maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Games (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   [ANNOUNCE] Flash Launcher (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=52275)

attila77 2010-05-10 01:26

[ANNOUNCE] Flash Launcher

1 Attachment(s)
I announce FlashLauncher for Maemo, your premier source for flash-based standalone content. The central focus is to build a central repository of N900-friendly flash content, but there are many other benefits as well.

A Note regarding the 'special' PR1.2 situation:
If you have a N8x0, N900 PR1.2 or later, install FlashLauncher. If you have N900 PR1.0 or 1.1, install FlashLauncher (experimental)

A quick QA:

Q: What ?
A: Qt based GUI front end that launches your favourite flash games^H^H^H^H applications

Q: Why ? (Why not MicroB ?)
A:
  • Less overhead
  • No intrusive elements (e.g. fullscreen button in corner)
  • No cursor mode switching needed
  • Verified list of working N900/N8*0 compatible content
  • Ability to run games that are not just a swf (think greasemonkey)
  • Force quality
  • Avoid ad or multiple flash element filled html pages
  • Force fullscreen support
  • Proper portrait mode support
  • Choose between WebKit, MicroB and KMPlayer plugin interfaces
  • Easily browsable interface with instructions/caveats
  • Support potential third party flash content distribution through maemo.org infrastructure

Q: How does it look like ?
A: I cobbled together a version that is able to launch flash apps through a rudimentary GUI interface (in Qt, and no, you don't need PR1.2 to use it). See attached screenshot.

Q: It's huge ! Why don't you optify it ?
A: It's optified. To operate, it requires Qt libraries, which, however, Nokia chose not to optify.

Q: What's the difference between flashlauncher and flashlauncher-experimental ?
A: Flashlauncher links against the stable libqt4-*, flashlauncher-experimental links against the bleeding edge libqt5-maemo5 or libqt4-experimental

Q: How many apps are in the database ?
A: The initial package ships with just 4 games in the database, and I would like to you ask YOU, the community gamer, to list your favourite flash game/app so it could be entered in flashlauncher's database.

Q: What exactly are you using to display flash ?
A: FlashLauncher has 5 'engines'. Two are via Qt's QtWebKit module, two via MicroB, and the last one is KMPlayer (if installed). I'll make a wiki page soonish to explain the difference and why you would want to use one over the other.

Q: My flash requires javascript, cookies, parameters, html elements, etc
A: The WebKit html and MicroB html engines allow you to load the flash via a page you construct yourself (and even inject javascript, a la greasemonkey). Check the global section of the config file for an example.

Q: How do I submit a game for inclusion into flashlauncher ?
A: It's quite simple. The db is a human readable file, /usr/share/flashlauncher/applications.conf so just write an entry based on the currently present ones and submit it in this thread (or PM me). It's really simple and fairly self-explanatory. For the impatient, here's an example:

Code:

[bloxorz]
name=Bloxorz
image=http://www.passionforpuzzles.com/blog/uploaded-images-2007/bloxorz.jpg
description=A platform puzzle game
instructions=Use cursor keys to move. Get the block to fall into the square hole to progress to the next level.
engine=1
swf=http://www.miniclip.com/games/bloxorz/en/bloxorz_miniclip.swf
quality=low
fullscreen=1
size=2280

That's all ! Comments, games, feedback, (reasonable :) ) feature requests welcome ! Currently in extras-devel, extras-testing/extras timeline will depend on the responses here.

PS Please do not submit commercial or illegal content. Thank you.

tuminoid 2010-05-10 03:09

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Flash Launcher

Nice work attila!

I assume your work could be reused to produce a package template, so each flash could be packaged as separate app? Or perhaps support conf file loading from certain directory so people could package flash apps that just depend on flash launcher and install themselves as conf (+local flash binary) to add themselves to launcher?

