maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   N900 clock replacement [continued] (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81582)

ade 2012-01-13 18:49

N900 clock replacement [continued]

2 Attachment(s)
[Please note I am no longer involved in this project.]

Freemangordon has been involved in refactoring.

The source can be found in https://github.com/community-ssu/clock-ui/

Downloads:
Official version available in the cssu-devel repo: http://maemo.merlin1991.at/cssu/comm...ee/c/clock-ui/

CepiPerez 2012-01-13 18:59

Re: N900 clock replacement [continued]

Thanks for keep the project alive
I didn't continue with this project cause I don't have my N900 anymore
I've added you to osso-clock in gitorious with admin rights
Now you can do what you want ;)

ade 2012-01-14 16:51

Happy to say I think I made big progress in the AM/PM issue today.

Fix 1:
The alarm time was translated to the locale format, but the Qt function that was used for that gave some unpredictable results. Using the US setting gave me a AM/PM result, while I had 24 hour clock actived.
I now use a different function, that seems to do a better job.

Fix 2:
The clock replacement was hardcoded on AM/PM. Not only for texts on the display, but also for checks, while the locale value can be different (in Finnish for example).
The text and checks of AM/PM are now based on the local settings.

I have done check in US, Finnish and Dutch settings.

New version can be download from the link in the first post.

@toxaris, can you also tell me if your problem is solved now?

Shinigamijim 2012-01-14 18:09

Thank you very much for your effort, I'd love to see it as part of the CSSU

peter2p 2012-01-14 19:55

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ade (Post 1150561)
New version can be download from the link in the first post.

Thx ade & CepiPerez, another feature in portrait mode, just added your file, did a test and it's working...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ade (Post 1150223)
  • minor cosmetic changed may still be needed

On the tab Wereldklokken I saw on the Lokale Tijd (Brussel, Belgie)
some minor mistake but if i add bxl as a new worldclock it's ok

ade 2012-01-14 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter2p (Post 1150613)
Thx ade, another feature in portrait mode, just added your file, did a test and it's working...

Thanks for noticing, I will have a look at it (looks like a characterset issue).

Meanwhile a new version. I did not handle local settings using "a.m" and "p.m" (with the dots) well. That's the case in German non 24h clock. Sorry for the frequent updates, but I urge people to use the latest version so they can see if there are still bugs. I cannot test all those languages with there settings on my own with every change :)

ade 2012-01-14 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter2p (Post 1150613)
Thx ade & CepiPerez, another feature in portrait mode, just added your file, did a test and it's working...

peter2p,

Already made a fix for you (localtime did not use Utf8).

New download available from link in first post.

"Met de groeten uit Nederland" :)

peter2p 2012-01-14 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by ade (Post 1150626)
Thanks for noticing, I will have a look at it (looks like a characterset issue).

Meanwhile a new version. I did not handle local settings using "a.m" and "p.m" (with the dots) well. That's the case in German non 24h clock. Sorry for the frequent updates, but I urge people to use the latest version so they can see if there are still bugs. I cannot test all those languages with there settings on my own with every change :)

Hey ade, i can comfirm that your latest update solved the ë issue, thx again, great job man...:)
I'm sure there will be other members to test other languages but dutch seems fine now.
Groeten uit Belgie :)

degtep 2012-01-15 06:57

How about source code?

ade 2012-01-15 08:37

My intention is to deal with that today (first wanted to do some bugfixing).
May take some time as I am not that experienced with git.

Edit: changes are merged, see source link in first post.

degtep 2012-01-15 13:39

Thank you!

toxaris 2012-01-15 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by ade (Post 1150561)
@toxaris, can you also tell me if your problem is solved now?

Jepp, all the problems with AM/PM is gone, great.
I will test it for a few days with setting alarms and so on.

Thx for continue the development of Worldclock.

artpra 2012-01-16 09:44

@ade
(almost) all problems reported by me in the previous thread are now solved. Thanks.

App still closes itself though. In a random way, especially when not active (in background). When this bug is fixed, I think it will be right time to debianize it, push it to the repos and contact CSSU devs to implement it in CSSU testing.

Feature request 1: add seconds at the main view, here (and maybe align time and date text field to the center):
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/9306/clock1.jpg

Feature request 2: on "World clocks" view, make it possible to change system clock to desired time zone. Explanation: one can travel to Tokio, Paris and New York, so he adds this three cities to the list, but can only view what time is there. He can`t change automatically system time, so he must go to control panel when he lands in that specific city. It should be possible to change system clock via long press on city name directly from Clock app "World clocks" view, so there will be two options "Delete" and "Set as main".

ade 2012-01-16 20:19

Random crashing is already in the known issues list in the first post.

This crashing will most likely be the next thing on my todo list. I am afraid it could be a tough nut to crack.

About feature request 1:

The centering of the clock has already crossed my mind, stylistically it would look better. Adding seconds should theoretically not be a major change (but you never know till you try to implement it :)).

