliangchen 2017-03-31 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscion (Post 1526186)
So performance wise will it be the same? Is ram same? I like my Jolla tablet but it could use faster processor. Increased memory is great news.

It will be exact same. Changing processor and RAM will involve:

- A complete re-engineering on software inc. Alien Dalvik. Which not only cost money but a lot time.

- Re-work on PCB design, same time and effort as above.

I'd love to have a better specs but for our current time and funding constraints using same design is much more feasible.

For future devices with a more powerful hardware, we will start working very shortly. They take a lot time.

mosen 2017-03-31 15:48

Sure i would buy another one.
Using it daily and have unnecessary fights with my daughter whos turn it is :p

Are "you" paying fees to Jolla for using sailfish then? Are there any royalties attached for using the old design? Who owns "it" currently?

My head just imploded under a million other questions but those would clear up most for me.

chenliangchen 2017-03-31 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1526188)
Sure i would buy another one.
Using it daily and have unnecessary fights with my daughter whos turn it is :p

Are "you" paying fees to Jolla for using sailfish then? Are there any royalties attached for using the old design? Who owns "it" currently?

My head just imploded under a million other questions but those would clear up most for me.

"I" will team with our design partner as "We" using brand "Youyota", We will pay Jolla licence fee.

No Royalties as the old design was designed by "us", or our design house more preciously.

We own it now. :)

More questions are welcomed. :)

cy8aer 2017-03-31 16:10

I am interested in this too. What about shipping? Are there problems to get them to Europe or is there a little help by Jolla?

chenliangchen 2017-03-31 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by cy8aer (Post 1526193)
I am interested in this too. What about shipping? Are there problems to get them to Europe or is there a little help by Jolla?

Jolla shipped from China. We will be using the same carrier.

gsalone 2017-03-31 16:21

Count me in, although I still burn from TabletGate fiasco.

acrux 2017-03-31 16:27

Hmm, is it already April 1st in Shanghai? :D

deutch1976 2017-03-31 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by acrux (Post 1526197)
Hmm, is it already April 1st in Shanghai? :D

Yes it is
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/china/shanghai

gerbick 2017-03-31 16:32

If this is true, I'll purchase one just to show support. I'd love to see USB-C as a connector instead of the micro-USB - it does get a bit wobbly after prolonged use.

uber 2017-03-31 16:50

Will you ship to USA? If so, I'm interested.

Drekkie 2017-03-31 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by uber (Post 1526200)
Will you ship to USA? If so, I'm interested.

Same, i'm interested. Don't care if im getting duped by an april fools, i wanted that tab so badly before.

chenliangchen 2017-03-31 17:37

Damn, I forgot April Fools day completely. :) No I live in England, still 31st, not April Fools day yet. It's a real one. :)

rcolistete 2017-03-31 18:19

Thanks for the iniative reviving Jolla Tablet.

I will promote it to my friends.

Try to promote it very well, with a english version site, release news sent to main sites worldwide.

The Jolla fees are due to Sailfish license (with Alien Dalvik, etc), right ?

nthn 2017-03-31 18:31

Holy cow, this is superb news.

However, if I can make one request: as you mention you will be using the same design, please look into fixing the battery consumption of the tablet if this is anywhere within the scope of the project, otherwise there will be many unhappy customers. There is a bit of information in this thread on TJC, but so far I don't think anyone has really found the cause. Right now, if WiFi is enabled, the battery is fully drained in two days, doing nothing with absolutely no background processes running. With airplane mode, it lasts less than a week. My Android tablet is six years old and has been turned on essentially always since day one and it lasts more than a week with WiFi on (with background processes), and more than a month on airplane mode.

Koiruus 2017-03-31 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1526192)
"I" will team with our design partner as "We" using brand "Youyota"

Youyota, that's awesome :D To me, it sounds like a Chinese (no offense at all) copy of Toyota :D But I'm interested too!

Dave999 2017-03-31 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1526181)
I'm excited to announce some pre-announcement here before the "official announcement" comes in TJC and official Jolla channels in coming days.

