maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Cracked N9 Screen - Spare Parts? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81730)

lebb53 2012-03-22 20:03

Re: Cracked N9 Screen - Spare Parts?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

My screen cracked on monday, when it fell from half a meter to the ground (it was with a screen protector and the original case).

I've got back it today with a new screen from my mobile provider. The positive thing, the screen and the repair cost around 70 dollars.

Greets from Peru!

noipv4 2012-03-23 04:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by smart (Post 1182850)
hello,
big brother is back repaired a few minutes, about 10 days to the office for a repair cost of 150 € .... all things considered (model, original spare parts availability, that is not officially for sale in Italy) it seems a good price and an acceptable time.
To keep for a few days my 2 n9, however, prefer to use my first purchase, it is already updated to pr1.2 while the second purchase is a cv switzerland still standing at PR1.1. Maybe in a few days I'll sell it, I have yet to decide whether to keep or give away as a spare car to my family ... to make sure I always have one ready ... hahaha ... I really think that the swipe is almost a drug with many other functions ... in fact I want to use swipe on all phones (not n9) of my friends ... (s2-iphone-htc. .. etc etc. ..) but you can not ... hahaha ...
greetings and congratulations to all the good forum for daily updates.
Hello.

Great to know that you have the big brother back :)
Now only if Nokia will make phones with tempered glass!!
Gorilla glass is not typical Nokia strong. All Nokias should be made like the indestructible 3300 series!

noipv4 2012-03-23 04:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by lebb53 (Post 1182906)
Hello,

My screen cracked on monday, when it fell from half a meter to the ground (it was with a screen protector and the original case).

I've got back it today with a new screen from my mobile provider. The positive thing, the screen and the repair cost around 70 dollars.

Greets from Peru!

Did you get your phone repaired in Peru? 70 dollars is a real bargain! In the US the screen costs more than 100 dollars.

lebb53 2012-03-23 05:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by noipv4 (Post 1183051)
Did you get your phone repaired in Peru? 70 dollars is a real bargain! In the US the screen costs more than 100 dollars.

Yes, I've got my phone repaired in Peru, in Movistar (as I bought the phone from them). Yes I know (I do some research because one of my options was to buy a screen from ebay and replaced it myself) that it's not expensive at all. Don't know why the price difference.

Greets!

somedude 2012-03-23 15:25

I am trying to find the torx screws for the N9, tried to swap to cyan and stripped the head off of a chassis, need a replacement screw. And also need to find out how to take the head stripped screw out of the the chassis any ideas guys?

vitaminj 2012-03-23 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by somedude (Post 1183237)
I am trying to find the torx screws for the N9, tried to swap to cyan and stripped the head off of a chassis, need a replacement screw. And also need to find out how to take the head stripped screw out of the the chassis any ideas guys?

I'm in exactly the same situation. Got all screws out except the top-right silver one which wouldn't budge and is now stripped. Put the phone back together without 4 screws and the retaining clip thing and it's working fine! So until I can borrow a mini dremel type thing and extract/kill the offending screw (and probably break the phone at the same time) I'm still with a black case, but I shouldn't to worry about a missing screw afterwards - we'll have just upgraded to a very slightly lighter version of the standard n9!

somedude 2012-03-24 05:04

found a shop close by they want $30 to do a replacement housing, will just take it to them tomorrow

anidel 2012-04-12 19:49

Whereabout this?

Here in London the local Nokia Care Point asked 120 pounds for the fix.
At first I thought it was expensive, now I realize it's very cheap!

But if I can find a cheaper alternative, I'd go for that, even if that means changing it myself (as I did for my N900 LCD :D)

Ynohtna 2012-04-17 21:02

hmmm after seeing some of the pictures... I guess I can wait a bit longer to actually replace my screen!

droosie 2012-04-23 17:24

Hi Everyone - I'm new to the forum. I successfully replaced my N9 screen (it was cracked) and housing (from black to blue) this weekend. The hardest part was probably knifing the white screen frame piece off the old screen and gluing it onto the new one.