About feature request 2:
You do not have to start the control panel, as you can start "change date and time" from the main clockmenu.
The example situation you describe sounds valid, but don't expect that feature from me. It is going to cost me too much of my spare time to figure everything out, and I want to work on some other things too. Maybe some other developer is interested in picking this up.

My goal will stay to get the replacement clock acceptable for CSSU, not to expand it with new features. I hope we can get to that acceptance in the end.

artpra 2012-01-18 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ade (Post 1151496)
My goal will stay to get the replacement clock acceptable for CSSU, not to expand it with new features. I hope we can get to that acceptance in the end.

Fully understood.

Is adding timezones map instead of list possible? Probably it means involving a lot of work too (not a single byte of code from the original one to reuse).

ade 2012-01-18 23:17

New version can be downloaded (see link first page)

Changes (requests artpra):
- Centering of current time in portrait mode
- Adding seconds to current time display

The screenshot on the first page is updated to show the result.

Remark:
Seconds are only shown in portrait mode. In landscape mode, displaying the seconds will lead to 10% cpu usage. That is probably due to the frequent refresh on top of the wallpaper image (some repaint action).

Status crash investigation:
No progress to report. A compiled version with debug option does not crash, so that makes debugging difficult. Most logical it is some memory violation that does not occur with debug stuff compiled. Maybe some C(++) guru can walk through the code?

@artpra: your guess is right, I am not going to reimplement the timezone map :D

Estel 2012-01-18 23:34

Thanks very much, ade!

Any way to implement seconds in landscape view, without this "borked" repaint, resulting in high CPU usage? It would be great for non-vertical users.

/Estel

// Edit

Mayve just plain option to disable wallpaper? I would trade wallpaper for seconds count everyday.

ade 2012-01-18 23:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1152562)
Thanks very much, ade!

Any way to implement seconds in landscape view, without this "borked" repaint, resulting in high CPU usage? It would be great for non-vertical users.

/Estel

// Edit

Mayve just plain option to disable wallpaper? I would trade wallpaper for seconds count everyday.

At the moment, I would not know how to resolve that.
If you ask me, I would get rid of the wallpaper background (I see it as unnecessary overhead). CepiPerez must have introduced it to resemble the original clock as much as possible. No idea what the general user preference is on this matter.

Estel 2012-01-19 00:02

+1 on removing it. I'm pretty sure, that during minute/hour change, it also adds unnecessary CPU usage due to repainting - of course, it's just less visible, than when repainting every second.

/Estel

ade 2012-01-19 00:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1152578)
+1 on removing it. I'm pretty sure, that during minute/hour change, it also adds unnecessary CPU usage due to repainting - of course, it's just less visible, than when repainting every second.

/Estel

Correct, I see a short cpu increase to 10% once the minute is updated in landscape mode.
P.s. CepiPerez refreshed the clock every 10 seconds. The fact that I now update it every second has no visible cpu impact.

We could start a poll on this wallpaper subject :)

neboja 2012-01-19 01:19

i would not change (remove) background for landscape... it wouldn't represent a true replacement that way
(just my opinion) ;)

ivgalvez 2012-01-19 08:04

Make it configurable. Everybody happy :D

peter2p 2012-01-19 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by ade (Post 1152558)
New version can be downloaded (see link first page)

Thx ade, looking very nice with the seconds in portrait mode.
About the background...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivgalvez (Post 1152664)

Seems a nice option if it is possible maybe both landscape and portrait :)

TransTech 2012-01-19 09:28

i didnt get the clock background in landscape... :).. is it removed..?

ade 2012-01-19 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by TransTech (Post 1152687)

Not by me. It should load /etc/hildon/theme/backgrounds/clock.png

peter2p 2012-01-19 09:39

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TransTech (Post 1152687)

I think it's the background from the theme you've installed
i have Carbon theme but changed the clock.png into a copy from background file i use on the desktop.
i copied it to /usr/share/themes/carbon/backgrounds

ade 2012-01-19 09:51

Quote:

Except for the one to create it ;)

I do not like to introduce personal preference settings, meaning more complexity and possibly some issues.
If it should resemble the original clock as much as possible, I'll leave it this way. Since the original clock does not have a portrait mode, we have more freedom for that screen :)

ade 2012-01-19 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter2p (Post 1152693)
i have Carbon theme but changed the clock.png into a copy from background file i use on the desktop.

Yes, /etc/hildon/theme/backgrounds/clock.png is used, but that links to your theme image. I also have carbon as theme, so eventually
/opt/maemo/usr/share/themes/carbon/backgrounds/clock.png is used in my case.

sidd211095 2012-01-19 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter2p (Post 1152693)

Mind sharing the clock background image ?

pelago 2012-01-19 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by artpra (Post 1152249)
Is adding timezones map instead of list possible? Probably it means involving a lot of work too (not a single byte of code from the original one to reuse).

Personally I was never very happy with the timezone map. For a start, it doesn't scroll properly. I think a list of timezones is fine.