In short, Jolla tablet will be mass-produced again in its original form and with a choice of 128GB capacity.

Some of you have probably noticed some hint.

The story behind it is a coincidence, while I am working with the team in China for the Moto Z Keyboard Mod, I was talking about the whole Linux and Sailfish demand with the owner of the R&D house, to see if there is any chance that we can do some Linux machines for our community. We talked about Jolla phone, tablet, and future projects.

It was only at concept stage until I told him, Jolla Tablet was the best first party device Jolla released but sadly it wasn't widely available and the project turned out being an fiasco for Jolla. He was curious how the device looks like and I showed him --- It turned out that this is HIS DESIGN! He doesn't know the story behind Jolla's crowdfunding failure, and was only informed that the factory has cancelled the big order. So they moved on to other projects and forgot this one.

Now since this is clear, we dug-out some 2-year-old archives... All the MD files are there, the PCB layout is there, component BOM is there. Great! We then checked with the supplier, camera module, IC, chipset availability.... screen availability... Yes, we can still purchase it! (This is another coincidence, normally quite some chips will be discontinued after a period of time)

Now we are ready. No software adaptation needed, no tooling cost and moulding cost needed, no NRE needed, no software engineering cost needed, we can instantly put it into assembling line!

The next question will be branding... Obviously we can't use Jolla, and we are not interested to use 3rd party brand, so we created a new brand for this product.

We plan to release within the same specs (due to the chipset limitation, RAM can not be added) with the same price. You may be asking why same price, because 2K screen and eMMC chip price has gone up dramatically over previous years, and we have to pay Jolla additional licence fees. CPU also have some shortage but we are official partner with Intel and they will secure chipset supply within a reasonable price range.

The prototype is under assembling will be ready by next week.

There will be an 128GB version, as well as previous 32/64GB version. And will have a special colour.

Please tell us what your opinions,suggestions are? Will you considering buying one if this is available to pre-order in the next couple of weeks? Device will ship in 45 days after putting into manufacturering line.

I'm excited!!

April fools :D this project Will haunt us forever :D what a joke. Wasn't this the joke last year? And the year before that!

Brilliant thread. More of this please.

If jolla had some humor they should use it and post about the refund :D

epninety 2017-03-31 19:04

If it is an AF gag, it's an almost perfectly judged one for this community, only missing the brand name being an obvious anagram...

but if it isn't, then I'd want to be in for one or maybe more, but I'd still be asking how you arrived at the brand name? Nothing wrong with it (and certainly no offence meant), but it doesn't jump out of the page at me either. It probably doesn't matter, suspect everyone will call it a Jolla Tablet if its 'real' name doesn''t stick.

lancewex 2017-03-31 19:04

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

feedme 2017-03-31 19:06

@dave99 I hope this is aprill fool, because just got an I pad4 ( used) for a second tablet as multimedia etc for my wife. B ut un fortunatelly this seems not to be aprils fool and I have an internal compelling need to get yet one more jolla tablet. :) :) , please HELP me :) )Last time I need to use youbuy. Maybe this time no.

jukk 2017-03-31 19:37

Yes, please have someone look into software/drivers, because battery drain is very bad. If more users are to be interested in this device, this is a must. Otherwise, very fascinating news and story!

MikeHG 2017-03-31 19:53

He states his place of residence as London / Shanghai, so I don't believe for a second he isn't aware of April Fools' day. On that basis:

Lol. This is hilarious. In a slightly brutal way.

mosen 2017-03-31 19:57

When we start honest critics on the device in light of comparison to recent devices, the second major flaw on Jtab in its current state is the GPU/Screen behaviour.
Jtab is the only SFOS device that sports a stuttering UI in almost any situation.
Is it possible the GPU is simply to weak to give 60fps on 2k resolution?
Nothig can be changed about the HW, so question from a layman, is it likely to optimize fps from software side because jolla possibly stopped ruling out major bugs on tablet hardware adaption?

taixzo 2017-03-31 20:26

I've tried unsuccessfully to get my hands on a Jolla Tablet for quite a while now. Here's hoping this project goes well!

