maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   N900 - 70 days of uptime (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=87894)

philh 2012-11-16 16:32

N900 - 70 days of uptime

Hi all, i just wanted to share this video, my N900 has been now running for over 70 days since last boot and is perfectly usable. Just a little reminder of how amazing they are, I would not dream of doing the same with my Belle Refresh N8 or my ICS tablet..

Clicky

D.Cent 2012-11-16 16:45

Re: N900 - 70 days of uptime

My record was 82 days. I could have reached more, but by restarting dbus the phone became unstable, so i rebooted -.-

Still, Maemo 5 is one of the most stable mobile operating systems and I'm proud to own one of these devices :)

vi_ 2012-11-16 17:02

I believe docscrutinizer on irc had nearly a year on one of his devices!

philh 2012-11-16 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by vi_ (Post 1294998)
I believe docscrutinizer on irc had nearly a year on one of his devices!

Amazing.. I'll keep it on and see how it goes, it's not my main phone but I still use it quite a lot, the usual browse, im, cutetube, internet radio, some games etc, from what I've seen so far the thing will go on till the battery fails. At one point I was convinced it needs a restart after the cpu got locked at 100% and 1ghz after a session of Angry Birds, just left it for an hour or two, got back to it, something probably restarted and all was fine :)

Garrett_PL 2012-11-16 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by philh (Post 1294980)
Hi all, i just wanted to share this video, my N900 has been now running for over 70 days since last boot and is perfectly usable. Just a little reminder of how amazing they are, I would not dream of doing the same with my Belle Refresh N8 or my ICS tablet..

Clicky

In my case, Ihave to reboot every 2-3 days. And that's TOPS. In most cases modest (quite few mails at once 12 times a day), Recaller (not so much now when files are saved in AAC), QML Cute Tube (only when download list is around 20+ pieces) are forcing me to reboot.

So 70 days for me would be like dream, not to complain of course. Reboot is taking only few moments and few mAh ;-) but after that fresh and powerfull device is back on track, working hard.

petur 2012-11-16 19:27

It's certainly not caused by recaller, I use it with WAV file mode and I always have 14+ days uptime

Garrett_PL 2012-11-16 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by petur (Post 1295046)
It's certainly not caused by recaller, I use it with WAV file mode and I always have 14+ days uptime

Ooo, it is - easy way to find out. First ''top'' in X-Term, so I can see what process is still running eating more than half of CPU power, even the call has been terminated while ago (depends on time when I spott high CPU, and it's sometimes even after 1-2h). Second in folder when REC are stored I can see ''Still recording'' file, few kB size. Then Recaller icon stays green after call.

So man, I'm quite sure about Recaller.

pichlo 2012-11-16 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.Cent (Post 1294992)
Still, Maemo 5 is one of the most stable mobile operating systems and I'm proud to own one of these devices :)

The current uptime on my Treo 600 (running Palm OS) is 35 days. From a single charge. It says 35% left. Although it was on standby for >99% of the time, so I'm not sure it counts. The reason it is 35 days is because I forgot about it and the battery ran out. When I used it regularly I had it running without a reboot for 2 years since I replaced the battery. The battery was 5 years old. That's how long it was running without a reboot before the replacement.

People were making stable operating systems before Maemo :)

I reboot mine at least once a day. Sometimes more than that. It depends on how much I manage to resist fiddling. Installing a new application usually requires a reboot to force the redraw of the new icon. Which is a bummer, I really believe it shouldn't.

demolition 2012-11-16 23:09

This is fascinating but how do people keep the charge topped up? The USB on my first two only lasted a year each - now I'm out of warranty, I'm terrified of breaking it, so swap the battery once a day (as per drain rate).

If you're installing stuff, how does one get the application menu to refresh, without doing a reboot? "killall hildon-desktop"?

Even when I was using a charger, I usually forgot or accidentally ran
out of charge at least once a week, so (IMHO) anything 10+ days is good going!

Xagoln 2012-11-17 03:50

@demolition, have you filed down your micro USB connectors on your charger and PC connection? If you file them down they'll be a lot less likely to rip out the USB port.