maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Alternatives (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Intex Aqua Ace (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=96037)

bluefoot 2015-10-11 00:59

Intex Aqua Ace

Launched 10 days ago. IMO this will be the Sailfish phone. If not, it should be.

http://intex.in/aqua-ace/index.html

Specs, looks and price ought to be able to sell a few units in India.

Launch frame squares with the expected October launch of their Sailfish phone ...

I doubt Jolla will be able to meet that time frame though, especially as this (or alternative) will likely be the first MTK adaption.

Copernicus 2015-10-11 01:16

Re: Intex Aqua Ace

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluefoot (Post 1485067)
Launch frame squares with the expected October launch of their Sailfish phone ...

Er, just who is expecting an October launch? Intex themselves seemed to be indicating an end-of-year launch in their press release.

Also, the Ace appears to be using a Mediatek processor, whereas Jolla's own press release states:

Quote:

To enable quick time to-market for licensing partners, Jolla has developed a range of optimised Sailfish OS hardware platforms from Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 200/600/800 configurations, a highly scalable mobile processor family offering 4G LTE to everyone in all price ranges.
So, I would expect the first Intex Sailfish phones to be using Snapdragon processors...

EDIT: Sorry, I missed that you already mentioned the Ace is using a Mediatek processor. But still, I'd be surprised Intex would choose hardware that Jolla hadn't targeted for their first Sailfish phone.

gerbick 2015-10-11 01:17

That MediaTek hardware barely beats the Snapdragon 400 series; definitely middle of the road where 6xx and 8xx series are heavier hitters.

In this day and age of "specs mean far too much", that's something to consider. Thanks for linking this though... who knows, it does share a lot with the incoming Intex Jolla phone though. Looks good.

bluefoot 2015-10-11 01:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copernicus (Post 1485068)
Er, just who is expecting an October launch? Intex themselves seemed to be indicating an end-of-year launch in their press release.

Also, the Ace appears to be using a Mediatek processor, whereas Jolla's own press release states:

So, I would expect the first Intex Sailfish phones to be using Snapdragon processors...

EDIT: Sorry, I missed that you already mentioned the Ace is using a Mediatek processor. But still, I'd be surprised Intex would choose hardware that Jolla hadn't targeted for their first Sailfish phone.

Intex have stated more than once on Twitter that it will launch in October. The last time being on September the 12th. The last time, whomever was operating the Twitter account said they'd get back to the user, then 15 minutes later (presumably after checking), gave that answer. Like I say, I have zero expectation of this coming to pass. On past form, Jolla might take another 6 months to finish work on HAD

Qualcomm would be absolutely stupid. More expensive SoCs and platform. Considerably lower performance and features at any given pricepoint. In India, features and performance within very restrictive price constraints are paramount. Intex, for the former reasons are an almost exclusively MTK shop.

If the Sailfish phone doesn't share EVERYTHING with an Android sister-phone, again cost is increased and chances of success are lowered, especially as there'll be no chance of people who bought an Android phone trying SF.

Edit: Intex may no longer have ANY Qualcomm phones. Opened the product pages for the first ~25 smartphones that they currently do. All but 2 were Mediatek. The remaining 2 were Spredtrum. No Qualcomm.

bluefoot 2015-10-11 01:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1485069)
That MediaTek hardware barely beats the Snapdragon 400 series; definitely middle of the road where 6xx and 8xx series are heavier hitters.

In this day and age of "specs mean far too much", that's something to consider. Thanks for linking this though... who knows, it does share a lot with the incoming Intex Jolla phone though. Looks good.

It's much cheaper (and better featured) than the SD400 series. Also current 4xx series are heavily disfunctional and actually slower than the preceding series in many cases. They've been an absolute unmitigated disaster for Qualcomm. Far worse than 6xx and 810 overheating / memory issues and marketshare bleed.