Such feature would skyrocket the number of apps for N900, at least in numbers if not in quality :-) I see a lot of trouble ahead if you maintain the thing by hand and provide content update via QA process...

felbutss 2010-05-10 03:26

YYESSSS. when can i download

HellFlyer 2010-05-10 03:59

Thanks! I love this community :D

humble 2010-05-10 04:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by felbutss (Post 651179)
YYESSSS. when can i download

Right now its in app manger:D

IzzehO 2010-05-10 04:08

Very very cool idea. Tried to install from app manager and got a missing packages error:

"Application packages missing: libqt4-core (>= 4.62~git20100224-0maemo1+0m5)"

Am I to believe we can get this somewhere? Or, contrary to your post, we need PR1.2?

humble 2010-05-10 04:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by IzzehO (Post 651202)
Very very cool idea. Tried to install from app manager and got a missing packages error:

"Application packages missing: libqt4-core (>= 4.62~git20100224-0maemo1+0m5)"

Am I to believe we can get this somewhere? Or, contrary to your post, we need PR1.2?

Im using LPR 1.2

Edit:I notice you cant scroll without picking a game

lostinmirkwood 2010-05-10 04:25

Quite a few things I've been trying to install say that as well:
Application packages missing: libqt4-core (>= 4.62~git20100224-0maemo1+0m5)

I'm also assuming that I need to wait till PR1.2 to install this (and quite a few other apps)

magnuslu 2010-05-10 04:27

This was on my list of 'planned apps that I'll never have time to implement', so I'm quite happy to see someone else got down to do it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by IzzehO (Post 651202)

Yeah... I got all excited with the mention that it was Qt with no PR1.2 issues, and I really wanted to know how that was accomplished...

lostinmirkwood 2010-05-10 04:37

attila77; This is a brilliant idea. It really simplifies the flash process.
http://www.flashearth.com/ might be a good addition.

devu 2010-05-10 04:43

Wow.

I was screaming from month, even looking for way how to compile stuff from as3 to c++ and port yo ARM platform. Many developers here blamed on me and here we go :)

By the way nobody told you that flash is evil and you shouldn't to do that ;)

I have couple of questions. Games is one thing what about apps?
Is any sandbox or security restrictions if flash need's to communicate with external server? Or game needs to send game scores?

Good job man!

attila77 2010-05-10 07:37

A little autobuilder/dependency issue, working on it (builds fine on my scratchbox), I don’t use any Qt4.6 specifics, so PR1.1 *should* work once we figure out the magic ’depends’ line. PR1.2 apparently has a little bug with the scrolling (not present with PR1.1).

@tuminoud: there is already code in there that would allow a ’master’ database(s) and a ’local’ one, so that the updates do not overwrite your local changes (plus you could override the settings in the master conf). It’s just that it’s not quite user-ready so wil be enabled in one of the next updates.

@devu: sure, apps are more than welcome, too, it’s just that I have not seen that many of them (compared to games ;) ). There is browser-like sandboxing, to the Flash app the whole thing looks like it is being run from a webkit or gecko browser.

As for supporting separately distributed flash content, I’m generally okay with that, my biggest concern for that case is licensing. Such content would have to have approval from the copyright holder/author and (most likely) go to the non-free (=free beer sense) repo. Flashlauncher keeps clear of copyright issues by just referencing html and URLs (technically it’s a very specific kind of browser).

silvermountain 2010-05-10 08:33

Looks great!

1) Would this work for Diablo?, and
2) It would be REALLY nice to be able to maintain the db of flash games locally. Not everyone has the same taste in games :)

gilamonyet 2010-05-10 08:43

Awesome! Gunna download it right now :)!

Edit:
I cant find it under FlashLauncher :(?

MohammadAG 2010-05-10 08:47

Let the "Build-depends" be libqt4-maemo5-dev then if you're using qmake make it execute /opt/qt4-maemo5/bin/qmake instead of just "qmake"
That should solve the 1.2/1.1.1 issues.

attila77 2010-05-10 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvermountain (Post 651433)
Looks great!

1) Would this work for Diablo?, and
2) It would be REALLY nice to be able to maintain the db of flash games locally. Not everyone has the same taste in games :)

1) Generally, yes. The UI is a bit fremantleish, so that might require some work, but most of the concept is transferable to Diablo (if the flash on Diablo is actually able to play the thing).
2) See above, this feature already exists, but is not stable yet, so not enabled. Coming soon :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MohammadAG (Post 651452)
Let the "Build-depends" be libqt4-maemo5-dev then if you're using qmake make it execute /opt/qt4-maemo5/bin/qmake instead of just "qmake"
That should solve the 1.2/1.1.1 issues.

