maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Android (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   The Grand NITDroid Thread - NITDroid ICS Upgrade! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=66459)

ammyt 2010-12-02 09:08

The Grand NITDroid Thread - NITDroid ICS Upgrade!

2 Attachment(s)
What is it?
Nitdroid is an android port for your N900, an android variant worked out by a team of geniuses (e-yes mainly) who strives to bring a fully functional port to the N900. In other words, if you want to have android running on your device, install Nitdroid.

How is this exactly done?
All installation procedures can be found in the wiki, along with how to run the power-kernel after installing it:

------> Nitdroid Port WIKI <------

Latest fuss:
  • NITDroid ICS Upgrade!
  • N12 Updated to 2.3.7
  • http://forum.nitdroid.com/index.php?topic=2977.0
  • NEW UPDATE! NITDroid-Installer 0.2.8-8 - Adds NITDroid Safe Removal Tool!
  • FINALLY: A working NITDroid autoinstaller rolls out.
  • BURNING FROM THE PRESS!! OFFICIAL UPDATED NITDROID INSTALLER IS NOW AVAILABLE!:
  • HOT FROM THE PRESS!! MY CODED NITDROID AUTOINSTALLER ROLLED OUT TODAY:
  • samipower added the list of Android games: http://wiki.nitdroid.com/index.php?title=Games
  • Nitdroid Installation by repartitioning the eMMC added, plus new kernel update added
  • Nitdroid 12 released with SMS sending/receiving!
  • Nitdroid 11 released for all users!
  • Nitdroid 11 Release Candidate 3 released
  • Nitdroid 11 a.k.a. N11 Release Candidate 2 rolled out for testers, as in: http://twitter.com/drunkdebugger.
    Great! I am looking forward to testing it, gigantic credits to drunkdebugger e-yes, and all the Nitdroid team for this awesome alternative!
  • topet2k12001 added a wonderful high res. video on installing Nitdroid, hopefully gonna cure some users pain ;). Credits to him! INSTALLATION VIDEO ASSUMING YOU ALREADY HAVE THE NITDROID ARCHIVE AND KERNEL IN /home/user/MyDocs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm6spW5yadk
We have SMS sending/receiving on, voice calls are still under development.
Lol ye.

ammyt 2010-12-02 09:46

Re: [GUIDE] NITDROID install on EMMC the full nooby guide

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxJacobxX (Post 887411)
This is my first post and here it goes:
Thx man I'm willing to go for it, right now I'm downloading popov best luck to me!

Ya best luck to u. Havin any difficulties :mad: , queries :confused: just post below ;)

bigdarkmad 2010-12-02 09:59

Can you do the same thing for Meego?
Is this method to Dual boot Maemo and NitDroid? Or Maemo will be deleted?
I tried serveral times to install NitDroid on SdCard, but I have no success. I have interest in your method, but I must be sure It will keep Maemo, because NitDroid and Meego are not fully functionally yet.
Is it possible to uninstall NitDroid, if I change my mind later?

ammyt 2010-12-02 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdarkmad (Post 887423)
Can you do the same thing for Meego?
Is this method to Dual boot Maemo and NitDroid? Or Maemo will be deleted?
I tried serveral times to install NitDroid on SdCard, but I have no success. I have interest in your method, but I must be sure It will keep Maemo, because NitDroid and Meego are not fully functionally yet.
Is it possible to uninstall NitDroid, if I change my mind later?

MeeGo is incompatible with multiboot, unfortunately. You will always be able to shift between maemo and Nitdroid in this process as maemo is untouched.

XxJacobxX 2010-12-02 10:17

Editing via leafpad nothing really to change except the EXT to INT. I can't believe it's that simple. I rebooted my N900 now, 2, omg white text black background i'm on the line that states something about the battery waiting................................android logo appearing......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................YEAH!!!!!!!!! the setup wizard touching the android and skipping that **** skipping google account too. WOOOOO thx ammyt you made my day. K gonna remove my sdcard.... OMG it is still on. Thanks ammyt thanks Nitdroid, gotta have days and days customizing my new toy! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

ammyt 2010-12-02 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxJacobxX (Post 887433)
Editing via leafpad nothing really to change except the EXT to INT. I can't believe it's that simple. I rebooted my N900 now, 2, omg white text black background i'm on the line that states something about the battery waiting................................android logo appearing......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................YEAH!!!!!!!!! the setup wizard touching the android and skipping that **** skipping google account too. WOOOOO thx ammyt you made my day. K gonna remove my sdcard.... OMG it is still on. Thanks ammyt thanks Nitdroid, gotta have days and days customizing my new toy! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

congrats yea happy for you :)

ammyt 2010-12-02 10:52

I will soon upload the tutorial video both showing how silky smooth the installation is and how faster emmc nitdroid is than class 4-6-8 microsd nitdroid. Share your experience :).
EDIT: for extra clarity i added some screenshots above
For any queries post below :)

XxJacobxX 2010-12-02 11:39

hey community,
I installed nitdroid now and everything is working great can somebody tell me whether it is necessary to create a google account?
and ammyt based on your tutorial I don't think anybody will have any confusions :p.

ammyt 2010-12-02 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxJacobxX (Post 887467)
hey community,
I installed nitdroid now and everything is working great can somebody tell me whether it is necessary to create a google account?
and ammyt based on your tutorial I don't think anybody will have any confusions :p.