However, I have run into a minor problem, which i just discovered this morning. it appears that one small area of the screen is not registering directional swipes. It's not really noticeable unless you are using the swype keyboard, so the phone is fully usuable for the time being.

Even though I can deal with not fixing it, I'm wondering if anyone can help me diagnose the problem. Could it be one of the metallic prongs on the back of the screen is not making good contact? Or is it the screen connector itself? Or is it a damaged screen? Any help would be appreciated.

jw461 2012-07-09 06:24

How did you "knife" the white frame off? I started doing it using a razor blade and even though I was going very slow, I think I may have cracked the LCD (I can see a crack behind the glass if I use a flashlight). Now I'm not sure how to proceed.

vitaminj 2012-07-09 11:55

Argh! The word "knife" anywhere near the screen makes me shudder!

You need to unscrew the two screws inside the top, and then use the gap where the screw used to be next to the headphone port to put in a small screwdriver and lever the top-left corner of the screen out. The sim-slot-side screw levering is harder because there's nothing solid to lever against and you need to try to not damage the case (if you want to keep it).
Once enough of the top is away from the case, use a guitar plectrum or similarly solid small plastic thing to prise the screen away all the way round.
There's videos of this being done, linked to on this thread I think.

taviman 2012-07-10 03:00

Oh brother! This thread turned into a horror story.
I have removed the screen myself with no trouble at all. Just used my fingernail to completely lift the screen. I had to repaint the black edge of the screen on the back (The paint had peeled tiny bit on the edge, so it looked like it was cracked in a certain position). A permanent marker did the job perfectly.

Ah, the N9 could have been the best candidate ever for a weather-tight phone. Just add a sealing here and there and a few things designed a bit differently.
Anybody noticed how much dust these phones collect inside?

jw461 2012-07-11 02:02

Horror story indeed.........my display is trashed.

What I thought was adhesive residue was actually the digitizer/LCD/whatever cracking right under the glass. So if anyone wants a N9 for parts or to buy an LCD for it, it's up on ebay # 290742572967 :(

Back to the ol' N900 for me.

droosie 2012-07-12 20:26

I purchased an exacto knife from at art supply store, ran the screen + white frame under an extremely hot laptop vent for about 10 minutes, and slowly but surely exactoed the screen from the frame. Anytime it appeared to be hard to cut I would put the screen back under the laptop vent. Then, I attached the new screen purchased from ebay to the white frame with crazy glue also purchased from the art supply store. Like i said, everything worked fine (except for one minor spot in the screen not working, it still doesnt work but i'm afraid to re-open the phone).

droosie 2012-07-12 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminj (Post 1234385)
Argh! The word "knife" anywhere near the screen makes me shudder!

You need to unscrew the two screws inside the top, and then use the gap where the screw used to be next to the headphone port to put in a small screwdriver and lever the top-left corner of the screen out. The sim-slot-side screw levering is harder because there's nothing solid to lever against and you need to try to not damage the case (if you want to keep it).
Once enough of the top is away from the case, use a guitar plectrum or similarly solid small plastic thing to prise the screen away all the way round.
There's videos of this being done, linked to on this thread I think.

I think you're referring to removing the screen + white frame from the housing. However, if your screen is cracked and you want to replace it, the only solution is to separate the existing screen from the white frame by knifing it off which is what I was describing before.

myk 2012-07-19 06:00

So nobody has managed to replace just the glass? ($20 on ebay, rather than the whole AMOLED & touchscreen assembly)

But I see now display assemblies for as little as $120 on ebay. Can anyone vouch for the quality of the displays from HK? I worry they are cheap LCDs, not original Amoled. Or worse, made for one of the Chinese N9 look-alikes, and completely incompatible with the real N9. The people doing the listings on ebay would not know.

