maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   N9 battery consumption after PR1.2 (is there a way to make it better?) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82984)

Mada22009 2012-03-12 10:20

N9 battery consumption after PR1.2 (is there a way to make it better?)

Well guys I am one of these people who is very concerned about the battery life of all my devices (I carry an extra battery for all of it) I am an outgoing person which means I could be ages away from a plug when I need one. Any way since the battery is not changeable on the N9 I tried to find ways to save it by lowering the Idle consumption.

so far the best I could reach is 3ma after a restart and recharge which allows me to about 5 to 6 days of extremely light usage (power saver mood, and 2G only, and light phone usage)

however with heavy usage I get about 2 days out of it. (about 6 hours of navigation, about 3 hours of internet on wireless, about 2 hours of calls, a number of sms and some gaming as well *power saver mood is on!)

so was any one able to get better results?
is there a way to reduce the active consumption which is 100 to 300ma average under that kind of usage?
what is your own battery usage statistics?

bockersjv 2012-03-12 10:28

Re: N9 battery consumption after PR1.2 (is there a way to make it better?)

That is some impressive battery life!!

How about getting an external power pack such as the Nokia Extra Power DC-11K ?

I have one and it has saved me on many occasions.

Mada22009 2012-03-12 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by bockersjv (Post 1178282)
That is some impressive battery life!!

How about getting an external power pack such as the Nokia Extra Power DC-11K ?

I have one and it has saved me on many occasions.

just took a look at it it looks like a good choice in times of desperation :P
The battery went to zero once while I am using the GPS it took me almost 3 hours to find my way to a place that is less than 15 KM away :P this could definitely help as I hate car chargers (they cause battery life shortening with constant use) will look into it later in Nokia store

legoman666 2012-03-12 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mada22009 (Post 1178292)
just took a look at it it looks like a good choice in times of desperation :P
The battery went to zero once while I am using the GPS it took me almost 3 hours to find my way to a place that is less than 15 KM away :P this could definitely help as I hate car chargers (they cause battery life shortening with constant use) will look into it later in Nokia store

A replacement battery is so cheap that any attempt to prolong its life is a waste of time.

Mada22009 2012-03-12 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by legoman666 (Post 1178307)
A replacement battery is so cheap that any attempt to prolong its life is a waste of time.

replacement battery!? how cheap is that and how convenient is it to replace it ?

legoman666 2012-03-12 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mada22009 (Post 1178311)
replacement battery!? how cheap is that and how convenient is it to replace it ?

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-BV-5JW...1555271&sr=1-1 $28. Can probably find cheaper elsewhere. Not a huge deal to change, there's video guides on youtube.

bockersjv 2012-03-12 12:45

There is no way I would open up my N9 just to replace the battery unless it was no longer charging. Way too risky until it is out of warrantee.

Mada22009 2012-03-12 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by legoman666 (Post 1178324)
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-BV-5JW...1555271&sr=1-1 $28. Can probably find cheaper elsewhere. Not a huge deal to change, there's video guides on youtube.

man we are looking to either change the battery in a convenient way as in N900 or make battery life longer

changing the battery every time it gets empty on an N9 is definitely a big NO for every one here

legoman666 2012-03-12 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mada22009 (Post 1178331)
man we are looking to either change the battery in a convenient way as in N900 or make battery life longer

changing the battery every time it gets empty on an N9 is definitely a big NO for every one here

You misunderstood me completely. I don't mean replace it every time it gets empty, I meant that its not worth the effort to try to prolong the lifetime of the battery (IE, the conditioning of it, how many discharge cycles you get out of it).

bockersjv 2012-03-12 14:38

Agree with that, even with severe missuse of my N900 battery, it lasted for about 18months with good capacity. Then the capcity fell off the cliff, so to speak, in the space of a couple of weeks. New Scud battery still going strong though.

I must admit i don't consider my N9 charging cycles, having watched the you tube disassembly guide replacing the battery does not look too hard once every 18 monmths :D

Battery management is just too much hassle to be thinking about all the time.