Creating a google account is necessary to download apps from the market, and to get support from other google services :D

mele 2010-12-02 12:07

Re: [TUTORIAL] NITDROID easy install on EMMC the full guide

How do you get off airplane mode on this one?

AgogData 2010-12-02 12:08

ammyt, i dont have SD card at all in the phone..is your way do-able without it ? and can it install froyo 2.2 ?

plaban 2010-12-02 12:28

Nice tutorial,I'll try.

plaban 2010-12-02 12:35

I've nitdroid installed,can I start from step 7??

esthreel 2010-12-02 12:52

Worked like a charm, and sure is more usable than SD. But i always get app not responding, ant stuff is laggy, plus no cam, gps, and calls? and even almost no market. So this still is more proof of concept than OS for n900.

muerte88 2010-12-02 13:21

Worked like a charm! Easyest way to install android ever! THX u! Just a few problems, I can't get the network working and the wifi...it seems it can't get pass "obtaining IP adress " or something like this...anyway, any help is welcomed. THX again for this tutorial

ammyt 2010-12-02 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by plaban (Post 887479)
I've nitdroid installed,can I start from step 7??

yeah go for it

ammyt 2010-12-02 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by mele (Post 887473)
How do you get off airplane mode on this one?

YEP! it is off by default but look at the post in the 3rd page :)

ammyt 2010-12-02 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgogData (Post 887474)
ammyt, i dont have SD card at all in the phone..is your way do-able without it ? and can it install froyo 2.2 ?

Yes u can, but you'll have to follow the manual installation guide found at the technical forums, and i can supply u with the files needed.

ammyt 2010-12-02 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by esthreel (Post 887492)
Worked like a charm, and sure is more usable than SD. But i always get app not responding, ant stuff is laggy, plus no cam, gps, and calls? and even almost no market. So this still is more proof of concept than OS for n900.

are you sure? I've got it running two days, with 4 gameloft games and no single lag till now. :cool: look at my post 3rd page for appmarket fix :D

plaban 2010-12-02 13:25

It's working,thanks!!

ammyt 2010-12-02 13:26

-- added --

ammyt 2010-12-02 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by muerte88 (Post 887501)
Worked like a charm! Easyest way to install android ever! THX u! Just a few problems, I can't get the network working and the wifi...it seems it can't get pass "obtaining IP adress " or something like this...anyway, any help is welcomed. THX again for this tutorial

IS your wifi encrypted? ull have to change the wifi encryption mode to wep? I guess it will work and thanks for the feedback :rolleyes:

muerte88 2010-12-02 13:34

Yes the network is encrypted...well, I'll give it a try later from scratch! I'll factory reset my phone and try the tutorial again. Hope it workes this time.

ammyt 2010-12-02 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by muerte88 (Post 887514)
Yes the network is encrypted...well, I'll give it a try later from scratch! I'll factory reset my phone and try the tutorial again. Hope it workes this time.

I'll look into a solution for ya ;)
here try this first:
Change the encryption from WPA2 to WPA from your Wireless Access Point. This is a compatibility issue hopefully gonna be fixed in later releases :)

muerte88 2010-12-02 13:37

thanks man, appreciate it

ammyt 2010-12-02 13:46

Airplane mode OFF:
for ppl who enabled airplane mode fixes are in here tried by me:
1. enable the widget power control nd turn airplane mode off
2. if didn't work disable pin code in maemo
3. the technical solution:
Code:

cd /and/data
Code:

rm -rf *
mkdir logs
Code:

chmod 777 logs
cd /
Code:

umount /and
BE CAREFUL IN THE rm -rf BE SURE U CD'ED IN DATA, I once deleted my nitdroid files in this method :o !
I would be happy an answer any questions and inquiries :)

XxJacobxX 2010-12-02 13:55

Thanks Nitdroid support for the fixes and thank you ammyt for listing them in the noobiest way! :p I've successfully turned off airplane mode by removing pin in maemo, and added tons of apps in the market. All like a charm! :D

illemann 2010-12-02 13:55

Is this a one boot android solution or can I use it as a second (dualboot) android solution. I really just want to test... I have a 6gb SD card and would be fun to test the nitdroid from this memcard.. OR maybe possible to mount nitdroid from a directory on my installed 32gb sd card in my n900???

ammyt 2010-12-02 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by illemann (Post 887536)
Is this a one boot android solution or can I use it as a second (dualboot) android solution. I really just want to test... I have a 6gb SD card and would be fun to test the nitdroid from this memcard.. OR maybe possible to mount nitdroid from a directory on my installed 32gb sd card in my n900???