Zero Six 2015-10-11 06:25

my main interest in intex are, will it support the other half?
and will it use same battery as jolla phone does?

kinggo 2015-10-11 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluefoot (Post 1485071)
Qualcomm would be absolutely stupid. More expensive SoCs and platform. Considerably lower performance and features at any given pricepoint. In India, features and performance within very restrictive price constraints are paramount. Intex, for the former reasons are an almost exclusively MTK shop.

No, it would not. MTK brings nothing to FOSS community and does not respect licenses. That alone is good enough for me to never buy anything with mediatek inside. Performance wise, they are not on par with qualcomm in the same segment. And they are failing a lot more often then those with qualcomm SOCs. Cheap phones are also popular here and I know more than enough people that had issues with MTK based phones of different brands, including "premium" ones so that it really makes a pattern. Not that qualcomm is perfect but it does worth that extra money. Especially when it comes to android based device.
Not sure if it will be available outside of India, but if it will be MTK based than I don't even care.

And, BTW, they have nicer phones than this iphone wannabe. Something more squareish like original Jolla.

bluefoot 2015-10-11 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinggo (Post 1485082)
No, it would not. MTK brings nothing to FOSS community and does not respect licenses. That alone is good enough for me to never buy anything with mediatek inside. Performance wise, they are not on par with qualcomm in the same segment. And they are failing a lot more often then those with qualcomm SOCs. Cheap phones are also popular here and I know more than enough people that had issues with MTK based phones of different brands, including "premium" ones so that it really makes a pattern. Not that qualcomm is perfect but it does worth that extra money. Especially when it comes to android based device.
Not sure if it will be available outside of India, but if it will be MTK based than I don't even care.

And, BTW, they have nicer phones than this iphone wannabe. Something more squareish like original Jolla.

You're completely delusional. They absolutely aren't worth it, especially as the 41x series, as I say, are often slower than the preceding 40x series and have huge problems. There's a reason why Qualcomm have almost completely lost the low end in a very short frame of time. Performance, features, price and reliability are TERRIBLE. You're correct that they're not on par with QC on performance .. they significantly exceed their performance.

The 61x series have problems too, and using 61x would make the Sailfish phone by far Intex's most expensive (and likely lowest margin) phone. Why on earth would they do that? Also, given the minimum order numbers from their Chinese or Taiwanese OEM, why the hell would they risk it when there won't be an Android analogue? 8xx isn't even a consideration, and again you could get something just as fast or faster for half the price from MTK.

Why do you think they've gone from a minority Qualcomm shop (10-15% of their phones) to seemingly none?

Ubuntu Touch phones don't seem to have an issue working with MTK, and the full source for those phones are available (unlike 'open' Jolla) ... and available online - again unlike Jolla. If Jolla are adapting MTK hardware, they'd be wise to inspect what Canonical / bQ / Meizu have done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero Six (Post 1485078)
my main interest in intex are, will it support the other half?
and will it use same battery as jolla phone does?

It would be madness if it did. Their phone needs to be a direct analogue to an Android sister phone, per Ubuntu Touch's 2 bQs and 1 Meizu. There's considerable risk for no reward, doing something custom for Sailfish.

Also, the battery's shite and low capacity, and outside of Dirk there's been practically no support for ToH. Furthermore, why on earth would they support either? There've been very low sales of the Jolla Phone, and there are very few active users ... why do something costly and risky to at best please a hard core of a couple of hundred people who demand ToH (and battery? really?) compatibility?

bluefoot 2015-10-16 22:22

P.S. I was wrong. They were still saying as of September the 28th that October was launch month. I'm guessing there will be total silence now until whenever it does actually launch, if it does.

kinggo 2015-10-18 11:25

and that aqua ace is roughly around 180€.
For sailfish device with snapdragon 600 they said it would cost around 15K rupee and that is some 25€ more. Of course, this is unofficial since the phone isn't out yet (if that even happens) but IMO not that much more.
Sure, from android benchmarking data MTK is better but sailfish is not android and benchmarks does not tell everything. I would gladly pay 25€ more for qualcomm.

