maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Nokia working on Two New low end MeeGo Smartphones for Next Billion (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83311)

mariusmssj 2012-03-28 16:38

Nokia working on Two New low end MeeGo Smartphones for Next Billion

Quote:

“Nokia is working to connect the next billion people to the internet with low end mobile phones. Since Nokia’s partnership with Microsoft, the company has essentially been divided into two groups, one focused on Windows Phone and the Next Billion Group who is reponsible for the S40 & Asha lines. The two groups have completely different tasks, the Windows team obviously keeps Microsoft happy and the Next Billion Group is tasked with creating low costs handsets which will likely be the first place that they will access the internet.”
Meego will be used for the project

cddiede 2012-03-28 16:46

Re: Nokia working on Two New low end MeeGo Smartphones for Next Billion

Oh for the love of god....

The source article concludes with the statement:

"Could it be that two low end MeeGo handsets could be used to test the water to replace Nokia’s S40 line up? I’m not saying that this is the full intention, but I’m saying that it’s got to be a thought,"

How in the HELL does that translate to "TWO MORE MEEGO PHONES FOR ALL!" to so many foolish people???

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...16#post1185116

immi.shk 2012-03-28 17:19

who is telling nokia to create 100 meego phones every year.
just make a single meego phone every year.. and stop this crap of "its going to be the last phone of its kind" you are doing it from the good old 7710...
for GOD sake you people are phone manufacturer not lovers that your love is going to be distributed if you make another phone of its kind...
if people likes the platform then what's bloody your problem... I know you people couldn't get the companies for meego...
but the fact is you guys just needed one company which was Alien Dalvik
if company like blackberry is able to do it on their own... you were already having the developed software... even iOs is capable of emulating .apk.. why can't you..

mariusmssj 2012-03-28 19:06

cddiede would it kill you to be a bit more positive?

I will try to hope for the best :D and hopefully we shall see future meego support

misterc 2012-03-28 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariusmssj (Post 1185172)

this isn't going to be MeeGo but rather Meltemi, a fork of Maemo destined to replace S40, indeed.

i still use 1100 or 1208, but when the day comes where they won't work anymore (most likely by accident rather then wear out), it'd be nice to have a replacement.
really don't care for
  • camera, no matter what resolution
  • Web browsing
  • a GUI, in the sense of a desktop like construct.
  • (surprise coming from me, i guess...) no keyboard... (but a numpad, of course)

then again, this is probably NOT what they would like to sell to the "next billion"; they want them to go online, buy apps & all that rubbish :mad:

mariusmssj 2012-03-28 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterc (Post 1185262)
this isn't going to be MeeGo but rather Meltemi, a fork of Maemo destined to replace S40, indeed.

i still use 1100 or 1208, but when the day comes where they won't work anymore (most likely by accident rather then wear out), it'd be nice to have a replacement.
really don't care for
  • camera, no matter what resolution
  • Web browsing
  • a GUI, in the sense of a desktop like construct.
  • (surprise coming from me, i guess...) no keyboard... (but a numpad, of course)

then again, this is probably NOT what they would like to sell to the "next billion"; they want them to go online, buy apps & all that rubbish :mad:

My old 3310 still works like a dream, when every other phone dies i can always rely on it.

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Nok...f7_3404712.jpg

Arie 2012-03-28 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariusmssj (Post 1185233)

I will try to hope for the best :D and hopefully we shall see future meego support

Meego in regards to Nokia is done.

Meltemi is the next Linux platform. This is their plan B.

misterc 2012-03-28 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arie (Post 1185311)
Meego in regards to Nokia is done.

Meltemi is the next Linux platform. This is their plan B.

«Plan B is Plan A»
dixit Flop

but behind his back, there are a lot of plan Bs, included but not limited to...
  • Symbian as bread & butter platform... well, more butter then bread, maybe :D)
  • S40 'til...
  • Meltemi
  • Maemo (as an ongoing foray in disruptive technologies :cool:)

looking @ it from a pragmatic point of view, one can't help feeling NOKIA keeps Flop for the sake of ca$hing in m$$$$$$ ¦-))))))))))))
the moment that ceases... kick in the @$$ :rolleyes:

Arie 2012-03-28 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterc (Post 1185317)
«Plan B is Plan A»
dixit Flop

but behind his back, there are a lot of plan Bs, included but not limited to...
  • Symbian as bread & butter platform... well, more butter then bread, maybe :D)
  • S40 'til...
  • Meltemi
  • Maemo (as an ongoing foray in disruptive technologies :cool:)

looking @ it from a pragmatic point of view, one can't help feeling NOKIA keeps Flop for the sake of ca$hing in m$$$$$$ ¦-))))))))))))
the moment that ceases... kick in the @$$ :rolleyes:

Smart man, maybe that is what they are doing. I can't say. I just know that your idea is sound.

cddiede 2012-03-29 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariusmssj (Post 1185233)

LOL, your right. My last few posts have been awfully negative.

It's just that Nokia has broken my god damned heart...