This is a way to dualboot Android and maemo, both OS'es. After installing in this method look into ur memory card and phone memory settings in NITDROID u'll find that ur memory card installed is 21GBs and 3GBs of phone memory :D

ammyt 2010-12-02 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxJacobxX (Post 887534)
Thanks Nitdroid support for the fixes and thank you ammyt for listing them in the noobiest way! :p I've successfully turned off airplane mode by removing pin in maemo, and added tons of apps in the market. All like a charm! :D

Way to Go. And thanks for your feedback Jacob :)

mido.fayad 2010-12-02 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgogData (Post 887474)

yes you can and it's very simple

assuming u have leafpad installed and u installed nitdroid on mmcblk0p5

open terminal :

root

then

leafpad /etc/multiboot.d/11*

then u have to edit this line from

ITEM_DEVICE=${INT_CARD}p5

to

ITEM_DEVICE=mmcblk0p5

then save and open nitdroid

ammyt 2010-12-02 14:29

I have included new information and several fixes section to my first post :)

illemann 2010-12-02 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ammyt (Post 887537)
This is a way to dualboot Android and maemo, both OS'es. After installing in this method look into ur memory card and phone memory settings in NITDROID u'll find that ur memory card installed is 21GBs and 3GBs of phone memory :D

thx for your answer. what does it do for the maemo regarding memory, do you know?

XxJacobxX 2010-12-02 14:52

Here is my battery reports:
It's been about 3 hours since nitdroid was installed and I've been surfing the net all over and downloading apps via market:
1.battery temp: 45^C
2.battery remaining: 50% in nitdroid 40% in Maemo (45% as an average)
3. battery health:good
btw why does the battery reading differ in maemo and is the battery health supposed to change?

ammyt 2010-12-02 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by illemann (Post 887573)
thx for your answer. what does it do for the maemo regarding memory, do you know?

The mass memory will be shared somehow between both OS'es maemo will report approximately 25 GB of MyDocs and 1.81 Gegs of sdcard memory :rolleyes:

ammyt 2010-12-02 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxJacobxX (Post 887576)
Here is my battery reports:
It's been about 3 hours since nitdroid was installed and I've been surfing the net all over and downloading apps via market:
1.battery temp: 45^C
2.battery remaining: 50% in nitdroid 40% in Maemo (45% as an average)
3. battery health:good
btw why does the battery reading differ in maemo and is the battery health supposed to change?

Well thanks for ur great feedback. :)
The reading differs in maemo because the Battery managemant isn't yet quiet stiff in Nitdroid, and no, battery health is supposed to remain as is for months. :D

esthreel 2010-12-02 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by ammyt (Post 887506)
are you sure? I've got it running two days, with 4 gameloft games and no single lag till now. :cool: look at my post 3rd page for appmarket fix :D

market fix worked great, thanks :) On second boot it seems to run smoother, but I still would like to overclock. (sync was in the background first time)

XxJacobxX 2010-12-02 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by ammyt (Post 887581)
Well thanks for ur great feedback. :)
The reading differs in maemo because the Battery managemant isn't yet quiet stiff in Nitdroid, and no, battery health is supposed to remain as is for months. :D

I seeeeee thx ammyt :)

ammyt 2010-12-02 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by esthreel (Post 887582)
market fix worked great, thanks :) On second boot it seems to run smoother, but I still would like to overclock. (sync was in the background first time)

Good. The default NITDroid installation starting from 0.0.7 is slightly 'overclocked', it's running @700MHz max. But seems u want more ehh? :D Here:
basically overclocking in nitdroid is done by editing
/and/system/etc/power.conf
you can create ur own profiles or use these attached ones in my first post.
I do not suggest going any higher than 1000MHz. The difference between 1150MHz and 1000MHz is barely noticeable,
but the device generates much more heat.

XxJacobxX 2010-12-02 15:18

Re: [TUTORIAL] NITDROID easy install, install on EMMC, All fixes, Overclocking NIT to noobs, the full guide

@ammyt
Cool so we can OC Nitdroid too? I guess imma try the reasonable OC. So you posted the instructions on ur first post right?