This one is definitely fake: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160831321501
See the 3 buttons on the bottom of the screen? [shudder]

automagic68 2012-08-12 01:44

Has anyone bought a screen from either eBay user professorport or professorparts? They claim the N9 screens they sell are OEM yet when I sent them a message to confirm if it's the same screen used in Nokia Factories to build N9s they've yet to reply back to me. I assume they wouldn't lie plus they are US sellers, yet the fact that it is eBay can sometimes make me apprehensive. :confused:

myk 2012-08-12 02:44

Very possibly the people selling them on ebay don't really know anything about the product, aside from the short description from their supplier.

Unless somebody can confirm the quality of the ebay screens, I will put up with the cracks in mine.

ZackMorris 2012-08-12 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by automagic68 (Post 1250700)
Has anyone bought a screen from either eBay user professorport or professorparts? They claim the N9 screens they sell are OEM yet when I sent them a message to confirm if it's the same screen used in Nokia Factories to build N9s they've yet to reply back to me. I assume they wouldn't lie plus they are US sellers, yet the fact that it is eBay can sometimes make me apprehensive. :confused:

I Purchased a screen from them, and it is Oem But they aren't based in the USA, that Chinese prick that runs that account is a liar. INeeded my screen quickly as I had a trip that I Was going on and I asked if he was based in the USA and he said sure. This ***** charges a premium but sends stuff from China to a Forwarding address in Florida and it takes forever to get your stuff. I'd take my business elsewhere.

tconrado 2012-08-12 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackMorris (Post 1250947)
I Purchased a screen from them, and it is Oem But they aren't based in the USA, that Chinese prick that runs that account is a liar. INeeded my screen quickly as I had a trip that I Was going on and I asked if he was based in the USA and he said sure. This ***** charges a premium but sends stuff from China to a Forwarding address in Florida and it takes forever to get your stuff. I'd take my business elsewhere.

hey dude, just a single question: how do u know it is really oem? I mean, have the same quality...

Gybe 2012-08-12 18:52

So, I dropped my N9 and result was a cracked black screen. A couple of questions:

1. As the screen does not work any more, I am not able to enter my lock code, which seems to mean that I am not able to mount the device to a computer, and I'd like to get some photos out of the N9. Any ideas how?
2. Other broken screens in this thread seem to work somehow even if broken. Does this mean that in my phone there is also something else broken? (Does not sound like a good plan to pay 180 eur for a new screen only to find that there is something else broken...)
3. If someone has extra screens or willingness to buy the remainings of my phone, I am open to suggestions (location: Finland)

thedead1440 2012-08-13 06:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gybe (Post 1251009)
So, I dropped my N9 and result was a cracked black screen. A couple of questions:

1. As the screen does not work any more, I am not able to enter my lock code, which seems to mean that I am not able to mount the device to a computer, and I'd like to get some photos out of the N9. Any ideas how?
2. Other broken screens in this thread seem to work somehow even if broken. Does this mean that in my phone there is also something else broken? (Does not sound like a good plan to pay 180 eur for a new screen only to find that there is something else broken...)
3. If someone has extra screens or willingness to buy the remainings of my phone, I am open to suggestions (location: Finland)

Do you mean that after you tried to mount it as described here it wouldn't get mounted?

Gybe 2012-08-13 19:33

Thanks, I need to try those once I have a bit more time.

ZackMorris 2012-08-14 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by tconrado (Post 1250957)
hey dude, just a single question: how do u know it is really oem? I mean, have the same quality...

Every marking was identical to the screen I replaced and the quality was the same.

noetus 2012-08-19 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSkies (Post 1153450)
The screens seem quite expensive. Better take your N9 apart, sell the parts (the USB cover, the shell, the soft cover, the battery and so on) on ebay or in here in the buy/sell forum, add some 50 bucks or more to the total revenue and buy a new phone. You can surely get more money for parts this way plus help a few people in here with spare parts too.

I paid almost 450 euro for my N9. if I was to buy and replace a screen for another 150 EUR (33% of the original price) this is what I'd do.

How much is your time worth? Seems like it would have to be not much to make all this work and bother of selling parts individually worthwhile.