hardy_magnus 2015-10-19 06:43

Intex may release the sailfish phone in the last week of october or 1st week of november because of Diwali.

eekkelund 2015-10-22 14:11

I haven't seen this before http://intex.in/intex-sailfish-os/

Bundyo 2015-10-22 18:19

The page was there, but not as big as now :)

itdoesntmatt 2015-10-22 18:36

for me it seems the same

kinggo 2015-10-22 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by eekkelund (Post 1486334)
I haven't seen this before http://intex.in/intex-sailfish-os/

I did. Nothing new there :(

lantern 2015-11-05 20:33

So.. It is november.
Did anybody ask them on twitter?

itdoesntmatt 2015-11-06 10:15

i asked ths morning

tortoisedoc 2015-11-06 13:24

So is it November now or Q1 2016????

Copernicus 2015-11-06 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortoisedoc (Post 1487578)
So is it November now or Q1 2016????

And why does everyone believe this anonymous twitter guy anyway????

:)

I still favor the official press release, which indicates the end of the year as the likely earliest time for a release...

lantern 2015-11-06 14:49

http://www.slideshare.net/kritikapur...ystem-53836046

See slide 40.
It says sailfish OS 2.0 will be released in November with Aqua Fish phone. 2.0 was released, but no intex phone. I have a bad feeling...

nodevel 2015-11-06 14:50

Two pieces of information that might clear things up:

An Indian article from July claiming November 2015 release date. - I personally missed this before and heard only about the October target.

Recent tweet response from Intex.

Also taking into account that Jolla announced the release of the special Sailfish India flavor of their operating system for Q1 2016 just two weeks ago, it wouldn't be too surprising if Intex waited to launch this system on their phones on day one.

lantern 2015-12-12 16:23

Could somebody ask them on twitter on current status?
To wait or not to wait.

atlochowski 2015-12-12 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by lantern (Post 1491303)
Could somebody ask them on twitter on current status?
To wait or not to wait.

I asked them on twitter one week ago. They didn't answer.

salyavin 2015-12-12 22:34

I really wouldn't expect a response until we see how Jolla's debt restructuring goes and we can see if Jolla will be able to support/update Sailfish.

r0kk3rz 2015-12-13 13:13

http://reviewjolla.blogspot.com.au/2...-at-jolla.html

Simo seems to think that the Intex project is still going ahead, whether this is based on fact or speculation I'm not sure.

eekkelund 2016-01-01 21:52

http://suomimobiili.fi/ensimmainen-i...tyssa-kuvassa/

They have found first official looking picture of intex aquafish!
http://uploads.suomimobiili.fi/2016/...x-1024x916.png

Edit: as they say in finnish, they can't be sure if it is real.

kinggo 2016-01-01 22:20

I think not......
look at this
http://uploads.suomimobiili.fi/2015/...5-1024x576.png
and this is more than 5 months old. And they both look almost exactly like original Jolla one.

Dave999 2016-01-01 22:23

HAHA...Is the name Aqua...Fish?

Copernicus 2016-01-01 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1493236)

I don't know if they'll keep the sub-name "Fish", but the main collection of Intex phones are the Aqua series:

http://www.intex.in/mobiles/smart-ph...pecs=3893#scrl

So yeah, an Intex Sailfish phone would most logically be a member of the Aqua lineup.

robthebold 2016-01-02 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1493236)

You want Aerofish instead? I'd tap that phone without a warrant. And buy one.

Dave999 2016-01-02 00:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by robthebold (Post 1493260)
You want Aerofish instead? I'd tap that phone without a warrant. And buy one.