MartinK 2017-03-31 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukk (Post 1526215)
Yes, please have someone look into software/drivers, because battery drain is very bad. If more users are to be interested in this device, this is a must. Otherwise, very fascinating news and story!

WiFi seems like a likely culprit as disabling it makes things a bit more bearable, even though still far from ideal.

But I still think there is a chance the power consumption issues are software based and might have been fixed without the tablet fiasco. It's understandable Jolla has other priorities where there are probably a couple hundred Jolla Tablet users and thinks would have been different if there were 20000 users as expected...

All in all it would really help if there was Sailfish OS on tablet (and on x86) in more widespread use - while things in general work pretty good, there are often issues that are unlikely to be fixed with such a small number of devices in use (power consumption issues, lack of apps built for x86, apps not really making use of the tablet form factor, etc.).

nthn 2017-03-31 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1526217)
When we start honest critics on the device in light of comparison to recent devices, the second major flaw on Jtab in its current state is the GPU/Screen behaviour.
Jtab is the only SFOS device that sports a stuttering UI in almost any situation.
Is it possible the GPU is simply to weak to give 60fps on 2k resolution?

Phew, I thought it was just my device that was stuttering so badly. I'm conflicted on whether that's a good thing, though.

Boxeri 2017-04-01 06:25

This is a brutal April's fool joke. But I like it :D

mosen 2017-04-01 06:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthn (Post 1526225)
Phew, I thought it was just my device that was stuttering so badly. I'm conflicted on whether that's a good thing, though.

To those who can not compare, effektive workflow is still the fasts of all sfos devices i own.
Thats why i did those benchmarks some time back to convince myself that it just "feels slow".
I have the feeling that UX on tablet could be greatly improved by software means like a special patch that skips or shortens most of the eyecandy.

Android_808 2017-04-01 07:17

In terms of processors, if you were to do something like this, couldn't you swap it for a higher spec variant in the same generation product line. Instruction support should be the same and GPU if Intel should use same unified driver.

feedme 2017-04-01 08:34

Is there any awailable, If I remember correctly Intel was driving down the products for tablets.

velox 2017-04-01 10:39

Wow, I really hope more tablet users may convince Jolla to make some software optimisations.

As mosen wrote earlier, the percieved framerate on the tablet is really low, also parts of the glassy background of normal silica apps tend to flicker black now and then.
Also, the build in screenshot capabilities in lipstick are really only fast enough on really low resolutions (JP01), what makes things like screencasting impossible.

But – as we all know – the most important thing still missing is split screen support. ;)

chenliangchen 2017-04-01 11:46

Thank you all for the support and interest. Here is some real photos of an early prototype (The back Intel and SFOS logo was printed horizontally instead of vertically) It's April 1st here but this is not a joke. :)

We will be shipping with latest SFOS 2.1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xy65zanfy0...24251.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q0plye0zz7...24238.jpg?dl=0

mosen 2017-04-01 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1526245)
It's April 1st here but this is not a joke. :)

I will officially add this to my definition of Nerd:

"A Person being struck by 1st of april when announcing unbelievable but legit projects".

mscion 2017-04-01 13:45

Maybe I missed it but what will this tablet cost?

Dave999 2017-04-01 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1526245)
Thank you all for the support and interest. Here is some real photos of an early prototype (The back Intel and SFOS logo was printed horizontally instead of vertically) It's April 1st here but this is not a joke. :)

We will be shipping with latest SFOS 2.1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xy65zanfy0...24251.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q0plye0zz7...24238.jpg?dl=0

Please scam us via indiegogo again, please. Don't forget all the stretch goals and fake news. :D

Jolla said it was no more parts and no more would be manufactured. Did you find the big bag with all the parts in a shady area of Hong Kong? The word on the street is that Marc dumped the bag in some dark ally when he fled the scene in panic after the scam was revealed...