MINKIN2 2012-09-03 14:54

Where is the best place to buy a new touchscreen+LCD in the UK ATM?

Any reputable dealers?

skysmo 2012-10-04 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by myk (Post 1239580)
So nobody has managed to replace just the glass? ($20 on ebay, rather than the whole AMOLED & touchscreen assembly)

But I see now display assemblies for as little as $120 on ebay. Can anyone vouch for the quality of the displays from HK? I worry they are cheap LCDs, not original Amoled. Or worse, made for one of the Chinese N9 look-alikes, and completely incompatible with the real N9. The people doing the listings on ebay would not know.

This one is definitely fake: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160831321501
See the 3 buttons on the bottom of the screen? [shudder]

I bought one and it arrived today. Looks like an original one and wirks perfect.

B U T ( !!!!!!) on the backside of the display the original metal frame and the clips are missing. No chance to fix it on the phone. I dont see a way to get the parts from my broken original display. Seems that they are fixed with glue.
ow how to handle that. Its so nice to have a uncracked screen in the phone...

myk 2012-10-05 02:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by skysmo (Post 1276453)
I dont see a way to get the parts from my broken original display. Seems that they are fixed with glue....

See droosie's posts above. He used hot air and a scalple-type knife to remove the frame from the old screen.

nonikhanna 2012-10-09 10:28

Hi, I dropped my N9 and the screen cracked. It was just the gorilla glass i think and the digitizer works completely fine. I can use the phone, see everything and do everything. just the screen is cracked. is it possible to repair just the cracked glass?

I had seen an advertisement for those car glass repair kits.
http://www.amazon.com/Windsheild-Pro.../dp/B0015D46CE

would this be possible to fix my problem?

Thank you for your time. -Noni

thedead1440 2012-10-09 10:41

Noni,

If you have some hair-line cracks and relatively minor ones it might work out otherwise you are out of luck and need to get it replaced...

nonikhanna 2012-10-12 15:18

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1278326)
Noni,

If you have some hair-line cracks and relatively minor ones it might work out otherwise you are out of luck and need to get it replaced...

how about this screen?

Edit: Phone and touchscreen works perfectly fine, its just.... the beautiful N9 screen is cracked, and I don't really wanna pay soo much just for aesthetics. :(

ajaym28 2012-10-13 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by somedude (Post 1153401)
converting that to US$ is $192, palco in Alabama can fix it for you for 178 and thats including shipping charges, if you in USA and don't want to do it yourself its better to send it to palco, myself i bought a screen from eBay and fixed it myself costing me total of $125.99

Hey can u please give me link where did you order the display screen , me too looking for the same. Thx in advance

ajaym28 2012-10-13 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1278326)
Noni,

Can u pls lemme know where can i get the display screen

thedead1440 2012-10-14 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonikhanna (Post 1279764)
how about this screen?

Edit: Phone and touchscreen works perfectly fine, its just.... the beautiful N9 screen is cracked, and I don't really wanna pay soo much just for aesthetics. :(

I think the damage done on the corner is quite substantial to be repaired with that substance...I would suggest a replacement...

thedead1440 2012-10-14 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajaym28 (Post 1280037)
Can u pls lemme know where can i get the display screen

ebay is your friend ;)

I haven't searched for it before so have no clue...

ranbaxy 2012-10-14 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1280363)
ebay is your friend ;)

I haven't searched for it before so have no clue...

Damn :eek: Isn't 125 USD too costly for the display? :eek:

ranbaxy 2012-10-14 11:24

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-AMO...item1e728277fd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ORIGINAL...item35c09f38b6

thedead1440 2012-10-14 11:29

ranbaxy,

that's pretty expensive isn't it...Maybe someone else who has got their screen replaced could advice on the pricing?

wout.martens 2012-10-14 14:32

It is just expensive... And quite logical, if you would pay only for the glass it's quite cheap BUT it's just impossible to replace only the glass.

You need to spend a bit more if you want to fix it.
Be careful when replacing it because the cable of the proximity sensor can break easily if you use too much force :)