Quote:

Well, I'm not so sure introducing an option for this is a good idea in general. See Joel on Software's view of options. It would be better to see if it was possible to fix things so that the clock can update once per second with a background image, but without it taking 10% CPU, or just leave the seconds off for the time being.

ade 2012-01-19 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelago (Post 1152719)
Personally I was never very happy with the timezone map. For a start, it doesn't scroll properly. I think a list of timezones is fine.

Well, I'm not so sure introducing an option for this is a good idea in general. See Joel on Software's view of options. It would be better to see if it was possible to fix things so that the clock can update once per second with a background image, but without it taking 10% CPU, or just leave the seconds off for the time being.

Thanks for the link, good reading, it reflexes the design dilemma's in a clear way.
As for the timezone map: I have the same preference for the list.

artpra 2012-01-19 14:10

@ade
My suggestion for timezone map was strictly taken from "being the same as original" point of view. It would be also a big problem to show it for the user in portrait mode (map for landscape and list for portrait?). So lets forget about it (for now at least ).

I`m with Estel on wallpaper dilemma - remove it, leaving plain background with icons, just like in portrait mode until a method for CPU usage is found (if ever).

Thank You for the new version.

peter2p 2012-01-19 22:20

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidd211095 (Post 1152700)
Mind sharing the clock background image ?

No problem sidd, here's the pic :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ade (Post 1152699)
Yes, /etc/hildon/theme/backgrounds/clock.png is used, but that links to your theme image. I also have carbon as theme, so eventually
/opt/maemo/usr/share/themes/carbon/backgrounds/clock.png is used in my case.

No problem ade, both ways works just fine i guess, thx ;)

ioncelmare 2012-01-19 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by ade (Post 1152698)
Except for the one to create it ;)

I do not like to introduce personal preference settings, meaning more complexity and possibly some issues.
If it should resemble the original clock as much as possible, I'll leave it this way. Since the original clock does not have a portrait mode, we have more freedom for that screen :)

due to lack of options in all maemo original applications, please allow me to disagree.
if u can do something to integrate more options, please do so. for all almost normal users like me, we would love to be able to have more settings for base applications.

i'm just say my point of view regarding your affirmation as a general note, not regarding this application that i don't use because of lack of other features than original ( as i undestud reading thru ).

ed_boner 2012-01-19 23:15

about that, i compare this implementation to the Open Media Player one. Not only they made the madia player work in portrait, as you did to worldclock, but add subtil but appreciated changes.
One i dont use is the «entertainment view», but something similar could be very useful in clock replacement, adding the function of night watch: i sleep very bad and every time i wake up at night i reach and have to tap n900 to see the time, or get it closer to me...if there was a function like a low battery consumption big clock, just indicating current time and next alarm, it would be awsome (something like digiclock, but not a monster of draining battery like that!)..well..just an idea..maybe for the future..

Estel 2012-01-20 02:01

ade, cant agree with idea of leaving background, that wakes up CPU to 10% due to repaint on every change, be it minute or second.

Please, just disable background image, until someone introduce proper fix. Added bonus, is that we could have seconds view in landscape to, without negative effects :)
---

*Evil* way would be to enable seconds view on landscape, for "proper replacement" fans - let them enjoy constant + 10% CPU usage, if they can't live without clock background. Others may just delete image file ;)

Of course joking (kinda) on this last proposition.

/Estel

LavaCroft 2012-01-20 15:54

Thank you very much for this fine clone. I use it daily and have encountered one problem as of yet. (See below.)

I do have one feature request that is already mentioned here, namely a specialized view that tries to mimic a standard alarm clock.

Good luck with it!

[EDIT]
Seems I found a small bug:

These are my regional settings:
http://lcd.satgnu.net/pics/annah/Scr...120-170724.png

This is what the home screen shows if the alarm is more than 24h(?) in the future:
http://lcd.satgnu.net/pics/annah/Scr...120-170732.png

Notice how suddenly the Dutch language is used.

ade 2012-01-22 00:54

Looks like I found a provisionary way to prevent the replacement clock from crashing: wrap it in a shellscript. Additional instructions can be found in the first post.

I still haven't made up my mind about the wallpaper/seconds discussion...

@LavaCroft:
I see you have modified your post with a possible small bug. Will try to repoduce it.
edit:
bug confirmed

ade 2012-01-22 14:15

Latest bug report is from LavaCroft is fixed.

To make the clock replacement also stable, I decided to add the shellscript for now. Please read the new install instructions in the first post. You can also find the link to the newest download over there.

It would also mean (for the first time :)) we have no reported bugs open at the moment, only change/feature requests.

peter2p 2012-01-22 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ade (Post 1154002)
Please read the new install instructions in the first post. You can also find the link to the newest download over there.

Thx ade, just installed the latest version, works great :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ade (Post 1154002)
It would also mean (for the first time :)) we have no reported bugs open at the moment, only change/feature requests.

I saw not a bug, rather a minor cosmetic improvement.
Could you in portrait mode make the popup from Clock/locales or Landinstellingen as high as Clock/Adjust Time and Date?
It is possible to scroll now but there is room enough, i guess :)