I'm fine with anything as long as it's not Intex Phone or Jolla phone. That is simply not acceptable.

mosen 2016-01-11 21:08

we have a new contender to be the second official sailfish os phone :D
This picture was changed on the intex website!

http://mosushi.net/misc/intexaquafish.png

billranton 2016-01-11 22:38

No android tiles on that screen. No Alien Dalvik?

mosen 2016-01-11 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by billranton (Post 1494509)
No android tiles on that screen. No Alien Dalvik?

Well they have pictures of Whatsapp and facebook client further down the page

Edit: found better image without the bars:
b3-phone.png
http://intex.in/intex-sailfish-os/images/b3-phone.png

And look at intex current "Flagship" that has quite the same body :D
2GB and Quadcore and 4000mah battery for NPR 17999.00 (164€) pleeeease!

Edit2: I missed Simos ReviewJolla Post! He made a nice wrapup even on 08.01. and speculates on 3GB!

salyavin 2016-01-12 03:51

The memory even 2GB would be a huge help over the Jolla phone especially if one wants to run dalvik. I am interested in what frequencies the modem supports which is very important for knowing where we can reasonably use the phone if we buy it via ebay or some such.

theonelaw 2016-01-12 05:48

If you sharpened the corners just a little bit more you could use the phone as a boxcutter :D

http://intex.in/intex-sailfish-os/images/b4-img1.png

Hope this thing has enough grunt to handle big emails.

What is the current email application in Sailfish ?

If it is Gmail then maybe I ought to be looking somewhere else

juiceme 2016-01-12 06:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by theonelaw (Post 1494525)
If you sharpened the corners just a little bit more you could use the phone as a boxcutter :D

Never heard the word before, had to google for images.... We call that kind of thing a carpet-knife :D

Quote:

Hope this thing has enough grunt to handle big emails.

Wot? how big are you talking, I have never had any email problems with SFOS on the Jolla device...
The email application is a bit basic but works well for me.

theonelaw 2016-01-12 06:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1494529)
Never heard the word before, had to google for images.... We call that kind of thing a carpet-knife :D

I worked at Kmart back in the days before carpet (B.C., I am that ancient...)

Quote:

Wot? how big are you talking, I have never had any email problems with SFOS on the Jolla device...
The email application is a bit basic but works well for me.
I have a number of accounts and my email load is quite heavy (total size in my n900 is around 7g right now),
along with all the administrative overhead.
I usually use claws which purrs through everything
and configures to do exactly what I want and nothing less.

Unlike Ubuntu's DEKKO which does only what the dev's permit.
(Dekko is more Ubuntu Propriecr@p ® )
Thunderbird would be okay sort of,
and other choices are possibly okay if I can port them ?

Is there a way to compile on device ?
If so I would just buy it anyway and have a go at it...

(Once upon a time I used Kmail which was quite okay)

juiceme 2016-01-12 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by theonelaw (Post 1494531)
I worked at Kmart back in the days before carpet (B.C., I am that ancient...)

Ah, so kmart dates back to the Bronze-Age... kinda figures. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by theonelaw (Post 1494531)
I have a number of accounts and my email load is quite heavy (total size in my n900 is around 7g right now),
along with all the administrative overhead.
I usually use claws which purrs through everything
and configures to do exactly what I want and nothing less.

Unlike Ubuntu's DEKKO which does only what the dev's permit.
(Dekko is more Ubuntu Propriecr@p ® )
Thunderbird would be okay sort of,
and other choices are possibly okay if I can port them ?

Is there a way to compile on device ?
If so I would just buy it anyway and have a go at it...

(Once upon a time I used Kmail which was quite okay)

Of course you can compile and package on the device, it would be rather pointless otherways, IMHO.

There are some limitations though; If I remember correctly some development libraries can conflict with the versions you have on the device and so it is recommend that you chroot your development environment but that relates to some GUI stuff.
As I mainly do console stuff I have not needed to do that. Pretty much anything I need compiles fairly cleanly.

KylliOrvokki 2016-01-12 08:53

Quote:

Here is some information about email:
https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a...il-application

https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/a...0624121901.jpg