maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   News (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dr. Ari Jaaksi on Maemo 5 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=23677)

Reggie 2008-09-17 11:27

Dr. Ari Jaaksi on Maemo 5

Quote:

Dr. Ari Jaaksi has just finished his keynote speech over at OSiM, revealing a lot of juicy stuff on the future of Maemo. Check out the the upcoming Maemo 5 (5th generation) highlights:     online anywhere with cellular connectivity over HSPA for broadband anywhere     powerful computing with TI OMAP3 processor - for better performance and better graphics performance     photo sharing with hi-def camera - imaging and photo-sharing     Nokia is now Gold Sponsor of Linux Foundation, has contributed code today for 3G/HSPA cellular (data) connectivity for OMAP3 to Linux kernel     no news yet on backward compatibility on older devices
Read the full article.

chlettn 2008-09-17 11:38

Re: Dr. Ari Jaaksi on Maemo 5

Interesting - good to see HSPA support.

Has somebody recorded the presentation?

Bundyo 2008-09-17 11:42

I'm sure someone did it, however it will probably take some time to get it online.

EIPI 2008-09-17 12:15

I guess this confirms the speculation over Texrat's previous comment on being blown away by Step 5 of 5. Great news to see HSPA connectivity. I just wonder what this will do to potential N810WE sales - My guess is that people will hold off until the new Maemo device comes out

tso 2008-09-17 12:27

i worry what kind of effect hspa will have on price...

leonbrussels 2008-09-17 12:33

He announced new processor... Hope they are not going to drop support for the old ones. I am really close to buying one but if they drop support in the next months...

GeneralAntilles 2008-09-17 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by tso (Post 224571)
i worry what kind of effect hspa will have on price...

N96-level pricing may very well kill the platform.

Not particularly excited about the cellular stuff here.

tso 2008-09-17 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by leonbrussels (Post 224572)
He announced new processor... Hope they are not going to drop support for the old ones. I am really close to buying one but if they drop support in the next months...

iirc, its omap thats being used today as well. dont know how backwards compatible cortex-based is vs the current one tho...

GeneralAntilles 2008-09-17 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by tso (Post 224574)
iirc, its omap thats being used today as well. dont know how backwards compatible cortex-based is vs the current one tho...

Well, the issue is less ARM-compatibility (Cortex A8 is armv7, ARM11 is armv6, one or the other is just a recompile away—and, fwiw, Debian is armv5 and works fine on OMAP2 and OMAP3) than all the extra features that might possibly be thrown in. Interface compositing with PowerVR, a RAM boost, much faster CPU. Basically, it's a similar situation to what happened with the 770.

Nokia did promise us at least 2 rounds of support per tablet, and the N810 has only gotten one (no, the dinky little Diablo update does not count as a round). So either Nokia breaks the promise (I picture rioting here) or, as Jaffa put it "hamstrings" the backport to keep it within the OMAP2's limits.

chlettn 2008-09-17 13:07

I doubt that a radio interface will change much about the price. I don't think the WiMAX hardware in the N810WE made it much more expensive, so why should HSPA hardware change much about an "N900HE" price-wise?

I don't get the negativity regarding cellular network support on here.