No, the actual solution is to force it to >= depend on the PR1.0 version of Qt, that way it will work for every firmware version.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilamonyet (Post 651447)
I cant find it under FlashLauncher :(?

It’s in extras-devel, under the name flashlauncher...

IzzehO 2010-05-10 09:47

So any sort of ETA till this'll work? Very keen to try it out =D

tuminoid 2010-05-10 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by attila77 (Post 651372)
As for supporting separately distributed flash content, I’m generally okay with that, my biggest concern for that case is licensing. Such content would have to have approval from the copyright holder/author and (most likely) go to the non-free (=free beer sense) repo. Flashlauncher keeps clear of copyright issues by just referencing html and URLs (technically it’s a very specific kind of browser).

Yes I'm aware of the FlashLauncher's idea and possible copyright things. A web browser is not responsible if one plays illegal flash games, nor is FlashLauncher responsible, if a 3rd party installs a binary flash + a conf file to make it run via FlashLauncher. One could also "install" flash games by just installing a tiny deb with just proper conf which would point to some flash in the net, so technically it'd work exactly its working now, except it'd be easy to add content for 3rd party.

mikec 2010-05-10 10:27

This is a great idea:D

MohammadAG 2010-05-10 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by attila77 (Post 651481)
No, the actual solution is to force it to >= depend on the PR1.0 version of Qt, that way it will work for every firmware version.

I was thinking Qt 4.6 (libqt4-maemo-*), but it seems that you don't need that :)

cashclientel 2010-05-10 10:45

Really good idea +1

attila77 2010-05-10 10:57

Okay people, I upped a version for Diablo. It has some UI issues (as predicted), but DOES work. The horsepower difference (compared to the N900) really shows, though.

Still fighting with the Fremantle extras-devel version, I expect an actually installable and working release soonish (definitely is doable, no need for PR1.2).

Andy214 2010-05-10 11:30

What about these games from Newgrounds.com?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sN44IcS24s

DaSilva 2010-05-10 11:35

I have just installed the current version from extras-devel for my N900 and it doesn't start. When I try to start it from the shell I get a "Segmentation fault" error and when I try to start it with strace it ends with "killed by SIGSEGV" "(@ 0 (0)").

IzzehO 2010-05-10 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by attila77 (Post 651610)
Still fighting with the Fremantle extras-devel version, I expect an actually installable and working release soonish (definitely is doable, no need for PR1.2).

Awesome, totally keen for this. Wanna try it with Robot Unicorn Attack, as it runs 3/4 speed in the browser :P

attila77 2010-05-10 11:50

@Andy214:
Fine by me. As said, I do the groundwork and I expect the community to provide the content :) I'll make a wiki page, but even without that I think the config file is fairly self-explanatory.

@DaSilva: still links the wrong libs - the dependencies are correct now, though (that's why you can install but not run). Don't worry, I'll post here as soon as it's functional. Trouble is I can't test on my scratchbox so you will see in extras-devel every attempt. :(

Rushmore 2010-05-10 12:04

Please do not get mad at me when I ask this: What is the difference with this and using file manager to launch the app? I have been using file manager to launch Flash games since the N900 was released and have 253 Flash games on my microsd card.

What are the advantages launching from this app and file manager? I am hoping less overhead, perhaps? That alone would be good :)

IzzehO 2010-05-10 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rushmore (Post 651707)
What are the advantages launching from this app and file manager? I am hoping less overhead, perhaps? That alone would be good :)

From what I understand, less overhead.. and no more sliding and using the highlight pointer to click anything.

mthmob 2010-05-10 12:40

Quote:

Please do not get mad at me when I ask this: What is the difference with this and using file manager to launch the app? I have been using file manager to launch Flash games since the N900 was released and have 253 Flash games on my microsd card.

Any change you could share your flash game collection? :) on rapidshare.com or something.. Would be gratefull

tissot 2010-05-10 12:56

I open the application and after couple of secs loading it crashes.

attila77 2010-05-10 12:57

Quote:

I no particular order:
  • Less overhead
  • No intrusive elements (e.g. fullscreen button in corner)
  • No cursor mode switching needed
  • Verified list of working N900/N8*0 compatible content
  • Ability to run games that are not just a swf (think greasemonkey)
  • Force quality
  • Force fullscreen support
  • Proper portrait mode support
  • Choose between WebKit, MicroB and KMPlayer plugin interfaces
  • Easily browsable interface with instructions/caveats
  • Support potential third party flash content distribution through maemo.org infrastructure

Those are the ones just off the top of my head, but I'm sure others will come up with more

mikec 2010-05-10 13:30

just installed it. Dies when I try to run from launcher.
went to /opt to see if I could run it manually, but can not find the install.

where have you put it?

Bratag 2010-05-10 14:59

Unfortunately instant seg fault when I try run this. Pr 1.1 with the latest QT libs from the repos installed.

Should point out that this was with flashlauncher package. The experimental package appears to be incomplete so I figured I might as well give the other a shot.

Ministeri 2010-05-10 15:02

Great application!

Must have game for every N900:
Code:

[jones]
name=Jones in the Fast Lane
image=http://u.lasoo.com.au/Content/Images/UserStories/1aa168f2-8cec-46bf-a93e-ad52ee745c4e_1013636204.jpg
description=The objective of the game is to attain as much money, happiness, status and education as necessary to win.
instructions=The player, represented by a coloured marble on the board, is free to move around, only limited by the time remaining per turn.
engine=1
swf=http://home.broadpark.no/~kboye/jones/preloader.swf
base=http://home.broadpark.no/~kboye/jones/jones.html
quality=low
fullscreen=1
portrait=0
size=1000

attila77 2010-05-10 17:16

Here's the deal: it seems there is no way I can force a proper 4.5 build on the autobuilder. To avoid this slight problem (and future breakage), we're going to have *two* packages, just like we do with Qt.

flashlauncher - this is the package that is linked to libqt4, i.e. the version of Qt in the SDK, This one will get to Extras eventually.

flashlauncher-experimental - the package linked to libqt4-maemo5/experimental, i.e. the version of Qt in extras-devel. This one will always remain in extras-devel.

Now, given the borkedness of PR1.2, as crazy as it sounds it's the experimental one that is the only installable for PR1.0/1.1 people. Long story short:

If you have an N800, N810, or a N900 PR1.2 RC, install flashlauncher

If you have a N900 with PR1.0 or PR1.1 firmware, install flashlauncher-experimental

I did not have time to revamp the UI controls for Qt4.6 so it's a bit iffy (f.e. does not finger scroll correctly), I'll post a version with correct Hildon stuff tonight.

Chrome 2010-05-10 17:43

Thanks attila, can't wait to use this nice app.

What do you mean by bleeding edge unstable version of Qt? I'm better off waiting for version with correct Hildon stuff?

devu 2010-05-10 18:03

My Flaemo project already said bye bye to maemo.org, not me but just project :), However your project bring back a little hope.

Do you think will be possible to include Flaemo to the list? For now whole solution is communicate with database and can't work out of the box.

The whole platform will bring much more to the application itself and speed up a lot of things if don't need to be wrapped into the browser. I will need rewrite some code for that but hmm, at least you can be sure, I am the author of this content using open source tools and working for N900 whatever I can do will be free for everyone here. As well as whatever I am doing for N900 is about K.I.S.S me D.R.Y :)

attila77 2010-05-10 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrome (Post 652124)
What do you mean by bleeding edge unstable version of Qt? I'm better off waiting for version with correct Hildon stuff?

It's a bit misleading, as currently the dubbed as bleeding-edge (libqt4-maemo5 packages) are *at the moment* actually older than the stable ones in PR1.2 (yes, total brain damage). As for Hildon stuff, it's just a question of usability, it lacks proper finger scrolling, stacked windows, etc, but has no 'functional' or system instabilities.

mthmob 2010-05-10 19:27

Tested the pr 1.1 version. Seems to have great potential.

Tested the stock games. flying penguin kept freezing for several seconds, up to 10sec. at a time, with cpu at 100% load.

Other games worked well, Mad Virus is a great and fun little game ! :)

BTW i'm on OC'ed kernel (805Mhrz)

devu 2010-05-10 19:29

attila77 You are officially my maemo.org guru :)
I am on the rush to rewrite the beta version to check the performance as soon as will be visible. Thanks a lot man!